African Civilizations and City-States

Noooooooo.

My basic rule is that if I wouldn't include someone as exclusive leader of one civ, I wouldn't include them as a dual leader. Charles V I could see as (one of) Germany's leader even if Spain wasn't in the game, I would consider him for Spain alone even without germany, so he's a good dual leader for both. Because he is well known for his rule, his power and influence - and what happened in those countries - in both places.

But the Netherlands? Not so much. I would not consider him to lead them if Germany and Spain weren't in the game.

If the Netherlands are to have a dual leader, their Civ 3 leader (by mistake) would work lol.

It could be worse: it could be Philip II leading Spain and the Netherlands. :shifty:

You're not making this any better!

I'm a supporter of Charles V leading Spain and Germany at same time, isn't exactly German what he leads but as the holly roman emperor I think the extrapolation is possible.

Also Victoria should be leader of England and India 🤔🤣

Sooooo, wait.

Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, can be extrapolated to lead germany because Holy Roman Emperor is close enough.
Maria Theresa, Holy Roman Empress of essentially the same Holy Roman Empire, cannot be extrapolated to lead Germany because Holy Roman Empress is...not close enough?

:confused::confused::confused:

Sooooo, wait.

Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor, can be extrapolated to lead germany because Holy Roman Emperor is close enough.
Maria Theresa, Holy Roman Empress of essentially the same Holy Roman Empire, cannot be extrapolated to lead Germany because Holy Roman Empress is...not close enough?

:confused::confused::confused:
Both shouldn't lead Germany, but, by current fireaxis interpretation of "Germany" it's possible to Maria Theresa or Charles V leading Germany. Even because they don't seem to like to add new civilizations in the game.

Moderator Action: Thread has been reopened. Several posts have been removed from this thread.

I need to impress upon on all members that if you feel a post violates our site rules (e.g. trolling, flaming, incivility, etc.) then the appropriate response is to REPORT it so that staff may determine the appropriate action. Please do not reply or engage as that can also possibly result in punitive action.

Additionally, keep in mind the primary goal of these forums is to promote thought-provoking and useful discussion on subjects of general interest to our members. Members are free to disagree with statements put forth by others, but they should be done so in a respectful and civil manner. Please refrain from posting something that insults, or is intended to insult, another member (i.e. flaming).

Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Civilization: Sudan
Unique Ability: Something to do with the River Nile idk
Unique Unit 1: Shukuri Horseman
Unique Unit 2: Knife Thrower
Unique Improvement: Zariba (can built earlier than fort, is easily dismantled, but provides serious defensive buff to stationed unit)
Leader 1: Muhammad Ahmad (al-Mahdi)
Muhammad Ahmad was a religious leader who claimed to be the Islamic Messiah and galvanised his followers into overthrowing Turkish and Egyptian yoke over Sudan as well as achieving a remarkable victory against the British. Though his Mahdist state was short-lived, his struggle became the forerunner of Sudanese nationalism.
Leader Ability: al-Mahdi
Conquering cities and killing enemy units in Sudanese territory grant bursts of faith. Gain access to the Ansar unique unit, which replaces the missionary.
Ansar: Grants production bonus to military units upon spreading religion.
Leader 2: Sulayman Solong
Leader Ability: something to do with conquest. Gain access to Korkwa unique unit.
Korkwa: Similar stats to Spearman/Pikeman. Can only be trained in capital city. +1 movement and cheaper.

Civilization: Sudan
Unique Ability: Something to do with the River Nile idk
Unique Unit 1: Shukuri Horseman
Unique Unit 2: Knife Thrower
Unique Improvement: Zariba (can built earlier than fort, is easily dismantled, but provides serious defensive buff to stationed unit)
Leader 1: Muhammad Ahmad (al-Mahdi)
Muhammad Ahmad was a religious leader who claimed to be the Islamic Messiah and galvanised his followers into overthrowing Turkish and Egyptian yoke over Sudan as well as achieving a remarkable victory against the British. Though his Mahdist state was short-lived, his struggle became the forerunner of Sudanese nationalism.
Leader Ability: al-Mahdi
Conquering cities and killing enemy units in Sudanese territory grant bursts of faith. Gain access to the Ansar unique unit, which replaces the missionary.
Ansar: Grants production bonus to military units upon spreading religion.
Leader 2: Sulayman Solong
Leader Ability: something to do with conquest. Gain access to Korkwa unique unit.
Korkwa: Similar stats to Spearman/Pikeman. Can only be trained in capital city. +1 movement and cheaper.
The civilization you're re referring to here is the Sultanate of Darfur. "Sudan," didn't exist (except as a MUCH bigger geographical reference), at that point, but was, like so many other polities, purely a colonial creation. I'd suggest recognizing that in the civ's name, especially with the separation of the South Sudan several years ago.

The civilization you're re referring to here is the Sultanate of Darfur. "Sudan," didn't exist (except as a MUCH bigger geographical reference), at that point, but was, like so many other polities, purely a colonial creation. I'd suggest recognizing that in the civ's name, especially with the separation of the South Sudan several years ago.
I'm following Civilization VI's civilization design philosophy, wherein civilizations are a coalescence of different polities across different times connected through culture and geography.
You can see this in Indonesia, India, China, Korea and now, thanks to the Leaders Pass, Persia as well. Indonesia as portrayed in the game would more appropriately be called the Majapahit. But the fact that it is called Indonesia makes it possible for a leader like Hasanuddin of Gowa to lead the civilization, thus showcasing Indonesia's multireligious multiethnic history. For Korea you have Seondeok who was only the ruler of one of multiple states that make up Korea. Only recently has the Civilization series acknowledged the post-Achaemenid history of Persia. As for India, I am thinking of making a list of various Indian leaders from across history of different faiths and different kingdoms just to showcase how Indian history is larger than just Ancient India, Mughals and Gandhi.
One reason I like this approach is that we have more leaders and more representations of historical realms at the cost of fewer civilisations. This also allows modders to simply add more leaders to existing civilizations to represent important epochs and polities instead of having to create new civilizations from scratch, or waiting for Firaxis to give us a new civilization.

I'm following Civilization VI's civilization design philosophy, wherein civilizations are a coalescence of different polities across different times connected through culture and geography.
You can see this in Indonesia, India, China, Korea and now, thanks to the Leaders Pass, Persia as well. Indonesia as portrayed in the game would more appropriately be called the Majapahit. But the fact that it is called Indonesia makes it possible for a leader like Hasanuddin of Gowa to lead the civilization, thus showcasing Indonesia's multireligious multiethnic history. For Korea you have Seondeok who was only the ruler of one of multiple states that make up Korea. Only recently has the Civilization series acknowledged the post-Achaemenid history of Persia. As for India, I am thinking of making a list of various Indian leaders from across history of different faiths and different kingdoms just to showcase how Indian history is larger than just Ancient India, Mughals and Gandhi.
One reason I like this approach is that we have more leaders and more representations of historical realms at the cost of fewer civilisations. This also allows modders to simply add more leaders to existing civilizations to represent important epochs and polities instead of having to create new civilizations from scratch, or waiting for Firaxis to give us a new civilization.
In any case, Muhammad Ahmad ruled over a short-lived Mahdist state, not the actual State of Darfur.

In any case, Muhammad Ahmad ruled over a short-lived Mahdist state, not the actual State of Darfur.
He was also the great-great-grandfather of actor Alexander Siddig (Julian Bashir in DS9 plus an IMDb full of roles where he gave great performances in awful shows :p ).

Top Bottom