Advanced tribes from goodie huts - is there anyway to stop geting them?

Scyphax

Warlord
I have just swapped from Civ III to PTW.

I have found when pillaging goodie huts sometimes I get an Adavanced tribe (city).

Usually I get them just when I am exploring the otherside of the contient of pangea, and usually I end up giving them away as they are just to far from my capitol.

I know that if you have a settler or are building a settler or have more towns than the average civ you don't get settlers. Is there any way of not getting 'Advanced Tribes'

No, not really, other than to do what you were doing (increasing your chances of a settler), or to just not pop the hut.

Getting cities is a nice feature, but I also would prefer settlers instead of cities, as sometimes the goody hut (free city) is in a bad location.

I wouldn't donate the cities, I would abandon them (stunt it's growth at 1 or 2, then build or rush the settler/worker) for a settler (or worker), then send him where you want him. Or just keep it as a worker factory and have it's workers start building a road back home to speed up your conquest or trade routes.

Something screwy must be going on if you get them often enough to complain about it.

There is another thread discussing the 'advanced tribe' event in the ??? forum (can't find it right now) :(

I have only played PTW on the UK.BIC scenario that comes with it.
It supposedly has standard rules, but also has may more resources and goodie huts.
In my 3 games celts, japanese and vikings I got a total of 5 advanced tribes all in the middle ore end of the goodie hut pillaging phase.

I think it's an excellent feature. Everyone would prefer a settler and that's precisely why it's so good: settlers can be so powerful they can unbalance the game. Advanced tribes are good, but not *that* good.

However, why *wouldn't* you want an advanced tribe? A city is never a bad thing to have. It might be a small bonus in some cases but it's still a bonus and better than nothing.

-Sirp.

I know that you cannot get a settler if you are currently building one. Maybe the same is true for the advanced tribe (i.e. can't get one if you are building a settler). Anyone know for sure?

Edit: heh, post # 666 :evil:

Originally posted by Gothmog
I know that you cannot get a settler if you are currently building one. Maybe the same is true for the advanced tribe (i.e. can't get one if you are building a settler). Anyone know for sure?

Edit: heh, post # 666 :evil:

I usually play America and use scouts to search out goody huts. With PTW, I frequently get advanced tribes and seldom get settlers.. I'm sure that I've gotten advanced tribes even when I'm producing a settler in one of my cities.

Only once have I gotten a really bad position for an advanced tribe - desert land one tile away from an aggressive enemy city's border, about 20 tiles away from the edge of my core of cities. I re-loaded from the auto-saves, changed my approach to the goody hut, re-popped it and got gold instead.

All the other times, I've been grateful for the advanced tribes! :D

Top Bottom