After 200 Turns on standard speed some AIs still have arround 20 sience per turn... King difficulty

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hakuoh, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Hakuoh

Hakuoh Warlord

and lack like 15 Techs behind.. I dindt even early build my campus but this is ridiculous.. You can overun them so easy because they cant do **** vs your modern militair. Even Ais that dont wanna go for sience victory should see that completly ignoring sience just sets you way back in everything. Also it seems they completly have no clue how amenitys work and have constand rebels in there land.

2. 10KEyeCandy

10KEyeCandy Chieftain

I'm not sure about the AI's science problem. But the amenity part is definitely because every single one of them are fighting against an imaginary Gandhi in their heads from Turn 1.

Jokes aside, I'm really not optimistic about "patches will fix most of the AI bs" this time. Mainly because the tight restrictions of building districts and wonders has made strategic thinking and planning even more crucial than ever before.
    And if my 10 years of playing Civ game had taught me one thing, it's
    CIV AI CAN'T PLAN FOR SH*T, PERIOD!
    And I believe this is exactly why even on higher difficulties most AI would just became a more or less failed state in mid-later game.

idjit likes this.
  3. Chaleb

Chaleb Chieftain

If you're complaining about the AI's science output, play on a higher difficulty, it's really as simple as that.

Big J Money likes this.
  4. skallben

skallben Diplomat

And you base this statement on what?

5. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

sometimes it seems the AI is keeping up in science with me in the game, but those icons on the bottom of the tech tree are misleading. The AI seems to beeline some techs very much. I had England get ironclads before me on Warlord level! But only because she beelined for them and lacked several other key techs.

Note: She actually did deploy those ironclads as well.

6. Chaleb

Chaleb Chieftain

The OP said he was playing on King?

7. Civrinn

Civrinn Chieftain

Have you actually played 6 yet and have any idea what people are talking about when they are referring to AI issues?
    It isn't simply "turn up the difficulty".

8. Chaleb

Chaleb Chieftain

Yes, I'm well aware of the AI issues. If the OP wants more challenge he should play on higher difficulty levels. Like no ****, you're going to win on King difficulty easily. Going up in difficulty doesn't fix the AI but they will have more science and it will be more difficult.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
    Big J Money and Ryika like this.
  9. Civrinn

Civrinn Chieftain

I will take that as a "I haven't actually played yet". Got it.

10. Chaleb

Chaleb Chieftain

Ad hominem. I own the game, have beaten Diety 3 times. Not sure what you're getting mad at. My point still stands.

Ryika likes this.
  11. Kwami

Kwami Deity

I would argue that 20 Science per turn on turn 200 is too low, even for King AI. Turning up the difficulty does not fix the King AI problem.

12. Civrinn

Civrinn Chieftain

Ok I will take your word for it. Consider this however, gaining 20 SPT is pitifully easy. King difficulty is not meant to be Settler, it is meant to be King. The game isn't supposed to have 2 difficulties, 1 super easy, the other meh. It is meant to have a scaling effect. So when you come into a thread and say "HA well OP turn up the difficulty that is your problem here!". Well no, actually, 20 SPT in a King difficulty game by turn 200 is an actual problem.

idjit likes this.
  13. isau

isau Deity

They match or out-tech me on Emperor pretty often so it does at least get better, but it's true Emperor feels right now about where King/Prince should be.

Civrinn likes this.
  14. Chaleb

Chaleb Chieftain

I can't really give the developers too much hate for stuff like this. AI development is very expensive and time-consuming. Could the AI be better? Yeah, it could be a ton better. I think having the AI cheat in the beginning of the game is a nice medium-area to be in, from a game-design perspective, since it will still increase the challenge for the player who wants it.

You have all the right in the world to complain about AI issues, but if you're looking for a better challenge overall, get off of King difficulty.

As for difficulty-scaling, I think we can say that as people on Civfanatics we know a lot more about this game than the average person, our kind is not meant for King lol

Civrinn likes this.
  15. Kwami

Kwami Deity

There are plenty of players here that never get about Warlord, much less King. CFC isn't only for good players.

And, frankly, the AI needs to be better. I don't much care how much it costs for Firaxis to write better AI. They charged full price for the game, and I expect it to play like a full-priced game in single-player mode. How they make the numbers work is their problem.

idjit and Civrinn like this.
  16. Tlplw717

Tlplw717 Chieftain

OP, i think this is a valid concern, because it signifies how horribly the AI is at planning districts, etc (and I keep having this problem). Sure, they won't be able to get the AI to the point where it can plan well, but I could see them just adjusting the cheating so that they get higher science on King. Not a perfect solution, but it's probably the most viable solution

17. Chaleb

Chaleb Chieftain

It's easy to say "well it's their problem, I payed full price". You also payed for an all-new engine, new and unique civs, tons of new mechanics, etc.

Like I said, you have every right to complain about the AI not being perfect, but don't pretend you know the intricacies of creating AAA games by a launch date.

18. cazaderonus

cazaderonus Actual Dad.

Played my first game on king and the ai has obvious issues with progressing through the game. I m experimenting and am past t230 now but this game could have been over a hundred turns ago if i had pushed with my military.wanted to go emperor next game but i ll jump to immortal instead.

19. UWHabs

UWHabs Deity

My first couple games I thought the AI was fairly decent. My continent had 5 civs on it, and they were battling, the French got wiped out after being attacked from multiple AI, Arabia was spamming its religion everywhere, and while I still won, When I launched my space ship, 2 others were working on their first components.

But then yesterday I played as the Aztecs. Early rush to kill Pedro, and then basically another rush to slow down Cleo, sue for peace, build up army again, and take her down. So yeah, I was steamrolling my continent. But Russia was in the lower right corner, and was in a ****** spot with a massive desert next to him. But basically, he spent his entire early game trying to take out Stockholm and failing. Now, I've seen the AI take out a city-state before, but Stockholm was wedged in a mountain pass. 1 tile entry through hills on 1 side, and 2 tiles of hills on the other side. So watching this, he would just send his units in, suicide them against their walls, and then watch as Stockholm's units just beat him down. Then he would cycle in more units. I don't think he build an archer, and while he did get the city to the yellow a couple of times, never defeated it. And he kept going for about 100 turns. I went to invade him at around turn 120, and he only barely got up his second city. I mean, the Stockholm AI was great - I was having run watch them, they built catapults for defense, was in a real battle mode, and hung on. But Russia was just sad.

But yeah, definitely the AI still has massive issues. In the same game, Cleo while yeah had to fight me, and then a bit later also declared war against Stockholm, also never built plantations in her cap. She was farming it to high heaven, but had 4 plantation resources that she didn't touch. Definitely feels that the early game AI needs some work to at least think, "hey, I have resources in my land. How about first I research the techs to develop these resources, and I will plan to use my first builder on them" instead of being all "hey, I have a builder. Let's go farm 3 plots of land that I probably won't use right away because that's all he can do right now."

Civrinn likes this.
  20. neilkaz

neilkaz King

1) Agreed and people really shouldn't complain about the AI's lack of development unless they are playing vs Emperor or better yet above.

2) How does one see how much Science the AI's have? Yeah, I am having many issues finding stuff with a rather clunky (to me) and quite unfamiliar UI.

Thx .. neilkaz ..