1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Afgnan Quran Burning Protests

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by LordRahl, Feb 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. attackfighter

attackfighter Emperor

If you're affiliated with a faction that regularly antagonizes a rival faction then you'd better have more sense than to live in an area likely to be attacked by the rival faction. They knew what they were getting into...

And anyways by your logic you might as well abhor the killing of any enemy soldier not personally guilty of a warcrime. They're basically just random innocents persuaded into serving an unfeeling state apparatus after all - not like they deserve to die. Your view on things is too peachy and optimistic. You will always have to kill innocents in order to punish a guilty religion, government, etc.

2. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

You're saying this as if a bunch of Bloods all decided to rent a house in Crib territory, not that a bunch of people living in the same huge swathe of territory that they had done since the neolithic, moving back and forth between settlements of different size and importance. Hell, some of were the same people being bounced back and forth between different religions depending on who was in charge. It's absurd on every level.

I don't believe that retribution has any sound ethical basis, so that doesn't present me with a problem.

3. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

So the son of the Duke who nearly conquered the Byzantine Empire, and then proceeded to conduct some very sucessful campaigns against it was interested in helping his 'brothers and sisters of the faith"?

4. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

I have heard the First Crusade described as many things, but "likely to happen" is not one of them.
    You Brits and your weird spellings.

5. attackfighter

attackfighter Emperor

You're missing my point. I'm saying that the innocents killed in the exchange simply found themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time and that their deaths don't change the fact that the idea they swore allegiance got it's just desserts. Furthermore I don't feel they deserve any pity, considering their situation was entirely avoidable had they took an a more precautionary approach in managing their lives.

They're living in a land considered holy by 3 religions. It doesn't take a genius to predict instability in the region...

6. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

If it was up to me, I'd've stayed on safe territory with the Govan Young Team and the Gallowgate Mad Squad, but none of you would have known what I was on about. :p

How is the entire population of the Levant emigrating en masse every time some French thugs get it into their head to turn up and start stabbing people a mere "precaution"?

7. ParkCungHee

ParkCungHee Deity

I think using the crusades as a historical comparison should be a bannable offense.

8. Tycho

Tycho AFK Forum Warrior

Wat.

You seem to be quite biased against the Muslims, sir. What is it that you are not telling us?

9. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

I thought it was pretty obvious.

10. Mr. Dictator

Mr. Dictator A Chain-Smoking Fox

This thread is approaching critical wat.

Anyways:

Burning korans is dumb.
    Rioting over burnt korans is dumber.
    The intricate details pertaining to the various conflicts and tensions between a constantly fracturing bronze age fairy tale is dumbest.

11. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Yes, we should burn the whole place, sow it with salt, and be done with it.

I am sick of Afghanistan, it's primitive culture, it's people, and the pointless Western involvement there. Let them just go about as usual - killing themselves in petty tribal wars. If Al-Qaeda establishes new camps, just use drones to bomb them. No need to risk any more Western lives for that cesspit.

12. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Funnily enough, the region was pretty damn stable for centuries before the Crusades, and spent centuries being stable some time after the Crusades were over. This "Levant is a magnet for warfare and destruction" thing is really a very new phenomenon.

13. Silurian

Silurian Deity

Meanwhile in Afghanistan, Afghani police men shoots two US officers.

From BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17163322

14. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

That's kind of the last straw for me. We've lost. Time to cut our losses and give up. :sad:

15. Terxpahseyton

Terxpahseyton How much Parmesan to put on your umbrella?

Yeah, who knew an inferior Afghani police men could take out two American heroes? This is crazy!

16. kochman

kochman Deity

This happened a lot in Iraq too... we would arm them, train them, etc... and then they'd shoot at us.
    I've heard about this several other times in Afghan as well...

Wonder why that could happen?

Jihad anyone? Taqqiya?
    No, that can't be it... Islam is a religion of peace, as long as you submit.

17. Silurian

Silurian Deity

This type of attack is not uncommon after incidents like the US koran burning. But I am not sure about the location.

18. kochman

kochman Deity

I will start with some basic premises...
    1) The message of a religion is what it should be judged on, not the actions of its individual followers
    2) Please do not cite anecdotes, but use verse
    3) There is a well known policy within Islam known as "taqqiya", where it is completely ok to lie, cheat, steal, etc for the advancement of Islam
    4) Due to #3, it stands to reason that having the verse about abrogation, which states that what came later from Mohammed in the Koran trumps anything that came earlier.
    5) The Koran is today, not arranged in chronological order (which makes #3 easier because most people don't know that).

More on abrogation...
    This doctrine is based on two verses that Allah allegedly instructed Mohammed to put into the Quran.
    That part, revealed in stages, is important.

Here is a site that talks about some of the abrogated verses...
    http://answering-islam.org/Quran/abrogatedverses.html

OR, better yet, here is the actual order the Koran should be in, you can look it up yourself and make your own judgment.
    http://wikiislam.net/wiki/Chronological_Order_of_the_Qur'an
    http://www.bombaxo.com/chronsurs.html

I posit, that, therefore, Islam is not at all a religion of Peace...
    But, at core, from its message, a religion of deceit and violence.

I would like for some apologists Moderator Action: Please don't troll around. to try to explain to me why this is inaccurate... I'd like to be shown the error in my way if it exists.

Thank you.

19. useless

useless Social Justice Rogue

So like christianity then? Well in practise at the very least.

20. AL_DA_GREAT

AL_DA_GREAT amour absinthe révolution

People forget that everyone has holy cows. Trying burning a holocaust monument in Isreal and see what happens. Try doing it in new york.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.