1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Aefon isle

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Fall from Heaven' started by Calavente, Apr 2, 2009.

1. Tielby

Tielby Prince

AFAIK, the result where your unit disappears can happen to ANY unit, so you can lose your uber-hero in the blink of an eye, no "saving throw". Then there are the results which can give your unit Wither or Diseased, which can make that uber-unit not so uber anymore, depending whether you have the resources to cure it.

And almost as bad as the "disappearing" result is the new mechanic for the crazed promotion. Thank goodness your uber-unit doesn't turn barbarian anymore, but it's basically not your unit anymore either.

Other negative results are more survivable by higher level units though, of course.

Somebody remind me, is it just the scout and ranger units who get better results from exploring lairs or is it any recon unit? And can a scout explore a lair while on a ship (resulting in better results for shipwrecks and Aefon Isle)?

Oh yeah, and waiting until you have higher level units to explore can also mean you lose the chance altogether. The AI may not explore lairs much, but other human players certainly will.

2. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

Well thanks... (irony)
    I knew that.. I not totally n00b.
    My issue is precisely that I didn't thought that the Aefon isle are "just as good but maybe worse" than a standard shipwreck.
    I was asking for the "way better boni" when positive" part.

3. Thunder_Gr

Thunder_Gr Emperor

This have changed quite a few patches ago. Units level 2(IIRC) or higher are immune to the "unit is lost" result of a lair.

4. Kyroshill

Kyroshill Huh?

Maybe it's just your english..... but I thought were more confused then you are :p

I've gotten techs from popping lairs.... that's a "way better bonus" although I have seen them on regular dungeons too, not just UFs..... plus sometimes a bad result can be good (not ALL mutations are negative, for example)

I think that it may be a matter of devising these better boni..... not sure that FfH currently has enough in the way of variety yet to have the grades of boni I think you are looking for

If this is the case... then time will proably improve this.....

And in FULL disclosure.... while I love popping lairs and dungeons on land.... I rarely explore shipwrecks at all anymore (unless I have drowns) because they've seemed to me more bad than good.... and losing two ships for any bonus is not usully worth it in my way of thinking

5. Deon

Deon Lt. of Mordor

I usually explore shipwrecks with scouts, it gives much better results.

6. Calavente

Calavente Richard's voice

yup,
    sorry Kyroshill. my english was really bad this morning :/
    It's just that "crab, fish gold and tech" are poped in shipwreck.
    so aefon isle are (for the moment) only the same as a shipwreck for the boni, and worse for creating barbs ...
    and true : scouts on ship give better results than the ship itself

7. WarKirby

WarKirby Arty person

Looking at the code for such things (in FF, not sure if it's different there) epic lairs like Bradeline's Well, have a 50% chance for a really good result, and a 50% chance for a really bad one.

normal lairs are more like 5% for the extreme results, and a lot of shades of grey in between

8. ICanHasName?

ICanHasName? Warlord

Does exploring lairs with scouts have any benifits? I thought they only got a bonus from exploring goody huts.

9. civ_king

civ_king Deus Caritas Est

Regarding duplication, I think everyone is thinking of Hall of Mirrors, because it duplicates and the abbreviation is HoM not MoH

10. xalien

xalien Prince

The point is that ship that holds the scout doesn't lose it's movement points and can run away from bad results.

11. zup

zup Emperor

I think somebody has claimed before that recon units have better chances when exploring lairs. Perhaps just a reduced chance of not returning at all, or something. (It is better to lose a fresh scout than spawn 3 azers in the warrior stage though.)