Advanced Warning of an Attack

swinenston

Chieftain
I consider advanced warning of an attack everything to surviving in Civ. Unless you can afford to have a large standing army and the costs that entails (as well as directing your build attention away from improving cities) I like to have a few good units in each city and rely on intelligence to give me notice of impending doom :)

There are several ways of getting this information of course, so I've put the methods I can think of below. I would welcome any others.

-Scout
OK an obvious one, but important and I'm surprised how many people, espec on multiplayer, don't use them. I ALWAYS put ships around my island or coast as soon as I can to get advanced warning of ships heading my way. Presuming you have a reasonable standing army, you can mobilise and protect. Not forgetting, attacking these transports of course. Caravels were made for this job! I always try and keep a few even in late game so I can check out opponents land without their consent! Aircraft are also great for this since they can do it without open borders and cover a large distance. If I have open borders I always try and stick a few scouts in my opponents big cities too - noticing a huge army on your border is *too late*. Open borders is of course, no suggestion they won't attack...

-Cancelling Agreements
...but of course cancelling open borders and the like is a suggestion they're up to something. The AI usually only does this when they fall out with you, but humans (in multi) do it because they know you are watching. Again, the amount of people who don't use this, espec in multiplayer, amazes me.

-Changing Civics
In either multiplayer or AI games, players like to get the benefits of civics which give xp to their units if they are likely going to be involved in a war. Don't buy an excuse from someone who says "I just want to build a few troops with good xp". They are thinking of a war (unless they have a suspicion you are about to attack!). Clearly, the civics Police State, Vassalage and Theocracy come under this banner.

-Power Graph
Overall power is certainly influenced by the amount of military you have. You can more often than not, see sudden spike in the graph when someone has started producing lots of military units. Certainly, if it is very sudden and in contrast to the way there cities are developing, there is a likelihood they are gearing up for war.

-Pearl Harbour
I call it this because the AI or human will have a port or two in which they have a large number of warships and transports, often with a growing number of units. To detect this of course, you need to be close enough to see. Caravels are perfect for this task.

I would welcome more suggestions!

Late in the game, fighters on recon missions can 'light up' a lot of area around your empire. They can also discover enemy/opponent activity without being spotted...if you can see your opponent with your caravel, they can see you...and they know they've been spotted. Fighters on recon can give you that intelligence without giving away that you have seen anything.

Also, late in the game, submarines replace caravels...subs can be seen only be destroyers and other subs, while caravels can be spotted by anything. And, of course, spies in the late game go without saying.

And the power graph is a good indicator, too...sudden increases should raise a red flag. Check this regularly. But be aware, that once the AI gets certain techs, they upgrade their units (Knights to Cavalry, for example)...that could result in a fairly dramatic increase in the power graph, without necessarily meaning that they are gearing up for war.

I always station a screen of destroyers around me continent. Destroyers because they can spot the enemy subs moving in. I put subs in his waters for early warning, and move them if they see a destroyer near. Air reconnaisance it the final answer, even if it must be done from a carrier.

I wish that you would get random "rumour" stories from various merchants throughout the game.

For example.. Say you have a trade network established with the Persians, who occupy land on another continent. You could get something like "It is rumoured that a large Persian army is marching east towards China"

It would make the game more interesting and every once in a while you'd get advance warning of an army heading your way.

Warpus' idea might be a good ability for the Spy, that a lot of people don't like anyway. How more valuable would a Spy be say by getting one in the Capital or the Holy City and by doing so, you get reports back on the intentions of the Civ.

As some of the AI's are very opportunistic, that would be impossible...
Also - the spy has to have the same uses in MP as in SP, which, again, is impossible with that ability :)

I am not sure is it just rundom, but in single player some AI cancel open borders the moment you move missionary on them and later attack. They do that even if there are no religious tension. They just do not want potential spies I think.

Jarrod32 said:
Late in the game, fighters on recon missions can 'light up' a lot of area around your empire. They can also discover enemy/opponent activity without being spotted...if you can see your opponent with your caravel, they can see you...and they know they've been spotted. Fighters on recon can give you that intelligence without giving away that you have seen anything.
QUOTE]

Actually, I believe you CAN see the fighters flying their recon missions (as I've seen you fly on some MP games). You just have to be looking at the right place at the right time.

Well, that sucks. But I think you're right...you have to be looking in the right place. I'm sure that others haven't seen 'em at times...

Just the luck of the draw, I guess, if your opponent sees you.

I found that if yopu have a large army in clear view of the AI, They will obviously hesitate to declare war, also they will amass a counter force where you put your SoD, this consists of a fair percentage of thier units, allowing interesting oppertunities....

Top Bottom