Advice / Questions On Charlemagne Scenario

General_Jah

Warlord
Hi guys,

I just started up this scenario after buying beyond the sword and am trying to get a grip on what I want to to strategically.

I picked Eleanor rather randomly and am in a protective position in the sw corner of the map.

However, based on my 3 losses in a row due to religion I'm a bit paranoid about declaring war on one of my Christian neighbors in Europe.

In your opinion is the point of this scenario to wage war against the infidels and stay at peace with the Christians? Or is it ok to secure large tracts of territory where I am not?

Advice on a macro scale would be appreciated.

Also, I'm not certain on the ranks of Papal Favor I keep acheiving. Not sure what causes this to go up as I haven't really done anything.

I've only ever played this scenario once, but I found that decisive warmongering could be quite effective. The trick is to keep your favor high (I made lots of Caravels between builds and just gifted them to the Pope constantly), which gives you free units, and pretty good ones too. It also, I believe, helps persuade other Christian civs to leave you alone a little, since they don't want the hit in favor for attacking the Pope's favorite.

I found attacking the Muslims to the south to be incredibly hard - the one major assault I made, they took out my supply trains in one move, so my forces were doomed from the start. After that things started going downhill a lot more - the hit in power persuaded a couple of neighbours to declare on me, and it was only because I had a chokepoint that I managed to keep them back.

out of curiousity do you guys think that the scenarios are harder to play on the upper difficulties than say a random game?

Top Bottom