AdvCiv Global Warming / General Global Warming Thread

BaneFire

Prince
AdvCiv has a global warming module which I think is amazing. I'll run it down briefly, (though just check the manual: https://github.com/f1rpo/AdvCiv/raw/master/manual.pdf):

- Every civ produces an arbitrary pollution value, based sick faces from population, buildings, power and apparently resources.
- Over time the pollution value builds up to a specific global warming marker. As it reaches and hits the global warming marker, negative events begin to occur in the form of certain tiles changing (tundra to grasslands, grasslands to plains, plains to desert, ice to ocean).
- This does have some minor unfortunate effects in that:
-- You can't replant trees seemingly, and taking actions like building recycling centres, adopting environmentalism and so on don't seem to significantly reduce pollution.
-- Because of this global warming is basically inevitable, half the map will be plains by 2020 and all desert by 2100.

I would love for this to be adapted to DoC, although with a few minor changes:

- Bump up the effect environmentalism and nature reserves have on keeping pollution down. To be fair, the inability to chop jungle as in vanilla will probably nullify the worst of the effects.
- Allow a global resolution to ban fossil fuels (coal+oil). This would cause mid-tier civs to be shat on and suddenly lose out on coal plants and so on, and maybe even get stuck in that era, but hey, why not? Of course advanced civs with aluminium and solar/hydro/nuclear power will quite happily be able to chug along.
- If we're really feeling adventurous, take a look at a more variable module that would allow for horsehocky like little cold ages/dark ages, so that parts of the central world belt might get a bit less inhabitable, and reflect some of the population disasters that many Dark Ages empires felt.

Anyway, after the code rework and the map rework are done, it would be awesome to have a working global warming module along with some sort of little ice age module.

The new Global Warming system is a K-Mod thing (based in turn on the pretty widely used Global Warming mod), I don't want to take credit for it. The AdvCiv manual doesn't really describe it either – it's covered by the K-Mod changelog. I did make some tweaks in AdvCiv in response to feedback from players, and those changes are described under change id 055 in the manual you've linked to. I agree that it's still not working terribly well.
You can't replant trees seemingly
Would be nice if Forest Preserves could be placed on non-forested tiles for (re-)forestation, but, yes, no such thing is implemented.
and taking actions like building recycling centres, adopting environmentalism and so on don't seem to significantly reduce pollution.
For the record, I don't even know how strong the effect is.
[...] Here's advciv itself which is an excellent vanilla BTS civ 4 experience, the AI is actually genuinely a terrifying threat if you aren't a decent player. I guess anything we could get from it I would love to see in DOC.
Thanks. :)

One thing that may or may not be a relevant consideration is that in real life (particularly in North America and Scandinavia, I don't know as much about how many glaciers there were in Russia), global warming in certain tundra areas may not actually lead to much increase in food production due to glaciers in the last ice age stripping a lot of soil and moving it further south - basically even with better temperatures the soil quality would be poorer than in current agriculture heavy areas, though it would still be better than it is currently.

It would probably only have a particularly significant impact post-game, but if that is a consideration then turning most of Canada and Alaska into grassland would lead to potential for a lot of far north megacities that realistically would be very unlikely to ever happen. My first thought was to make it so that some tundra areas could skip grasslands and go straight to plains if struck by global warming, based on how much glacial erosion there was, but that could lead to them turning to deserts just as fast as grasslands elsewhere on the map which would be a little weird so I dunno.

[...] My first thought was to make it so that some tundra areas could skip grasslands and go straight to plains if struck by global warming, based on how much glacial erosion there was, but that could lead to them turning to deserts just as fast as grasslands elsewhere on the map which would be a little weird so I dunno.
That's actually one of the few tweaks I've made; copying from the AdvCiv manual:
"GW turns Tundra into Plains. Plains near cold terrain (coldness score based on adjacent Tundra, Snow, Ice) can't be turned into Desert. (But the cold terrain could eventually turn into Plains, so everything can still get desertified eventually.)"

DoC has a static map, so I think if this mechanic is introduced we can have a more sophisticated mechanic for global warming. Also, the new map introduces moorland terrain, which can be the result of tundra affected by global warming.

Melting polar ice caps + flooding lowlands = bye bye Dutch civilisation
Maybe that can be the new Dutch UHV? "Have at least one city after 2100"

Unless the timeline is extended in future releases, if climate change is modeled at all, wouldn't it make more sense to focus more on older events like the Little Ice Age?

Alternatively, putting a stop to contemporary climate change could maybe be a new diplomatic victory?

You can just settle in antarctica or any unsettled Island, that won't be under water, so it's simple and needs to be fast enough.

Top Bottom