"Afraid"

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by Cromagnus, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Cromagnus

Cromagnus Deity

Darius's status was "Afraid", not "Guarded" or "Hostile". The mouse-over said "They fear our military might.

I've never seen this before, even when I was completely dominating in terms of military might. In this instance, I was only the #4 military, and Darius certainly wasn't in last place. In fact, he had more points, more population, more units, everything. Maybe on Deity the AI doesn't know it has a significant advantage? :p

All the games I've played, I've never seen that.

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Just one more turn...

Ethiopia is nearly always afraid of me.

They're pretty much the only Civ I've seen with this.

And, and Maria too sometimes.

3. Mesix

Mesix The Allfather

In my last game , Montezuma was afraid of me on turn 8. So was a nearby city state. All I had was a Spearman (from a hut upgrade) and a Scout.

4. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Emperor

It happens, rarely though. Whenever I see an Afraid AI I demand 5 gold per turn from them...it always works. I'm not sure if you could get more, I always go for the 5.

5. mdl5000

mdl5000 Prince

When I made contact with Austria, its status was "Afraid". I had only two warriors. Which is strange, because every civ starts with one.

6. Petiscator

Petiscator King

Austria loves to get afraid out of sudden... Isabella does that sometimes.

I just can't demand those things from them, they don't accept, which is weird given their status

7. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

Yea, had Ethiopia afraid of me. It was quite a surprise as I`ve never seen a Civ `afraid` before.

However, I wish it didn`t tell you they were `afraid` like it does. I wish they explained it more realistically. Any leader who is afraid of you in reality is not going to go around with a label showing he`s afraid. But people like everything spelled out for them, unlike in reality.

I think the Devs should have added more communication clues that would help the Player surmise that maybe his opponent is afraid.

8. whyidie

whyidie Emperor

Have had Austria afraid, a couple of times.

Montezuma was afraid, didn't stop him from declaring war on me 10 or so turns down the line. Tricky Monty...

9. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

Afraid means he wants to hate you, but is afraid you will kill him if he denounces you.

10. Jerman

Jerman Would you like a Trade Agreement?

This usually happens late game and if your military is 15 times greater than theirs. Then you can make demands from them.

11. fuzzatron717

fuzzatron717 Holy Warrior

Sejong of korea is nearly always afraid.

12. duckmanbro

duckmanbro Warlord

I find that Korea, Ethiopia and Monty (all already mentioned!) are the most "Afraid". Same as some of the posts above, my military is on average with their's in size, but with a few more advanced troops. And this is before I go on a domination spree and long before I have acted aggressively to anyone.

13. Capt Ajax

Capt Ajax Warlord

Yup! Korea was afraid of me on first contact, but I was playing Polynisia on an island map...

14. bcaiko

bcaiko Emperor

Yeah, Korea is the only AI who is consistently afraid of me. But that just makes him a good friend. :)

15. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

If they`re your friend because they fear you, then they`re not being your friend!;)

16. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Well, that's how the game originally started, but everyone complained it wasn't transparent enough. Now, their attitude is spelled out and, if they were hiding their real emotion (which they still do), they will tell you explicitly that they are backstabbing you (it wasn't something you did). Just think of it as your advisers or intelligence network telling you they're afraid, not the leader himself.

BTW, I've had it with Montezuma many times and (I think) Hiawatha once. I have genuinely no idea what it does because I haven't been able to take advantage of it. Monty at least looks nice when he's afraid.

17. Socratatus

Socratatus Emperor

Really? that was before I had the game then. A pity, I would`ve liked having to try and guess their emotions. I wonder if a Mod could remove that label? For now, assuming an adviser tells me will have to do.

18. Louis XXIV

Louis XXIV Le Roi Soleil

Granted, for afraid, it isn't very helpful. There's really the two animations - happy and angry. But you could at least try to guess those without textual clues.

19. Green_Power

Green_Power Chieftain

Pacal was afraid of me once, very early in the game. I don't know why. Probably a military spike or other indicator (a wonder I built perhaps ...).

He did denounced me (backstabbed) later on, so, I think Magma_Dragoon may be right :)