1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Advertising - removing one of societies ills

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by JoeM, Nov 23, 2004.

?

Is Advertising Evil?

Poll closed Dec 7, 2004.
  1. Advertising is Evil

18 vote(s)
    29.0%
  2. Advertising is not Evil

33 vote(s)
    53.2%
  3. I am unable to choose between the first two options

11 vote(s)
    17.7%
  1. JoeM

JoeM Imperator

I believe that advertising, while not the root of all evil, is certainly one of the major branches.

I want to form a cohesive argument to convince others that all product advertising must be halted, and the whole industry made illegal/put to death/tortured at the very least. ;)

I like things in black and white, so you can vote your opinion as to whether advertising is evil or not, to be clear I'm only in reference to advertising to make people buy stuff, and maybe vote for stuff.

What in your opinion is a benefit of advertising? What would be the effect of removing the industry? Would the little man do better or worse? Would large corps hold as much market share? Would the world be a better place?

2. Scuffer

Scuffer Scuffer says...

It is essential to ensure that the market works, as much as it annoys and frustrates me. Remove it, and only the big players who you've heard of survive, and they are then under little pressure to innovate and compete.

3. andrewgprv

andrewgprv Second Class Citizen

I think advertising has gone way too far in our society. You are constantly being barraged with manipulations on why you should buy buy buy. It's no wonder America is drowning in debt. It's being pounded into our heads to spend spend spend. I personally think there should be a strict set of rules for advertising. I think we need to lower the amount of time commercials recieve on TV. And I think we need to limit the messages advertising can send. No more buying this will make you happy or you are a good father if you buy this. They need to be limited to an offer "we are offering such and such for such and such price" and they may list beneifits, real, substantial, proveable benefits such as " this car comes with duel side airbags, 5 speed transmission etc... NOT "this car will bring you more freedom"

4. MarineCorps

MarineCorps Explosion!

My state actually outlawed those giant billboards. Ads so long as you take with them with several grains of salt are ok.

5. Scuffer

Scuffer Scuffer says...

Only if we insist that political parties have to stick by the same rules. No more vague promises, only specific actions.

6. JoeM

JoeM Imperator

Well, my thought on this is that word of mouth will start to impinge on market dominance of, for example, Coca-cola.
    Sure the supermarkets will be stacked with them on day one, but I'm more likely to change my drinking habits if a friend reccomends another product without having coca-cola's advertising to compete against.

7. storealex

storealex In service of peace

Advertising is is ok, there's just too much of it.

8. Scuffer

Scuffer Scuffer says...

@JoeM
    I guess, but how did he find out about it? It makes getting your product recognised that much more difficult.

9. JoeM

JoeM Imperator

Whie I agree largely, the problem with limiting advertising is the ensuing legal wrangling over what is legitimate information and what is nonsense - how, for example, do you handle the fact that men will be more likely to buy the product if an attractive woman lays herself on it?
    Within reason ;)

10. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

I'm all for information, but I HATE, passionnately HATE, every kind of publicity.
    May they die with their mouth open and full of flies.

11. storealex

storealex In service of peace

Akka, you need some beer.

12. JoeM

JoeM Imperator

True, that's one of the issues I need to deal with.
    Firstly, allowing word of mouth brings the possibility of companies paying your friend to tell you something is good - this has to be made illegal also.

Secondly, how much is smaller business hampered by the existing advertising industry? I have some anecdotal experience of small companies buying advertising space to no effect, but the problem is that competition for marketing space makes a serious marketing campaign prohibitively expensive.

13. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

I dislike alcool, too ^^

14. Iggy

Iggy Deity

I would prefer that people to responsibility for themselves buying the products and not blaming the advertisers. No one forces me to watch or read them.

15. betazed

betazed Seeking...

I have thought about this many times and come to the conclusion that if you agree that advertising does more good than bad { personally though I am inclined to believe it I am not sure how one would go about proving it. How would you quantify the good and bad from advertising objectively? } then a solution that proposes some advertising and allows others is going to cause more harm because now you wil have litigation and then more advertising to support the litigation. It is a losing proposition.

What about banning all unsolicited advertising? No exceptions.

Of course the flip side is that information should be easily available. So a car manufacturer provides all pros and cons of his car and even comparisons of it to other cars on their website for example. You can extrapolate this to other things. So the basic purpose of advertising which is providing information about products and their relevance is easily served.

I see multiple benefits.

(a) It will reduce costs for companies a lot. At least some of this will be passed on to customers ( hopefully )
    (b) We will get rid of all those advertisers and put them into a paying basis and productive jobs for a change
    (c) the average person will not suffer from an information overload
    (d) consumption will reduce somewhat (hopefully) a desperately needed thing in the western world

last but not the least

(e) hot chicks from advertising will be somewhat more equitably distributed in other fields (like software engineering :cry: )

Of course, there are some non-trivial problems with this scheme but they too can be addressed.

16. JoeM

JoeM Imperator

That implies that you do not believe advertising influences peoples choices..?

17. Scuffer

Scuffer Scuffer says...

Scuffer award for funniest post of the day :lol:

I don't know, to be honest. But there are many ways a small business can advertise without much expense. Local newspapers or radio, flyers under windscreens (though I really hate this), leaflets in local papers, sponser a sports team, banner on a trailer by the road, cards in local shops. Must be a million ways.

How effective, I dunno. They say half of all money on advertising is wasted, but they don't know which half. Maybe your mates were unlucky, but I reckon it'll be much harder for them to get noticed without ads at all.

18. Iggy

Iggy Deity

I believe that advertising works on a number of levels, consciously and sub consciously. Also it informs people that there is a product available which you may want (or need) and it appears to be good / better than the competitors' products. HERE is the rub, if you have the urge to buy the product, do you research the competition or just buy the advertised product? Each to their own.

19. Akka

Akka Moody old mage.

Isn't it a bit tiring to always go for this worn-out line ? :p

Seriously, advertising is annoying, it pollute the visual space, it stuff your email with junk, it eats the budget of everything, mostly at the expense of quality, and it's sickingly full of lies and deception.

It's not only a point of "taking responsabilties" (which has not a lot to do with the subject), it's a point of having adds and publicity and the like forced down our ears and eyes everywhere, and a kind of mentality "deception pays, truth doesn't".
    Bleh, I hate that.

20. JoeM

JoeM Imperator

As advertising (on the whole) increases sales, this isn't necessarily true. Also, if your current sales are nil advertising is currently the only way to get sales.

Agreed. Shoe-shining for one year. Mandatory.

I actually think this is a genuine point more free time to think about other things is very important.

Also true. The technology industry for one is built on the premise of constant upgrading.

[/QUOTE]

Sadly it is written in stone that IT workers will forever be regarded as anti-social geeks.