African Civilizations and City-States

Already have Ashante! Don't need Ghana also... Ashante is enouth to represent Ghana culture.

Also, Dahomey should be an amazing civ. With it's unique unit the Amazon Warriors.
I think maybe it was the Ghana Empire (Wagadou) which was located in Southeast Mauritania

I think maybe it was the Ghana Empire (Wagadou) which was located in Southeast Mauritania
Indeed. I don't believe anyone seriously suggested a civ led by Kwame Nkrumah or Jerry Rawlings.

Why replace Ghana with Dahomey?

Already have Ashante! Don't need Ghana also... Ashante is enouth to represent Ghana culture.

Also, Dahomey should be an amazing civ. With it's unique unit the Amazon Warriors.

Yeah, it was Ghana Empire, but I replaced it because would be too difficult to design and it would be kind of redundant with Mali.

Yeah, it was Ghana Empire, but I replaced it because would be too difficult to design and it would be kind of redundant with Mali.
IMO i don't mind overlaping civ but i do agree that Ghana civ is hard to conceptualize; i had that problem myself but yeah i get why you did the change

Indeed. I don't believe anyone seriously suggested a civ led by Kwame Nkrumah or Jerry Rawlings.
After you said, I don't think it is a bad idea to have Kwame Nkrumah as leader of Ghana, because Ghana was the first independent country who leads for independence of all British and French colonies.
And also Kwame Nkrumah also wears cools traditional clothes who can be explored in his civ.

After you said, I don't think it is a bad idea to have Kwame Nkrumah as leader of Ghana, because Ghana was the first independent country who leads for independence of all British and French colonies.
And also Kwame Nkrumah also wears cools traditional clothes who can be explored in his civ.
He wore then for a few social occasions, festivals, and photoshoots, but usually he wore Western-style three-piece suits.

Kwame_Nkrumah.jpg

Ashanti
Leader: Yaa Asantewaa
Start bias: close to a coast and adjacent to a river

UA: Gyaasehene - Commercial Hub grants +2 housing and +1 gold to its adjacency bonus for each adjacent mine, in addiction to +1 food for each adjacent farm or plantation. International trade routes receive +1 production for every resource in the home city and that the destination civilization doesn't have within its empire. Also, receive +5% gold for each city-state you are suzerain.

Leader ability: The Great Queen Mother - Your cities receive +20% production for land military units during Dark Ages. Gets another +20% production for land military if you are the target of a declaration of war.
It also grants a unique unit: Abrade - replaces Line Infantry. Available in Military Science. It's weaker than the Line Infantry (60 Combat Strength, instead of 65), but gets +10 combat strength extra against wounded units. This unit exercises zone of control.

Unique building: Abosomfie
Replaces Shrine
Available in Astrology
+3 faith
+2 culture
+4 loyalty
+1 citizen slot
+1 Great Prophet point per turn.
Allows the purchasing of Missionaries with faith.

Unique unit: Akwansrafo - replaces the Skirmisher. Can move after attacking if he still has moves left and his ranged combat strength is 35, instead of 30. Gains +3 extra combat strength if attacking from a jungle.

The Ashanti empire was a rich mercantile state that benefited from the trade of its vast natural resources, developing a populous kingdom with a sophisticated military organization. Yaa Asantewaa was the leader of the Ashanti rebellion against the British and today is a very important figure in Ghanaian history for her inspiring heroism.

Last edited:
Leader: Yaa Asantewaa
Very cool leader, I like womens leaders.

Another sugestion to be Ashanti leader is Osei Tutu, he is a kind of a mythological hero who found the kingdom.
I'm speaking about the first Osei Tutu, because nowdays kings of Ashantis is the Osei Tutu II.

I like womens leaders.
Some, I would say. Some, however, proposed on these forums are just bad ideas to fill the role, if you will. Of course, statistically, there will be a LOT more bad choices for male leaders proposed here, but gender or race have no inherent impact, in and of themselves, on the quality of a leader choice in Civ.

Some, I would say. Some, however, proposed on these forums are just bad ideas to fill the role, if you will. Of course, statistically, there will be a LOT more bad choices for male leaders proposed here, but gender or race have no inherent impact, in and of themselves, on the quality of a leader choice in Civ.
I agree with you, Catherine de Médici leading France was a poor choice, as an example...

I agree with you, Catherine de Médici leading France was a poor choice, as an example...
Yes. And the oft-suggested Evita Peron for a hypothetical Argentinian civ always seemed bizarre in it's insistent popularity when there's the elephant in the room choice of her husband, Juan.

Eleanor was a poor choice. CdM was fine. She wouldn't have been my first choice for France, but she was powerful, influential, and certainly fit the "big personality" ticket. I'm not necessarily eager to see her back in Civ7 or Civ8, but I think she was an interesting choice for Civ6.

Eleanor was a poor choice. CdM was fine. She wouldn't have been my first choice for France, but she was powerful, influential, and certainly fit the "big personality" ticket. I'm not necessarily eager to see her back in Civ7 or Civ8, but I think she was an interesting choice for Civ6.
But Eleanor was also influential and powerful :p. I mean, I'd rather her to lead either France or England. She could have been the medieval English representative and another French leader could have taken her place.

CdM was the effective ruler or at least head of government of France for pretty much all the reign of her three sons but also actual regent a few times in that period.

Eleanor's status in France was merely that of one queen among many (she did nothing exceptional compared to other queens), and one noble among other who patronized the arts. She never came close to runling France or even standing out that particularly among the French world of her era. Her status in England is rather more significant.

But Eleanor was also influential and powerful :p. I mean, I'd rather her to lead either France or England. She could have been the medieval English representative and another French leader could have taken her place.
Evie beat me to what I was going to say about Eleanor in France. Even in England, she never dominated her sons' reigns the way CdM did her sons. Eleanor is an odd choice for England, which has had an extraordinary number of powerful female rulers--Elizabeth and Victoria who keep coming back, but also Mary I Tudor, Empress Maude (for a little while), even going all the way back to the Saxons with Æþelflæd. England didn't need a non-regnant queen with so many powerful queens to choose from, and in France Eleanor's influence simply can't compare with CdM's. Another case of she would have made sense as ruler of Aquitaine--but do we need an Aquitaine civ? Hardly. Also the evidence for Eleanor's "Court of Love" being a thing that existed is scant, to put it mildly. tl;dr: Eleanor doesn't rank very highly at all on the unusually lengthy list of powerful women in England, and even in the much shorter list for France she doesn't make it very high on the list. E.g., I can think of several women I would have placed ahead of her--Marguerite d'Angoulême, for example, Anne of Austria, or either of Henri IV's wives (Margaret of Valois and Marie de Medici--only a distant relative of Catherine's).

Yes. And the oft-suggested Evita Peron for a hypothetical Argentinian civ always seemed bizarre in it's insistent popularity when there's the elephant in the room choice of her husband, Juan.
I mean Evita would have the personality though. :mischief:
Usually, I would like someone that actually wielded political power, but there are some exceptions and Evita Peron is one of them to me. Besides it's not like she wasn't influential in Argentina.
Eleanor works for me as a dual leader only. I would have been more disappointed if she was only leading one of them. Though if it was for only one, she makes more sense for England.

Eleanor works for me as a dual leader only. I would have been more disappointed if she was only leading one of them. Though if it was for only one, she makes more sense for England.
I hate the "one leader, two civs" gimmick, and I hate it even more now that it's been done twice. :sad:

Eleanor was a forced choice in every way.

There are good choices for leaders with two or more civs - I still stand by Charles V for Spain and Germany - but Eleanor was incredibly odd in every way.

Last edited:
I mean Evita would have the personality though. :mischief:
Usually, I would like someone that actually wielded political power, but there are some exceptions and Evita Peron is one of them to me. Besides it's not like she wasn't influential in Argentina.
Still, when the sociopolitical divide of Argentinian partisan politics outside Far-Left, Far-Right, Regionalist, and Indigenist, to this day, for decades, now, is often divided along an axis pivot of Peronist vs. Anti-Peronist, we know which one of the couple the ideological dominant terminology is named after.

Eleanor was a forced choice in every day.

There are good choices for leaders with two or more civs - I still stand by Charles V for Spain and Germany - but Eleanor was incredibly odd in every way.
Charles V for Spain, Germany, and the Netherlands, actually. ;)

Top Bottom