Advanced Questions

NT_Jedi

Chieftain
I'm still a rookie at this game since I am unable to win the computer at Monarch difficulty. Keep in mind I also never do any save reloads... if something bad happens I take it. Also I disable tech trading.

I found a few small mods which are helpful such as the replanting forest mod and culture borders crossing ocean mod.

1 ) I searched and couldn't find any mods which add new futuristic technologies. I was looking for just the new futuristic technologies such as cybernetics, minaturized robotics, laser weapons, and other future technologies. I'm hoping veterans in the community would know where I might find one of these which doesn't include other modifications?

2 ) I searched and couldn't find any mods which improve barbarians as time progresses. For some reason barbarians improve very little as time progresses without a city... the maximum random drop are swordsmen and for sea units it's a Galley. Any suggestions where I can find a mod so the barbarians can be improved as time progresses ?

3 ) I haven't found a way to edit or create a multiplayer map. Where can I find ways to make this work ?

4 ) I also would like to disable how airplanes can teleport across the ocean from an airport. I view this as wrong on many levels... if the feature is left in the game it should be some super advanced high research technology. How can I disable this Teleportation ??

Any help would be great !! :goodjob:

Well, I wouldn't really know the answers to your questions, but I don't think not being able to win on monarch makes you a n00b. I just won my first prince victory and I don't consider myself a n00b (though certainly not an expert either).

Oh, and I actually like the rebase option. Moving a plane from one side of the globe to the other in one year time hardly constitutes teleporting in my book.

Barbs advance all the way to Riflemen - I had barb maces coming out of the ice in the south of my latest game...

El Koeno said:
Oh, and I actually like the rebase option. Moving a plane from one side of the globe to the other in one year time hardly constitutes teleporting in my book.

When aircraft are able to arrive at a location across the world without any chance for interception from enemy aircraft it is teleportation. Such an advantage greatly benefits the stronger player especially on a map using islands.

BlackMage said:
Barbs advance all the way to Riflemen - I had barb maces coming out of the ice in the south of my latest game...

Well that's good news... I've only seen swordsmen.

Also I haven't seen any barbarian sea units beyond galley... I would like to change this as well.

NT_Jedi said:
When aircraft are able to arrive at a location across the world without any chance for interception from enemy aircraft it is teleportation.

I think it's just common sense. If you have a year to do it, and adequate basing facilities, you can certainly fly the planes there. If your opponent had enough strength to "intercept" your flights, then he would outnumber you when you get there and the planes wouldn't be a particular problem for him. You say it benefits the stronger player, but it's unreasonable to say that the weaker player would be able to prevent the stronger player from moving his planes around.

DaviddesJ said:
I think it's just common sense. If you have a year to do it, and adequate basing facilities, you can certainly fly the planes there. If your opponent had enough strength to "intercept" your flights, then he would outnumber you when you get there and the planes wouldn't be a particular problem for him. You say it benefits the stronger player, but it's unreasonable to say that the weaker player would be able to prevent the stronger player from moving his planes around.

The problem here is assuming the planes will ALWAYS arrive to the heart of battle(newly conquered town) without any chance of interception. Within historical reality if planes are sent then each has a percentage chance of being intercepted especially if the nations have equal technology. This is currently not possible with the teleportation which occurs.
The weaker player would be able to prevent a percentage of the planes from arriving if technology is equal between them. Unfortunately this teleportation prevents any interception of planes traveling to the newly conquered town which is unfair... especially unfair if the lost town was not near the ocean.

Also on another level this assumes the player with flight has safely secured the ocean path to this new town. Another reason this is not fair.

And on a slight tangent... what happened to the airbases from Civ2? I really miss them!

NT_Jedi said:
Within historical reality if planes are sent then each has a percentage chance of being intercepted especially if the nations have equal technology.

I don't think so. Can you give any historical example of this? (Interception of strategic redeployment of planes from one part of the world to another, over a period of many months.) Traditionally, it hasn't been possible to intercept such redeployments. What can be intercepted are the combat missions of individual planes or squadrons.

DaviddesJ said:
I don't think so. Can you give any historical example of this?
You must be kidding ! :confused:
You are saying that every war which took place did not lose any airplanes during their travels to a newly conquered city ?? :lol:
A search on the internet reveals lost aircraft even after baghdad was captured. And in this scenario the US was greatly more advanced in technology.

DaviddesJ said:
(Interception of strategic redeployment of planes from one part of the world to another, over a period of many months.) Traditionally, it hasn't been possible to intercept such redeployments. What can be intercepted are the combat missions of individual planes or squadrons.

The automatic movement of planes from one city to another crossing water which could OBVIOUSLY be dominated by the enemy is unfair and historically incorrect.
For example lets say China used cargo ships to transport troops and secretly take Los Angeles... now you tell me how China would successfully get all it's offensive aircraft to Los Angeles. THUS not fair or possible which is why I want to disable this teleportation.

This is why I wrote "advanced questions" because I was hoping not to spend time teaching.
I'm looking for answers to my questions... if you want to discuss reality of the issues please send me a private message for discussion.

NT_Jedi said:
You are saying that every war which took place did not lose any airplanes during their travels to a newly conquered city ?? :lol:

Yes, that's right. At least not in any significant numbers. Can you give even one example?

A search on the internet reveals lost aircraft even after baghdad was captured.

I don't believe the US or its allies have lost any aircraft at all, en route to Iraq. It would be hard to imagine how. What they have lost are (a few) aircraft that were performing combat missions from bases in Iraq or elsewhere. This happens in Civ4 too: you can lose aircraft when they are operating from their new bases. Just not in the process of relocating them there.

DaviddesJ said:
I don't believe the US or its allies have lost any aircraft at all, en route to Iraq. It would be hard to imagine how. What they have lost are (a few) aircraft that were performing combat missions from bases in Iraq or elsewhere. This happens in Civ4 too: you can lose aircraft when they are operating from their new bases. Just not in the process of relocating them there.

DaviddesJ is correct - we did not lose any aircraft being transported to Iraq. As far as I know, that has never happened to the USA until AFTER they arrived in-theatre. A year to rebase is certainly logical, since it's usually done via carrier or in-flight refueling via tanker.

DeafDolphin said:
DaviddesJ is correct - we did not lose any aircraft being transported to Iraq. As far as I know, that has never happened to the USA until AFTER they arrived in-theatre. A year to rebase is certainly logical, since it's usually done via carrier or in-flight refueling via tanker.

Recognize that last part of your sentence... via carrier which are ships traveling across the ocean and thus have a chance of being intercepted by enemy ships. Yet that is not currently possible.
In-flight refueling can help, but will not prevent the chance of enemy aircraft intercepting the traveling aircraft.

If China was to join forces with Japan and then take Los Angeles it would not guarantee them to successfully deploy all their offensive aircraft to the city from across the ocean. Yet this is what currently happens within CIV_4.

If you cannot answer my questions please don't post within the topic. I'm looking for answers not some long-winded debate where I spend 50 posts explaining how it's illogical to assume a captured city will guarantee any deployed aircraft will not have a chance of being intercepted.

This is a forum where anyone may feel free to post or add their .03 cents (adjusted for inflation). No need to become snappish about replies to the topic. You do not need to answer every post. Some of the answers may even give you ideas on how to correct what you see as an imbalance in the game :)

If the idea of rebasing seems absurd, why not just write a mod where rebasing or the other stuff you asked isn't allowed? I think the only way to do all of that is via a mod. I'm sure the Creation and Customizing forum would be happy to give you pointers in that regard. Hope this helps :)

DeafDolphin said:
If the idea of rebasing seems absurd, why not just write a mod where rebasing isn't allowed? I'm sure the Creation and Customizing forum would be happy to give you pointers in that regard. Hope this helps :)

My plan is to develop a mod which will make this adjustment... if the general forum doesn't know I plan to create a new topic in the modding forum since I'm not sure how to safely turn off this feature.
I will most likely move towards developing a mod which includes a very very advanced and high research tech which uses this teleportation and name the tech something like Mach10 Orbital Fuel or Space Stealth.

Well, moving on from rebasing aircraft, to your first question: More future technologies. I always disliked the fact that you can launch a spacecraft to Alpha Centauri in, say the year 2000, if not earlier. I would like some "future age" which enables technologies to do so. It would make the modern age way more fun, now I usually don't even build stealth bomber because I need other techs to build a space ship.

The problem is that future technologies in games never seem really convincing to me....

I seem to remember from CIV 2 that if you used an airport to airlift troops into a city that had enemy fighters based within a 10 square radius that there was a chance that the air transport would be shot down and you'd lose the unit. I've not messed around building many airports in CIV IV yet so don't know if the feature is still included but if not I'd think modding it in for airlifited ground units and air rebases wouldn't be a bad idea at all.

Not so sure about future techs, laser weapons etc. just doesn't feel right in CIV to me!

NT_Jedi said:
2 ) I searched and couldn't find any mods which improve barbarians as time progresses. For some reason barbarians improve very little as time progresses without a city... the maximum random drop are swordsmen and for sea units it's a Galley. Any suggestions where I can find a mod so the barbarians can be improved as time progresses ?

This is mostly a function of the fact that most of the map is revealed and settled by the time you get past macemen. Try playing on a Terra map (I think that's the one) - all the players are on one or two continents, and there's at least one continent left unsettled and inaccessable until you get Astronomy. Usually by the time you get there, the barbarians have built up to rather large cities with culture, defenses, etc - if you wait long enough, you'll even see them start building infantry and beyond. Unfortunately, the barbarian AI isn't the greatest, so they rarely put up much of a threat, as they never think defensively, but they're still there.

NT_Jedi said:
If you cannot answer my questions please don't post within the topic. I'm looking for answers not some long-winded debate where I spend 50 posts explaining how it's illogical to assume a captured city will guarantee any deployed aircraft will not have a chance of being intercepted.

If you're so sure you're right that it upsets you to listen to different opinions, this probably isn't the forum for you.

I would suggest that if one turn, long distance rebasing is so annoying to you, just don't do it.

Is that answer "advanced" enough, or do you wanna teach me some more?

Top Bottom