Affinity Building Designs

edingess

Warlord
Here's an idea for Devs/modders: As a faction gains points in affinities, I think that the models for improvements, not just the model of cities, should change as you gain points in an affinity. What sense does it make to have Supremacy but still have your farms, ect., still look like what it did pre-affinity? Maybe once you surpass x level in an affinity, it should change to that design? It would look better. Just a thought.

Agreed. I'd like the improvements to change to match the affinity you pick. Cities shouldn't be the one thing to change, it looks weird.

Agreed. I'd like the improvements to change to match the affinity you pick. Cities shouldn't be the one thing to change, it looks weird.

IMO, the reason it looks weird is because only 75-85% of the model is changed (see the videos for an example). It may be a bug.

In addition to the improvements, I would also like to see affinity-specific skins for all units, not just ones with affinity specific upgrades like say, the landing ships (as seen in the pax video) or explorers (assuming they don't get upgrades).

Here's an idea for Devs/modders: As a faction gains points in affinities, I think that the models for improvements, not just the model of cities, should change as you gain points in an affinity. What sense does it make to have Supremacy but still have your farms, ect., still look like what it did pre-affinity? Maybe once you surpass x level in an affinity, it should change to that design? It would look better. Just a thought.

Late into a supremacy game one would think that farms become obsolete to something that produces energy instead. Perhaps you are required to replace farm tiles with trading post spam, even on your core cities.

Late into a supremacy game one would think that farms become obsolete to something that produces energy instead. Perhaps you are required to replace farm tiles with trading post spam, even on your core cities.

I kind of get the impression that even in the late stages of a supremacy game the majority of the population are more along the lines of cyborgs than fully uploaded minds. The only unit with a fully uploaded mind is the supremacy ultimate unit, after all, so that technology probably emerges pretty close to the endgame. It's possible that a fully uploaded society that can exist without food is something that would occur in the time period after the game has been won.

We do know that supremacy has very high energy requirements, so there will likely be good reasons to often favour generators over farms when compared to other affinities, but it seems unlikely that they'll escape the need for nutrient paste within the scope of the game.

Even if brain uploading becomes common, some food would still be needed to maintain the bodies of those responsible for population growth and nurturing the young until they are mentally mature enough to be uploaded. Because it's highly doubtful immortality would be sufficient to keep us from having kids, especially when the stated goal of the cybernetization is to allow spreading all across the galaxy.

Even if brain uploading becomes common, some food would still be needed to maintain the bodies of those responsible for population growth and nurturing the young until they are mentally mature enough to be uploaded. Because it's highly doubtful immortality would be sufficient to keep us from having kids, especially when the stated goal of the cybernetization is to allow spreading all across the galaxy.

If brain uploading is common, you don't need biological people at all for population growth.

Build a new server, make copies of all the brains on the old server, population doubled.
(if you want different people, then have an algorithm that generates a semi random brain simulation. if you can simulate an actual brain, you can simulate a madeup brain)

Basically once you have brain uploading, you should be able to build population with production, and sustain it with energy.

(giving those as options..ie "population growth" as a thing you can build that puts production into the food box.... and anytime your food supply is too low it subtracts from your energy supply (so no starvation as long as you have energy reserves)

Then, as farm boosts would be in Purity and Harmony techs/buildings, you would slowly replace all the farms with generators and mines.

There would probably still be applications for organic materials - plastics and lubricants for example.

That would be a tech that allowed you to use excess food for energy/production

Not only improvements, but I really hope they add Affinity themes/upgrades for the workers to evolve with the rest of your faction - such as robotic droids for Supremacy, native alien crawlers for Harmony, etc.

So far it looks like the worker unit remains the same "astronaut driving a forklift" even into the late game.

And does anyone else find it somewhat strange that all Purity factions default to the same Neo-Greco-Roman design? Wouldn't PAC opt for more traditional Chinese architecture while the Kavithans might prefer more of a Hindu Temple motif? It's a minor quibble I guess but there it is.

Yes, just as many civilian units in various Civ games altered as time passed, it would be nice to have affinity themed civilian units reflecting your dominant affinity.

Top Bottom