Advice Appreciated

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by PtolemyGoatherd, Nov 14, 2010.

1. PtolemyGoatherd

PtolemyGoatherd Chieftain

I'm a student with a mac, and I've been hoping I could run it on my older macbook.
    Of course their system requirements are way beyond what I can run. Here's what's been posted - I've put what I'm lacking in bold.

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/story.php?ID=19350
    Expected Minimum Product Spec Requirements:

* Operating System: 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard)
    * CPU Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core)
    * CPU Speed: 2.4 GHz
    * Memory: 2 GB RAM
    * Hard Disk Space: 8 GB
    * Video Card (ATI): Radeon HD2600
    * Video Card (NVidia): Geforce 8600
    * Video Memory (VRam): 256 MB

I'm running OS X, and it's no problem upgrading to Snow Leopard. But my video card is really lacking (144 MB of VRam - not entirely sure of what my video card actually is), and I only have 1GB of memory, though some room could be made.

My question is, what should I do? Getting a new computer seems ridiculous, but so does all that hardware. Any suggestions?

FYI, I'm not particularly computer savvy.

Thanks!!

2. crag

crag Chieftain

You are going to have serious problems with your video card. I doubt it'll even run. Also 2 GB of RAM is minimum. So having more would probably be best. The RAM is easy, cause I bet your mac can use 3GB probably.

Like I said your video is the weakest link. And since it's a notebook your only options are to hack it (and install a new card - which I'm not sure is even possible) or buy a new one..

3. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

From your description it sounds like you have a MacBook with an integrated rather than dedicated graphics card. This can not be upgraded. I'm sorry to say that Civ5 would be an absolutely miserable and unattractive experience, if it even ran at all. Macbooks (including the Air) are just not designed for 3D games, you need a MacBookPro or some variety of desktop.

4. PtolemyGoatherd

PtolemyGoatherd Chieftain

I was afraid of that. Thanks for the information!

I do have a PC that could likely back home, but it seems silly to buy something I can rarely play...
    I'll see if something can be done.
    Thanks again

5. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

CPU Processor: 2.13 GHz Intel Core 2 Dou

Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9400M

Mem: 2 GB

VRAM (Total): 256 MB

Do I have a chance you think? It's an early 2009 Macbook. The one that was out right before the current ones. It runs all my other games just fine.

6. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

The GeForce 9400M is also an integrated graphics card that doesn't have its own dedicated memory. It might run but it really wouldn't run very well. MacBooks just aren't designed for 3D gaming, they'll struggle to run demanding games released in the same year, let alone a year and a half later.

From what l've read Civ5 is a fairly demanding game on Windows, and Windows uses Direct3D which is much faster and more advanced than Mac's very out of date OpenGL2.1/3.0. The Mac port of Civ5 is pretty much guaranteed to be slower and if Aspyr are setting the minimum specs so high then they're doing so for a very good reason.

7. Methos

Methos HoF Quattromaster Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I disagree. I use the 9400M and mine works fine. My settings are set to mostly low and the fog is black, but the game hasn't had any problems. I do notice that when the game first loads it takes a bit for the graphics to catch up, but once they do, the terrain looks fine. Note, this is using Bootcamp, though I would assume that if it works through Bootcamp, it would work when played on the Mac side.

8. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

I think I'll get V, and if it runs at all, great. If it doesn't run, oh-well.

9. Xyth

Xyth History Rewritten

The 9400M is a significant improvement over the earlier MacBook integrated graphics chipsets for sure.

The Mac version of Civ5 will probably run slower than the the Bootcamp equivalent due to Direct3D vs OpenGL. This is true of most games sadly. It's also worth noting that both the minimum and recommended specs for the Mac version are noticeably higher than for the PC version.

If you only have 2GB it will struggle badly on larger maps and in the late game since that has to be enough memory for the game, the OS and the display. Getting 4GB may alleviate this somewhat.

I guess we'll find out on the 23rd. I'd be happy to be wrong!

10. Skwink

Skwink FRIIIIIIIIIITZ

I have that problem, say playing World Map on IV. I might update to 4GB sometime.