1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Advanced Explorer (v1.4 - Dec 3rd)

Discussion in 'CivBE - Released Mods' started by Gorbles, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Advanced Explorer (v1.8)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=348714860

A mod that introduces Affinity progression for the Explorer unit, with a focus on surviving sustained alien attacks and becoming a mobile raiding unit, without making it effective in combat against combat-dedicated units.

Changelog:

Updated textures for Supremacy.

Future Plans:
    • Re-texture unit for the non-Affinity upgrade.
    • Balance and design pass in light of Fall and Winter Patches.
    Screenshots:

Click for full-size

Attached Files:

2. whoward69

whoward69 DLL Minion

Nope. I did ask for this to be rectified, but nothing has come of it. Just zip the .civbemod file and upload the zip

3. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Updated with attachment and non-terrible screenshots!

Harmony textures will probably take a while. Not sure on what to do with Supremacy yet.

4. ls612

ls612 Deity Moderator

We just need to have an admin come online to make the change, be patient. ;)

5. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Updated with the .civbemod file because that was bugging me :D

(Thanks!)

6. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Updated for 1.6, just some art updates.

7. edingess

edingess Chieftain

This seems like an excellent idea but you may want to consider replacing the rover sometime in the future (pun not intended). Maybe a wolfbeatle for harmony 2 and some sort of black and yellow robot for supremacy 2. Just an idea but I know building a new model would take a long time.

8. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Sorry, but modelling isn't my goal for this project. The retextures take enough time as it is and I don't have the additional to figure out BE's pipeline (and handle the hell that is animation).

Thanks for the suggestion regardless though :)

9. ShadoWarrior

ShadoWarrior Chieftain

Nice mod. Will there be an update to it that works with game version 1.0.1.607?

10. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Sorry about this, completely forgot about the thread. Will update to 1.8 (which has been on Steam a while) tonight or tomorrow.

11. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

Managed to bugger the upload a bit, but that's all fixed now at version 1.8. Should still be compatible with the Winter Patch, any issues just let me know.

Wish the forum would properly display the new thread title :/

12. lilgamefreek

lilgamefreek Chieftain

What program did you use to modify the explorer textures? I've been using GIMP but have been trouble opening extracted texture assets for the ingame models.

13. Gorbles

Gorbles Load Balanced

An extremely hacky workaround, which is actually one of the reasons I haven't managed to work on it since (time constraints). Apparently Photoshop can open the files correctly, but nothing else can.

Link to horrendous workaround.

14. lilgamefreek

lilgamefreek Chieftain

Thanks for the heads up! It's certainly a start for now.

15. ray111

ray111 Chieftain

Hello, I was wondering how much of that LUA would be needed for overriding an existing unit.

I was trying to do an unique soldier, but I can't get them to upgrade into next tiers, because their UnitType (not to mention UnitClass) are different, and upgrade system seem to only modify stats on the UnitType.
    Which would all be fine, but even adding new rows to UnitUpgrades (for my new specific UnitType) doesn't do any good (resp. most of the time breaks upgrades/unit completely). I was doing the UnitUpgrades insertions instinctively the exact same way as you (except I didn't modify perks/arts etc, I wanted my unit to become stadard Marine when he upgrades first time, with it's usual bonuses and perk choices..), so I'm pretty much convinced there is something else I still have to do with lua magic..
    Could you offer some advice/tutorial? Seeing as you're probably the only one who's done this successfully so far? ;D I've looked over that lua in your mod but since I don't know almost anything about lua I can't say what needs to be done for all units and what you're doing just because you were adding a completely new upgrade tree for unit that had none.

Now that I look over the xml again, I see one entry that I don't have - for upgrade with no change in stats:
    Spoiler :
    <Row>
    <Type>UNITUPGRADE_EXPLORER</Type>
    <Description>Explorer</Description>
    <UnitType>UNIT_EXPLORER</UnitType>
    <IconAtlas>UNIT_UPGRADE_ATLAS_1</IconAtlas>
    <PortraitIndex>2</PortraitIndex>
    </Row>
    Could it be this what I'm missing in my file, or really some lua magic? I'm gonna try this next when I'm in a mood but 2 days of testing and failing made me NOT want to shut down the game to modify that again.

Edit: hmm, nah, that didn't do anything on it's own, as I suspected