Aerial and Naval combat/strategy

It would be intresting if they have some mole vehicle, basicly a land version of the submarine, maybe it could destroy cities by diging underneath them and set some kind of explosion like sappers used to do.
It could be very late game unit that is very costly and its use could make everyone hate you.

submarines weren't really used to attack since they couldn't bombard the shore.. Submarines instead were used to defend against large primitive naval armies that were able to bombard the shore and cause damage...

submarines weren't really used to attack since they couldn't bombard the shore.. Submarines instead were used to defend against large primitive naval armies that were able to bombard the shore and cause damage...

So? I tend to play defensive games and I want a unit that allows me to kill enemy battleships and carriers quickly and easily. :D

Plus, in real life, the trend in naval warfare for the last one hundred years has been the submarine gradually becoming the decisive warship.

Really? Then they might as well all the other good boats on this one like the destroyer, battleship and submarine. :)

What I would like to see.

Carriers->attack warship (melee-can invade, long range attack capabilities, anti air, possible antisub perqs)

Naval fighter->defense warship (ranged, can get sub+naval attack perqs OR land attack perqs)

The carrier used to be designed as a mobile air base for air units in the sea.. The other boats had anti air, anti sub, melee and range attack capabilities..

The carrier used to be designed as a mobile air base for air units in the sea.. The other boats had anti air, anti sub, melee and range attack capabilities..

Well there won't be that many other boats

So far, it looks like there will only be 2 base naval units

Long range attack capability=Carrier (because of the air units on board)

That puts the Carrier into the strategic "attack" capability (ie entering into enemy territory to take cities)
To make it more useful, it would help if that Carrier could
1- have anitair/antisub capabilities (to deal with the defending forces)
2-be a Melee ship (ie actually capable of taking coastal cities)

Then the other naval unit can be defensive... essentially a sub (that can surface and do limited shore bombardment as well)

Now it is possible the "sub+antisub" abilities may get paired together for a general 'naval supremacy unit' (probably keeping the aa abilities on the Carrier)

the carries as assault ship is actually pretty close to todays reality:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibious_assault_ship

It makes sense because it provides invasion capabilities (landing craft, helicopters) as well as air support (helicopters, VTOL jets) in the same convenient package.

It would be intresting if they have some mole vehicle, basicly a land version of the submarine.

Tunneling is a very slow and unstable method of approach. It has been used in warfare, but onle over short distances. Its just not reliable over long distances, because the geology varies a lot. Thats why it is so hard to calculate costs for a tunnel in engineering, before beginning the actual work. A unit moving fast under the soil would be very unbeliveable, like those giant worms in Dune or Beyond Earth.

What was i arguing?

Tunneling is a very slow and unstable method of approach. It has been used in warfare, but onle over short distances. Its just not reliable over long distances, because the geology varies a lot. Thats why it is so hard to calculate costs for a tunnel in engineering, before beginning the actual work. A unit moving fast under the soil would be very unbeliveable, like those giant worms in Dune or Beyond Earth.

What was i arguing?

Technology have advanced alot, maybe our technology would be like medieval compared to theirs.
Also I did never say the unit would move fast, maybe only one tile per turn which is very slow because one turn is like one year.

Technology have advanced alot, maybe our technology would be like medieval compared to theirs.
Also I did never say the unit would move fast, maybe only one tile per turn which is very slow because one turn is like one year.

Which surprisingly IS the speed of a worm in Beyond Earth

Tunneling reminds of the trench wars that used to happen in ww1 Europe. ... some things happen so that people can remember and not repeat the same mistake.

Tunneling reminds of the trench wars that used to happen in ww1 Europe. ... some things happen so that people can remember and not repeat the same mistake.

Here in the italian-austrian alps, soldiers in WW1 entrenched themselves on the peaks of the mountains. The opposing force would then tunnel beneath the peaks and then blast it off with explosives. The defending party would then tunnel down to prevent the attackers from finishing their tunnel. Not many of those tunnels were actually finished though, because it was a very tedious work.

Top Bottom