1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Advanced Missiles Mod v1.x

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Modpacks' started by Civ Fuehrer, Sep 26, 2010.

1. Quetz

Quetz The Tallest Lilliputian

Yeh I know it was for Civ 4, and even though the mod was finished in 2006 it's still a part of almost every big Civ 4 mod out there. I was just saying I wasn't sure I wanted to risk being instantly wiped out by the AI, since I doubt they recognize deterrence yet (and especially without that mod or something similar.)

Has that happened to anyone playing this mod yet? How does the Civ 5 AI handle ICBM's?

2. Civ Fuehrer

Civ Fuehrer Eat, Sleep, Mod

Well in my current game I haven't reached the modern era yet (I'm on epic speed with a few of the pre-modding tool mods) however since the AI tag I used was the same one used for Atomic Bomb and Nuclear Missile and the AI weights were adjusted accordingly, so I'd say They should be able to use them and launch them anywhere from anywhere.

3. Zomgmeister

Zomgmeister Emerged Lurker

How about something like "Planet Buster" from Alpha Centauri?

Basically, extremely costly missile with stupid amount of damage, which "terraforms" automatically as it hits. In bad way. Generally speaking, impact point hex turns to "coast", and all surrounding hexes are transformed to desert if they aren't underwater. Maybe a bit more sophisticated, taking mountains into account, I dunno.

Probably it should be built as a "National Unit" — only one in existence at once. Or not. And it may become available at Future Technology.

Another idea, unrelated to missiles, but related to mass destruction: "Doomsday Device" National Wonder. Build it in some city. Then, whenever you feel like, you can detonate it — either from city-screen somewhere, or maybe it actually can come out like a unit which can't move or fight. Detonation basically destroys a good half of your continent (turning anything into archipelago with small 1-hex islands), and ravages all other continents pretty badly (random destruction of land, new mountains appear from nowhere, apocalypse now).

Semi-scientifical explanation of phenomenon (no matter if it is not exactly correct from physics' standpoint, it is no more silly than GDR anyway): Doomsday Device is basically a hydrogen bomb of gargantuan size, stationary by its' nature. Basically some deep mine-shaft is flooded by heavy water, full of deuterium and tritium hydrogen. We are speaking about thousands of cubic meters of pure fusion bomb.

This hypothetical weapon may be built by crazy dictators who hate humanity and just don't want to lose and fail by themselves. Oh, thinking about that — it may reqiure full Autocracy tree to be completed.

I am not speaking that these ideas are awesome or even good from gameplay standpoint. Modular system of Civilization 5 is made so it can be possible to include anything player like, excluding anything he doesn't like. So these two unrealistic weapons may be excluded from your main mod to small complementation mini-mod, for example.

4. Necro-

Necro- Chieftain

imho the problem with all these missile weapons is there needs to be some kind of defense. if i can take out a city in 1 turn with a missile that can't be stopped it becomes pretty boring

5. Civ Fuehrer

I was going to have a fusion bomb in the game since the cIV version (ANM) did, but I like the extra ring complexities you proposed. And about the doomsday weapon, I love the idea, and unlike Python, LUA has the capability of providing random numbers (very similar to C/C++) to make the land turn into anything. Also, I was going to be sprinkling in a few techs here and there to account for things that wouldn't really fit into a tech that is currently in Vanilla ciV.

@ Necro-
    The next version when I add something, I will be adding a type of bunker that can help against nuclear attacks. When I find out how to code something similar to the SDI then I will add that in too.

6. mattavich

mattavich Civ5 Fanatic

So this mod adds new units to the game which are all missiles? Are any of them custom graphics too?

I love building missiles.

7. Civ Fuehrer

They are mostly all missiles with the exceptions of missile defense buildings/national wonders and specialized artillery. Yes it will have custom graphics for units/buildings, but as it is now, almost no one knows how to use Nexus for model imports. I've been told by Valkrionn that Ekmek has the most experience with it so I've PMd him and am now waiting for a response. If I don't get the Nexus importing problem resolved soon, then I'll just have to reuse other graphics until I get it figured out.

8. Civ Fuehrer

So I got a response from Ekmek and as it turns out, Nexus model importer has a bug. The only thing I am capable of doing right now is reskinning. So V2 may or may not have a new skin for the ICBM depending on how early I want to release it, and how long it takes for me to test the bunker.

9. Civ Fuehrer

Advanced Missiles Mod v. 2 is out! This version adds the bunker which decreases the population impact that nukes have on cities by 25%.

10. z1111n

z1111n Chieftain

This mod in particular keeps crashing my games when trying to run a scenario game from Earth map or y.a.h.e.m. earth mods

11. Civ Fuehrer

Did you delete version 1 like the description said to do? Aside from the Civ V bug with mods (which has nothing to do with any particular mod except when updating), this mod is strictly XML which means that the game can decide to discard it if it has a remote chance of causing an error. So this mod is not the source of the error, Civ V's inability to update mods correctly is which is why I specifically said to delete version 1 in the description.

12. lichen8566

lichen8566 Warlord

Some errors of the tags:

File:newBuildings_AMM.xml
    Line:8
    TXT_KEY_BUILDING_HELP_BUNKER > TXT_KEY_BUILDING_BUNKER_HELP

File:newUnits_AMM.xml

Line:8
    TXT_KEY_UNIT_HELP_ICBM -> TXT_KEY_UNIT_ICBM_HELP

Line:32
    TXT_KEY_CIV5_MODERN_NUCLEARMISSILE_TEXT -> TXT_KEY_CIVILOPEDIA_UNITS_MODERN_NUCLEARMISSLE_TEXT

Line:34
    TXT_KEY_UNIT_HELP_NUCLEAR_MISSILE -> TXT_KEY_UNIT_ICBM_HELP

I uploaded modified xml files, wish it could help.

Attached Files:

• XML.rar
      File size:
      1.9 KB
      Views:
  13. Civ Fuehrer

@lichen8566
    Thanks for catching those, I don't know what happened but I copy/pasted some of those text lines from the original lines and now they changed... Anyway, they'll be updated next version.

In related news I'm gunna start looking into the different LUA hooks & callbacks to make something like the SDI possible however since they cut out quite a few callbacks from what they used to have in Civ IV, I might have to do something else until the DLL is released and the C++ modders make callbacks.
    EDIT: In the LUA events thread, I have found a few callbacks that may provide some use to this mod and possibly the SDI.
    EDIT2: Realizing that the old SDI was actually a project and not a wonder/building, I went and looked at the projects schema and sure enough, the nukeInterception was there, unused but sure enough there. Yall can expect a new version release for the SDI pretty soon.

14. Civ Fuehrer

Advanced Missiles Mod version 1.03 (v3 in the hub) is released! Adding the SDI back into the game, it will give your civilization a 50% chance to intercept all incoming nuclear missiles.

Due to the fact that projects need certain requirements to be built and cannot be made on the fly with fireTuner, I was unable to test this however it does show up in the tech screen and in the civilopedia. My uncertainties lie whether or not the Atomic Bomb unit (a bomber plane) might be affected by it or if the evasion promotion on the Nuclear Missile unit does not apply to the NukeIntercept tag on the project. Also if the NukeIntercept even works at all since it was an unused tag. But I guess I have to trust Firaxis on this kind of thing and hope that it works perfectly.

15. Sonereal

Sonereal ♫We got the guillotine♫ Supporter

ICBMs are beast but the build-time required to build one puts them into the Wonder Category pretty much. Still, they're deadly useful and not something that can be used lightly (in my sig, I show a situation where an ICBM saved my ass).

One thing I've noticed, however, is that the AI doesn't even build nuclear weapons (future tech was researched a long time ago and as far as I see, no one but me has built MP) so I haven't tested SDI. It's the same way with the Bunker. Since no one is building nukes but me, I haven't built a bunker.

16. Civ Fuehrer

Well the AI is something in dire need of updating from Firaxis' end. Have you tried pissing them off enough?:crazyeye:

EDIT: If this is the case that AI never builds nukes - ever, then I guess that really drains the fun out of this mod(except for insane exploits like what you did).

17. Sonereal

They either never build nukes or never bother using them but given how many bases they had near my cities, I'm surprised none was used against me. I figure since the AI doesn't use nukes, it is kinda of an exploit just for this reason alone.

And this one.

Spoiler :

18. Civ Fuehrer

Well, AI capable or not, I'm moving on to the Fusion nukes. After all, god forbid I have a nice arsenal of nukes in the mod when the AI gets patched :lol:. After catching up on some Lua calls, hooks and functions I'm ready to start my algorithm for the explosion terrain effects and can expect something on this by sometime next week or this weekend.

19. Sonereal

Already? Amazing! Hopefully Ascent of Mankind will come out this fast when possible. :lol:

What is going to be the radius of the explosions? Tactical fusion being two hexes out and Fusion Nova being three is almost OP'd and insanely destructive with 1UPT.

Then again, if the nukes didn't instantly turn everything into coast and instead worked mountain->hill->flatland->coast or ocean, I feel like the two-hex and three-hex radius wouldn't be so OPd.

20. Civ Fuehrer

Yea already, thing is I already made this with Python so I know what I'm doing more than last time. And with ATOM, Lua allows more than python so it will go a little faster, but I still have to figure out how everything will work.

Again unlike python, Lua allows more 'coding' than python did since it's library contains more operators and logic capabilities. This means that I will be able to manipulate data much more fluently than Python and allow for multi-ring checks and executions. Although Python had this too, it was much more difficult to write it because Python was more of an attempt to make coding more like English and failed and was difficult to find words that it understood. Here I just have to use symbols. For the Civ5 version of the fusion nukes, It will be easier to make the different terrain types be cut away at different rates however because the explosion type engulfs a volume and not just blowing away the top layers of dirt, it won't really matter if mountains are there anyway and what will be left is a crater. I will however use that for the Antimatter Armageddonator.