• Total voters
Turn 3 Orders
Summary:
  • Barracks and training facilities built for recruited fighters
  • Building friendly relations with Tyr Connail
  • Trade expansion east and west for increased revenue and prosperity
  • Non opposition to piracy of Uladh trade with Britain or along the coast
  • Borders put on alert for Uladh raiders

Beware, I would see this as at least 3 separate orders, you shall have to pick which one you find the most important. You can do the latter ones, but there will be no potential VAM

Summary:
  • Barracks and training facilities built for recruited fighters
  • Building friendly relations with Tyr Connail
  • Trade expansion east and west for increased revenue and prosperity
  • Non opposition to piracy of Uladh trade with Britain or along the coast
  • Borders put on alert for Uladh raiders
So we only get one significant action per turn? Ok this one then.

Barracks and training facilities built for recruited fighters

Indeed (unless you obtain a VAM which allows for more!)

One thing perhaps to bare in mind.. is even if you are outright attacked, you will get a ROLL TO DODGE, regardless of your nations readyness. This is quick and dirty! You can always make your nations bigger and stronger, but that will take time (a turn) for any significant benefits.. but you will never truly be "surprised".

Let's keep it simple this time, in orders to get orders in quick
Mumha orders
Expand on the trading posts in the east. Particularly expand docks and such, and give a tax break for shipments to and from Britain, seeing the increased exchange there - even with it being largely warbased of our northern neighbour, there may be money to be made for us.

I would like to play Dal Ariadi after the update, if that is okay.

man people are crowding North Ireland. Should've started in the south, had some breathing room :p

Tyr Connail

llan mac Fráech was furious. While his men polished their swords, Uladh's were out bathed in blood and glory. His men must advance at once, ready to meet any who resist them! Claim territory to the South

Dal Ariadi

Concerned with happenings both over the borders, and at sea, Dúnlainge mac Finchada orders a series of forts to be built along the border between themselves and Uladh's new claims. Fortify Border

Update 3

Laighn

Spoiler :
With fear on his side, Illan looked forward with his plans. All around him many minor leaders were expanding and increasing their strength, but what is strength worth, without an heir? The marriage to a daughter of a minor lord under his rule was to cement that direction. A son will soon be a reality.

With a son on the way, Illan wanted to make sure his fledgling realm survives and gets more powerful. East of him were vast rich lands, and the coast. Illan had dreams of ships going across the water, raiding Britain and bringing great wealth. The lords were called, the levies were raised but Illan needed a reason to go.

Christ will be the reason. Those lands have become somewhat Christian, but not enough, and not the rulers. He will bring the land under the name of the one true good, that was his reasoning to the outside world for the fighting.

Take the military to occupy and annex the eastern province, get on the coast as quickly as possible, all else if less important.

Roll 19: A strong son was foretold, and the locals are pleased. His fearsome father might soften in fatherhood? Regardless, as Illan’s men splashed in the waves his mind was on other things. (A heir is born, respected by the local rivals. Strength grows)

Dumnonia

Spoiler :
As Ambrosius Aurelianus returned with his forces to Dumnonia, followed by Romanized cohorts and Brittonic warbands alike, he did so in the spirit of triumph. Of course, Rome itself was both far too distant to reach in a timely manner and currently occupied by rebellious Germanic foederati, so returning to the capital in act of Triumph was wholly unlikely - but the spirit, the joy and festivity of such a victory? It was alight in the hearts of all the men, his own and his allies'. Both sides agreed that the best way to celebrate such a victory in repelling the Saxons was a feast, but there was one question much more divisive. Where?

One location favoured by the Britons who had maintained their traditions in the face of Rome was a hillfort to the west on the coast, that the Saxons would call 'Worlebury'. It was used by Brittonic chiefs long ago, and was situated on the coast; perfect, the chiefs reasoned, to be close to the trade with the Hibernians to the west. Ambrosius' advisors, however, advised somewhere else to hold court: the Vicus of Aquae Sulis to the east. It was a rather Romanized settlement, they reasoned, and while it was not large (especially after years of urban decline), it was decently fortified, equipped with thick stone walls rather than the earthen ones of the hillforts; however, it would still be an acceptable capital for the Britons thanks to it being founded on the holy site of an ancient Britonnic goddess. Finally, it was on the eastern edge of Ambrosius' territory, allowing him to swiftly respond to any Saxon incursions that might try to avenge the battle.

After some deliberation, Ambrosius made his choice; He would hold court at Aquae Sulis!

The Feast of Ambrosius

Well in advance of his forces' return, he sent messengers ahead of his forces to the local administrators of the food that would be required for this feast. The peasants were at first skeptical, but upon learning of the victory over the Saxons it was meant to celebrate, they were willing to part with some of their produce to assist the local food stores in order to celebrate their homes and livelihoods being secured. The Roman town was abuzz with both the logistics and anticipation of this feast for several long days - before, finally, reports came of the allied army arrived, and the gates opened. Ambrosius was welcomed as a hero and a champion, and the subsequent feast held with his men was equipped with gifts of food from several neighboring petty kings. It was humble compared to the Triumphal celebrations of old, of course, but for the local region, it was a significant event. Bread and wine were, of course, served, but also salted fish, roast venison, goat's milk, and a variety of other local foods, ensuring that there was plenty of food for all attending.

Of course, while Ambrosius did partially hold this feast to celebrate the victory itself, it was also a political move; such a feast would be prestigious among the local princes and kings and earn him more respect, cementing his victory and promoting comraderie among his Romanized Britons and those tribes that had never been fully Romanized. Ambrosius would use this opportunity to try and improve his diplomatic standing among the nearby Brittonic realms, hopefully even earning the fealty of a few nearby towns and petty kings. After all, such a victory had proven that he could protect the south from Saxon incursion, hadn't it?

Roll 11 (+1 for nice flavour in orders!) 12: The peasants rejoice! They do not care who leads, as long as someone leads, and Ambrosius and his men are providing stability sorely lacking. Neary towns and petty kings are swept up in this and some, while stopping short of bending the knee, understand where the real power lies.

Uladh

Spoiler :
Eochaid takes oaths from his newly gained liegemen on the holy grounds of the Emain Macha, the grandchildren of those who betrayed their oaths to Uladh two generations before. From each clan that was subdued a family member, preferably a child but a sibling will also do, is brought to Ráth Celtchair to serve Eochaid.

Roll 10 (11): Oaths are sworn, and bonds are made. There is unease about the new powers at play, but they hold now, and will only grow with time.

Meadh

Spoiler :
A Promise of Prosperity

Now backed by the blessings of the gods, and his Oathsworn protecting his claim from pretenders, King Failge Berraide set his sights on improving the lives for the common people of his realm. For far too long, the Ancient Sire had taken without given, even as his realm shrank his benighted rule improvished the once prosperous vales around Uisneach. No more.

King Failge Berraide announced a program of reconstruction and restoration, so that Uisneach could once more be suitable for the works of gods and men. With his recent travels and his Oathsworn, he organized a series of public works projects - refurbishing the shrines and groves of Uisneach, replacing the rot of his fortress with fresh wood and stone, clearing ancient paths towards the boundaries of his Kingdom and building or restoring structures in each clandom from whence he received oaths.

Although he knows initiating all this is ambitious, he also knows that if he stalls, if he balks, he might never have a chance to initiate this project later in his reign.

Action: For too long the Realm has Rotted. Undergo a program of reconstruction and restoration, so that every man in Meadh can say that King Failge Berraide improved their lot, and every God in the Eire can say that King Failge Berraide has restored the prosperity of Meadh.

Roll: 16 (18) With his Oathsworn urging the common man on, a great fortress rises out the rotten timbers that went before. Paths that have had fallen slow and treacherus have the nature beaten out of them allowing for much easier passage through the lands. Fortress of Uisneach is built.

Dunluce

Spoiler :
Fergus was at his small table writing down the proceedings.

Finn MacCool and Sive were at the head of the feasting table that dominated the whole end of the great hall. Today the food and drink were scarce. Gathered around were the leaders of Dunluce; some were seated, others stood with stern looks about them. Niall and Cormac reported that new barracks and training grounds were near completion and young recruits showing up with axes and swords in hand.

Tir Eoghain had a long list of reports of “worried freebooters” who had taken action against the ships of Uladh in precaution of their warlike ways. This new found “wealth” was finding its way into the coffers and storehouses of coastal Britain and the Irish merchants he was familiar with. Cheers broke out among those in attendance when they heard the news. Finn just smiled and patted his purse.

With our emissaries returned from the west, the talk moved to expanding trade contacts beyond Dal Ariad into Tyr Connail and issuing permits for their traders to access our ports in a manner similar to those from Dal Ariad. Two fine white horses were sent to the high lord of Tyr Connail as a gift of friendship. Sive stood with arms around her growing belly, to report to all that the treasury was growing and funds were available to support the expectant need for more swords and shields.

Taig rose and spoke: “Uladh is unrepentant in their warlike ways. They have threatened our emissaries and send veiled threats of war. Lord, we need to prepare. We do not want to be taken unawares” So be it the Lord replied.

All during the meeting the smell of charcoal and the ring of blacksmith forges were the backdrop to every report.

Barracks and training facilities built for recruited fighters

Roll 15: Concerned with Uladh's aggression, barracks are built and Finn MacCool guides his champions to prepare the men for battle.

Mumha

Spoiler :
Expand on the trading posts in the east. Particularly expand docks and such, and give a tax break for shipments to and from Britain, seeing the increased exchange there - even with it being largely warbased of our northern neighbour, there may be money to be made for us.

Roll 10 (11): Trade flows up an down the Southern coast of Ireland, with a second enclave starting to develop, mostly of soldiers plying their loot from recent battles.

Tyr Connail
Spoiler :
llan mac Fráech was furious. While his men polished their swords, Uladh's were out bathed in blood and glory. His men must advance at once, ready to meet any who resist them! Claim territory to the South

Roll 9 (14): The Great Barracks of Sligo emptied out as the men push South. Well trained, well armed, there was little to resist them. Astride his new fine white horses, llan mac Fráech galloped proudly across his expanding domain.

Dal Ariadi
Spoiler :
Concerned with happenings both over the borders, and at sea, Dúnlainge mac Finchada orders a series of forts to be built along the border between themselves and Uladh's new claims. Fortify Border

Roll16 (17): Deep moats and high spiked walls create choke points for any who may dare to attack the Dal Ariadi.

Scribes note that Connachta did little in this period, and it is questionable if they won't slip back into the mysts of time

MAP:

upload_2021-12-9_16-2-21.png

Uladh
Traitors and cowards will always band together, given the opportunity. It is only a matter of time before they strike, we must be prepared. First and foremost the Emain Macha must be restored and fortified, a second seat of power to remind the people of their oaths and to honor the gods who've granted me this throne.

Finn MacCool: Sive my love, the Uladh are getting cocky and creating excuses for more war. I fear they will bring violence to all of the north. Our child may not have the peaceful childhood we all want.
Sive: My Lord, I too fear for our prosperity. War bodes ill for all involved. Can we not prepare our defenses such that this reckless fool will flail harmlessly against our shields?
Finn MacCool: Aye we will see what we can do. I will send messengers to Dal Ariadi to see what we might do together to fend off this craziness.

Last edited:
Diplomacy from Laighn:

to Uladh:
It is not "the gods" that gave you success, but the god. The one and only god, our lord and savior, Jesus Christ. You can see it in your population, the more Christian your people have become, the more success you have had. So let us make this final. Come to Kilkenny and be baptized, make your nation part of the truth.

to Mumha:
We welcome your new trade port. Trade will flow well between our nations. But we have trouble with your paganism. Perhaps you could see the light if I send my priest to you to show you the way of Christ?

Illan mac Dúnlainge,
My people have become successful as a result of my oath to restore the old fortress and honor the gods, not because of the meddling of your foreign god. I witnessed one of your priests by the name of Patrick give oratory to the people and I was deeply unimpressed. The only reason his bones haven't been cast from Ráth Celtchair is my brother's incessant pleading. Give me proof of his power and I may reconsider, but I've seen naught but empty words thusfar.
Eochaid mac Muiredaig Muinderg

Illan mac Dúnlainge,
My brother is a proud man, and one who sees outsiders as threats to his rule, but is practical to his core. Give him time and show him good that comes of following the true faith and he will come around. Actions, not words, will sway him
Cairell mac Muiredaig Muinderg

to Mumha:
We welcome your new trade port. Trade will flow well between our nations. But we have trouble with your paganism. Perhaps you could see the light if I send my priest to you to show you the way of Christ?

To Laighn
From Mumha

Thank you for your kind open arms. A more connected world is a bountiful one. We are sure our traders offer great deals for your soldiers' acquired property.

Your priest is always welcome in our court - send him, and we shall send a representative of one of our respectable Christian clans to make our mutual riches effortless.

(Ie I'm going to send a formal representative in my orders, one of our Christian plutocrats, and your priest will be welcome in our court too.)

Top Bottom