1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Adventurer Kings - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Marnok, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

Unless they are upgradable - or have "synergy" promotions so they can gain abilities when they develop a certain tech or adopt a favorite civic, etc. That way they don't start hugely powerful but are still useful.

If we had powerful units from the start, this is balanced by the fact that losing that one unit means either end of game, or serious disruption to plans. So it works as a game option where everyone starts with a vulnerable yet powerful unit, an interesting gameplay quandary. It also works as an in-game option to "manifest" or "go adventuring" or however you want to phrase it. Allows for "regalia" - specific magic items for these units (use the civ ritual "prepare regalia" to create the item/s!)

2. Imuratep

Imuratep Cultist of the Old Ones

Yeah and you could give Basium and Hyborem a higher strength in return to let them still rule the game once they enter the game. Right now they are anyway ridiculously weak compared to what they are.

3. deadliver

deadliver Loud Mouth Amateur

At the very least Hyborem and Basium should get a bonus trait for doing the following:

1.) Capturing the Order/Ashen Veil holy city
    2.) Killing their rival

4. Dash5

Dash5 Chieftain

Why not give Basium/Hyborem a Governer unit who has little battle use but high effectiveness in things like reducing maintence/increasing research commerce to show how Hyborem/Basium seem to do more fighting then keeping things going inside the Nation

5. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

in other words the Governor is a walking extra palace right?

6. Marnok

Marnok Marnok

Another thing is, if a player can name heirs in the event that their leader is killed, existing heroes could become leaders. What traits would each current hero have?
    Harder-to-get units may be better leaders. Perhaps Acheron has amazing unique traits, maybe Brigit is a major leader.
    Civ Heroes would most likely be very close to the existing leaders for that civ.
    Religious heroes as leaders would make the civ unable to switch away from their preferred religion.

The sort of thing I mean:

Arthendain - Defender/Expansive, force RoK
    Duin Halfmorn - Aggressive, can build ravenous werewolves in capital
    Hemah - Arcane, Insane, force OO
    Mary Morbus - I dread to think. Possibly no traits, not really a leader, just gives access to a ritual which causes disease on a global scale!

7. Dash5

Dash5 Chieftain

yeah,that was my idea, but they could also have some unique buffing spells or something (maybe better versions of hope and the other in city spell)

8. Tasunke

Tasunke Crazy Horse

Mary Morbus ... hmm ... philosophical/ barbarian

or insane/ fallow with the caveat that all new units gain plague carrier and are (possibly) immune to plague

9. deadliver

deadliver Loud Mouth Amateur

Perhaps Kings should be a high-stakes option. Your leader emerging as a unit should give bonuses and penalties. Bonuses-heh you are the leader of a civ dammit you are cool. Penalties-wow you are the leader of a civ dammit, dying you deprive me of my civ traits!!!!

Simple. Of course Simple (me) ignores balance issues..thats why this is a forum!