Aerial Artillery Unit Request

Blue Monkey

Archon Without Portfolio
Doing some online research led to the discovery of a manuscript archived at U. Penn. with several interesting German combat engineering and weapons designs, including an early mobile rocket platform for use as siege artillery barrages. Since Wyrmshadow is no longer taken requests I'm posting this in hopes that someone else will be interested. The book was republished several times under different titles and in different languages, but the original seems to be in German. Perhaps someone (Ares de Borg?) could help translate the description under the one image. Because of the many editions there is quite a selection of illustrations, but I've only found one gif showing the weapon in flight. Hopefully that will be enough to develop the attack animation.

Static images
Spoiler :

in flight
Spoiler :

:lol:

Nice, but wrong: The manual does NOT describe rocket cats. The tactics was to obtain a cat from an enemy town or castle and to strap it with a small sack of powder. Once ignited, the cat was supposed to flee in terror and hide in a familiar place, for example a barn or house in the besieged settlement. It was NOT designed to fly (see this article)

Sorry guys, no Catyusha for us. ;)

Btw, are you sure the 2nd picture is based on an original? It's not in the book of Franz Helm (which is from 1535, btw, not from the 17th century as the picture above suggests). The writing is unusual as well. Caption says "Ein Schloß mit ainer Katzen an zur zündten - How to ignite a Château with a cat", can't really make something out of the text below.

i think this an old trick, and if i remeber right, i was very young back then, the mongols used it to ignite beijing...and the chinese used buffalos bourdened with with fiery straw, and the romans used the famous pigs painted with tar against elephants, and so on...

Blue, if you're on West Coast time then your request is a few hours early, n'est-ce pas? :)
Don't they call it Zulu Time anymore? At least as long ago as Musashi striking early was considered a legitimate and effective tactic.
:lol:

Nice, but wrong: The manual does NOT describe rocket cats. The tactics was to obtain a cat from an enemy town or castle and to strap it with a small sack of powder. Once ignited, the cat was supposed to flee in terror and hide in a familiar place, for example a barn or house in the besieged settlement. It was NOT designed to fly (see this article)

Sorry guys, no Catyusha for us. ;)
It only became "rocket cat" when it spread as an internet meme. Haven't found the "I can haz mowsel gren-aid?" poster yet. Helm also proposed similar use of birds - to attack granaries inside besieged locations. He was not the first on that score. AFAIK no one has ever suggested strapping a cat to a bird to make a mirv missile. Although someone (forget who) supposedly used a cat-apult at least once.
Btw, are you sure the 2nd picture is based on an original? It's not in the book of Franz Helm (which is from 1535, btw, not from the 17th century as the picture above suggests). The writing is unusual as well. Caption says "Ein Schloß mit ainer Katzen an zur zündten - How to ignite a Château with a cat", can't really make something out of the text below.
Yes, I looked at several academically respectable sites - including one with quotations in footnotes which I could slowly parse using my 30 year out of practice German. You are also correct about the later images - some of them are from later editions of Helm's book or publications by others who stole his ideas. This was in the days before defense contractors had huge intellectual property legal staff. The copyright date I used was from the publication page of the version at google books, iirc. Originally found about the cat incendiary through and article about the manuscript version held at U. Penn. (University of Pennsylvania in USA).

Similar to the exploding sheep unit.
IIRC Ares was the first to post in my thread about the elephant worker unit several years ago which also was never made. But isn't there an actual exploding sheep unit in the db? Or is it one Ozymandias must search for? We need more units to add to the upgrade line of The Holy Hand Grenade.

I have Exploding Sheep in EFZI2 Complete...uses the "AOK Sheep" that was first made by Aluminum. I modified the Unit flcs, and made sounds and images for use as Exploding Sheep for the Farmers :) If you want an Exploding Sheep, it works well.

The AOK Sheep in the Database has no Explosion and was uploaded by Luddi VII on Aug 07, 2006. Page 8 in "Other Units".
http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=1956

...are you really wanting a "Missile Cat" that explodes? :lol:

you might have heard , we had elections in Turkey and there were multiple black-outs during the vote count . The Goverment Minister for Energy did his best when it came to one in Istanbul -in order not to laugh . The officials have the dead body of the cat which shorted a distribution facility .

Easy to animate but does it really need a Flower pot to serve as the "missile"?
The various illustrations look like a flaming flowerpot, although in reality it was probably more like a leather pouch full of some incendiary material.

Blue Monkey... I can make the "Missile Cat" for you but need to know how you want to use it. What should I call the Unit? "Rocket Cat" ?

Probably best if set up as a Cruise Missile.

The Problem is that as a Cruise Missile, the Cat would need to be in the Air at all times because there are no Flcs that can show the Cat Launching from the ground unless you want the cat to Blast Off or Jump and land one tile at a time until it reaches its Target.

If you want the Cat to Jump one tile at a time to get to the Target before exploding, should it simply Jump on its own or should it Blast Off using the Vase.

I assume this is to be used as a Missile or did you just want the Cat to move to the Target then Explode?

You can take a Look at the Cruise Missile to see the animations used to see what I am talking about.

Top Bottom