Afrocentrism: Does It Hold Any Merit?

So... there is no such thing as common heritage? As in "Cleopatra and modern day Africans share a common ancestor that modern day Europeans do not".
Ah, yeah, because Kleopatra VII and her family were a bunch of inbreds from Paralian Makedonia, so by definition, they'd share that "European common ancestor", if such a beast existed.

Bah. Everybody knows that everything was invented in Korea. On a serious note, on the topic of those articles, can't these Afrocentrists try to look at the achievements of people that we know of actual African origin, like Mansa Musa, Menelik, Askia Muhammad, Afonso I, Shaka, etc.? I'm certain that the vast majority of Afrocentrists do that instead of trying to make tenous connections to historical figures that were obviously not black.

Well the term afrocentrist comes with a lot of baggage. If I was a scholar of African history I would probably use that term and not afrocentrist. After all, people who study European history don't call themselves eurocentrist.

I hate how they claim that Jesus, Buddha and the Olmecs were black, especially the Olmecs, why don't they just stick to their own culturual achievements and stop trying to steal other's

So... there is no such thing as common heritage? As in "Cleopatra and modern day Africans share a common ancestor that modern day Europeans do not".
All Europeans share more recent common ancestors with some sub-Saharan African groups than those groups do with other sub-Saharan African groups. The fact that all sub-Saharan Africans are all lumped together into the same social "race" category doesn't change the fact that there's more ancestral diversity in Africa than in the rest of the world put together.

Top Bottom