Advanced Questions

I think he's upset that the AI opponents do it.

What does it matter? If he would have came here and said the game sucks because of the rebase option people would reply with, "well mod it and quit complaining." But he came here and asked people if they knew how to access this stuff in the modding files because he doesn't like it. Which gets met with "don't mod that, its stupid".

His last post is trying to get back on topic and the whole .03 cents response is saying that threadjacking is ok if it is someone's .03 cents. I mean seriously, if you don't know the answers to his question why did you respond? You may as well go into the mod forum, find all the mods you think are dumb and post about it in their thread.

I don't know the answer to your questions though Jedi. Sorry man. I have been watching the thread though to see what information is provided on it though. Mostly to 1 & 2. Although, 2 is tricky and will involve the SDK I believe as it is AI behavior. Concerning 1, you may have to mod this yourself. You can request units in the Creation and Customization thread for some future units, although it is at the community's discretion on how soon you will get them. The techs are in the XML somewhere I think, I will see if I can find them later this week when I start playing around in them and post anything I find. If it is in Python it will probably be a little bit later.

King Flevance said:
His last post is trying to get back on topic and the whole .03 cents response is saying that threadjacking is ok if it is someone's .03 cents. I mean seriously, if you don't know the answers to his question why did you respond?

Because I had something to say, in response to his points. There's nothing wrong with expressing one's opinions in any thread. You can call that "threadjacking" or "terrorism" or "murder", if you want, but that doesn't make it wrong.

If he really only wanted to know how to mod the game, he should have posted in the "Creation & Customization" forum, not the "General Discussions" forum.

myself said:
His last post is trying to get back on topic and the whole .03 cents response is saying that threadjacking is ok if it is someone's .03 cents. I mean seriously, if you don't know the answers to his question why did you respond?

If he really only wanted to know how to mod the game, he should have posted in the "Creation & Customization" forum, not the "General Discussions" forum.

Probably because he wanted to know if anyone knew of any mods that addressed these features before diving into it himself. Go read the first post again if you have to. I am not against people expressing their opinions but why try and flex some superiority complex over who's opinion of the game is most balanced? A _____ measuring contest got started is what I see over who's idea was better. All I am saying is, who cares? So Jedi wants to change it, regardless if it is based on reality or not. This post had reached page 2 and no one has offered an answer. Instead there is a full page on debating if he should be allowed to mod his game. Personally, I don't see that question on the OP.

King Flevance said:
Instead there is a full page on debating if he should be allowed to mod his game.

I don't see a single comment anywhere in the thread about whether he should be allowed to mod his game.

I think it's going to be hard to start a discussion on that topic because I don't think there's anyone against allowing him to mod his game. But maybe we need a show of hands. Is there someone I've missed who thinks he shouldn't be allowed to mod the game?

Points for technicality. I can always be potshotted in my arguements for petty technicality points. Let me rephrase. Jedi asked if anyone had any knowledge about existing mods/modding information concerning the planes. Which soon led to a discussion over whether his view of rebasing was accurate or not. Which led to him having to explain himself to people he doesn't know for no reason.

Maybe its just a personality trait of mine, but if someone started a thread about "Lions should have a strength of 7 because it reflects real life" - I couldn't care less. I don't care if they think lions are unbalanced and I dont care if they think it adds some more accurate of balance to the game. I certainly am not going to have them explain their reasoning to me because I dont care. I just fail to see why it resorted to judgemental statements such as:

I think he's upset that the AI opponents do it.

If you honestly consider the mod (provided the AI knows tactical ways to take this rule change into account-which I am not positive it will) this mod could easily make for even harder conquest/domination victories.

EDIT: JEDI related thread concerning #1 this thread.

King Flevance said:
Which led to him having to explain himself to people he doesn't know for no reason.

Nope. If he doesn't want to discuss his opinion, he doesn't "have to" do so. He's free to just not respond to those who disagree with him.

linjon1 said:
I would suggest that if one turn, long distance rebasing is so annoying to you, just don't do it.

Is that answer "advanced" enough, or do you wanna teach me some more?
Because AI opponents still do it... so your answer was not advanced enough and I'll be glad to teach some more within a PM message, but lets try to keep Helpful Topics which are question and answers from becoming Topics of Debate of why, if, when and whatever. Topics of Debate rarely have everyone agree.

DaviddesJ said:
If you're so sure you're right that it upsets you to listen to different opinions, this probably isn't the forum for you.
I don't mind different opinions send me a PM message. As I wrote earlier... lets try to keep Helpful Topics which are question and answers from becoming Topics of Debate of why, if, when and whatever. Topics of Debate rarely have everyone agree. You may want to flaunt a discussion, argument or debate on the forum, but it changes my topic from being a Helpful Topic to being a Topic of Debate.

If I wanted a Topic of Debate the topic would have been called "Lets discuss stuff wrong within Civilization"... that's not the topic.

Thanks King Flevance for the information and making my point my clear.

King Flevance said:
[...] I mean seriously, if you don't know the answers to his question why did you respond? [...]

Fair point. I must admit I also posted some very none-informative answers, though I certainly wouldn't want to discourage anyone finding mods that enhance their enjoyment of the game.

Sounds like the questions are really advanced, as nobody at all seems to know any answers to them :p.

I agree that his biggest mistake was posting in the wrong forum. Posting in the general forum, he should have expected the kinds of answers he got. The answers he's looking for will not, and indeed should not, be found in this forum.

In the private Mod I'm makeing I found that the barbarians have some units that they are not allowed to build. This could be the cause of the barbarians not being able to improve over time. I fixed this by editing the CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml, I found the barbarian civ then I went to tag <Units> which is where you would set Special Units, and I removed everything from between <Units> & </Units> tags, this opened every unit up to the Barbarianbs that was not a special unit. If you wanted to prevent the barbarians from building a specific unit just leave the
Code:
[CENTER]<UnitClassType>UNITCLASS_[I]Unit Name[/I]
<UnitType>NONE</UnitType>[/CENTER]
I recommend not giving the barbarians Greatleaders, Missionaries, & Chariots.
Just in case your wondering why I say no Chariots, it's because I don't think that the Barbarians neeed resources which means that the chariot can be built almost instantly.:(
I hope this is more helpful than some of the things that have been said in this thread.
Also, I would like futur techs as welll, & that's a good point about the rebaseing aircraft. I think that those who thought it was a bad idea just like to abuse that feature. Although I do not think it should be forced to come with a tech, instead, using some python, there would be some factor to remove strength points, and maybe a futur tech that would reduce this.
This is a Five Star Thread that is in just the right spot.:goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob: :goodjob:

If you have any questions feel free to ask.
And I'm going to check into the Rebasing.

I agree that being able to rebase aircraft to the other side of the planet in one turn is illogical. People may think that one year for a simple rebasing operation is a reasonable amount of time, but shouldn’t that also apply to ships? Wouldn’t a carrier be able to circumnavigate the globe in less than a year? But in civ4 it only moves 5 squares. So it’s not a matter or realism, rather than a matter or EQUAL realism – a matter of balance. I haven’t tried modding any of the game’s files yet, but I suppose there should be a way to apply a maximum range for the rebase action (perhaps larger than the combat range, as the aircraft won’t need to make a return trip). That way, carriers would finally be useful, in transporting aircraft along large ocean distances, or acting as (vulnerable) refueling platforms for rebasing aircraft.

Ballisto said:
And on a slight tangent... what happened to the airbases from Civ2? I really miss them!

Even Civ3 had airbases and they were indeed very useful. It was nice to have a place to fly in units without the burden of shipping in a settler to build an unwanted city.

In Civ2, air units could only travel as far as they had movement points which made airbases a real necessity. Civ3 let you rebase air units but I thought there was a range limit to it.

there was/is a limit in civ3, it's essentially the same system in civ4 as in civ3, a reason why everyone is complaining about it.

NT_Jedi said:
4 ) I also would like to disable how airplanes can teleport across the ocean from an airport. I view this as wrong on many levels... if the feature is left in the game it should be some super advanced high research technology. How can I disable this Teleportation ??

You think taking a YEAR to travel halfway around the world is super advanced technology?

Well i dont think you should take time units to seriously, just take them as relative to land units say. It is unrealistics for land units to take 5 years to cross a continent or a galley to cross an ocean.

Planes are much faster than other units so the rebase option is good.
Although i do agree that there shuld be some chance for the enemy to intercept if the route is over enemy territory. Same with air-dropping. Usually if i have superior technology I can take a centrally located city and dump all my planes in there which give me a really strong advantage.

Top Bottom