Advances chart revisited

hydraulics

Chieftain
Hi all!
I was never very happy with the orginal advances chart bundled with the manual, so I decided to draw a new one including as much information as possible; it can be printed on a A3 sheet.
You will find units, buildings, WOW and the number of prerequisites needed to reach every advance (without taking in consideration tech hiding). Starting techs have rounded corners, forms of government have a pale yellow background, ending techs have a blue border.
I hope someone will find it useful, though I guess most here don't need a reference like this...
Please let me know of any mistake and if you think it can be somehow improved.

File updated after 99 views
new update after 211 views

Attachments

• Civtechs_A3.pdf
    32.3 KB · Views: 1,685
Good job :goodjob:

I know it by heart

Excellent job! I would've loved to have this 12 years ago, and I'll be sure to make good use of it now. Many thanks :)

Great work hydraulics! Reminds me of another tech chart floating around the net.. Cept this one is much easier to look at :)

Question, what's with the number next to each tech? Has it got something to do with the time it takes to advance to that tech? If so, what difficultly level?

EDIT: Hydraulics and Dack are names very easy to mix up.. :p

very very nice job...

@trada: dack?

trada said:
Question, what's with the number next to each tech?

It's the minimum number of technologies you must discover in order to research that one.

I uploaded a new version, corrected a typo and added engineering as prerequisite for electronics.

Thanks, it's the best reference document on Civilization 1 I've ever seen.

It's the minimum number of technologies you must discover in order to research that one.

I uploaded a new version, corrected a typo and added engineering as prerequisite for electronics.

What gave you the idea to add that? That's a great idea.

What gave you the idea to add that?

I think it was the misleading caused by the 1991 reference chart. They had to squeeze it in a folded page, and looking at it you could think that you would need more or less the same time to research religion and steam engine, or advanced flight and conscription. I remember it was very confusing at first sight.

When I started the graph I found very soon that I needed some way to order tech advances, since I didn't want backward arrows: I guess it looks more "natural" when you have a clear flow direction. Counting the number of prerequisites seemed the best choice.

From a strategic point of view the "real" number of prerequisites (with tech hiding) might be more interesting, but I think this would imply a precise path to be followed in order to minimize research time. Too much information for the occasional player, and a useless number for a real fanatic that is able to win at emperor level. :)

Thanks--it's readable on tabloid (11"x17") format. Is the extra space in "Un iversity" intentional? I thought it was a PostScript font substitution error at first glance.

I've tried several times to make a reference chart for my own use. Never got a layout that tells the whole story like this one does. Excellent job.
Now I have one pet peeve with the Civ manual. The manual states that Copernicus' Observatory goes obsolete when you discover automobile. For the record, I would like to state that this is not true. The observatory never goes obsolete.

Attachments

• Copernicus.png
    Copernicus.png
    8.5 KB · Views: 437
Valen:

You're correct. The observatory does not go obsolete. Verified in my latest game.

hydraulics:

I found a correction, besides the one Valen discovered, if you ever update your chart. The "SS Module" requires the Robotics technology, and not Nuclear Power.

I've tried several times to make a reference chart for my own use. Never got a layout that tells the whole story like this one does. Excellent job.
Now I have one pet peeve with the Civ manual. The manual states that Copernicus' Observatory goes obsolete when you discover automobile. For the record, I would like to state that this is not true. The observatory never goes obsolete.
Wow. That opens up things. Thanks!.
OT: that chart is more complicated than the Civ2, Civ3, and Civ4 tech trees combined.
I know what needs what but this rocks.

Valen:

You're correct. The observatory does not go obsolete. Verified in my latest game.

I haven't played civ1 in a while, but I recall that Cop. obs. is indeed obsoleted in the amiga version, don't remember by what. But I remember that the only permanent science wonder was the SETI program. Or am I wrong?

KrysiasKrusader:

You are right, SS Module requires Robotics.

Valen:

Yes, Copernicus' Observatory doesn't go obsolete, even though this error is to be found both in the original manual (Amiga version) and on "Civilization or Rome on 640K a day".

To all:

Thank you for your kind words. It was hard to disentagle all those arrows, I'm glad to hear it was worth. :)
I have uploaded the file with both corrections.

Top Bottom