1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

After Annapolis, it's back to business in Israel...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Che Guava, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Che Guava

Che Guava The Juicy Revolutionary

... /sigh/ and here we go again....

link

Ugh, even if the site of teh homes is technically not part of the peace agreement, I think this shows a lot of bad faith in negoations on Israel's part.

Comments?

Questions?

2. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Big shocker, but I side with Israel. They were attacked and took that land in a defensive war. Cry me a river all you all want, but a unified Jeruselum is Israeli now and forever. Deal with it, world.

3. Verbose

Verbose Deity

Is that the US bargaining gambit?

Wouldn't seem so, from the US Foreign Sec's comments. No matter. The US simply continues to demostrate how diplomatically obsolete it had become in Mid Eastern politics. Very forthcoming of the Israelis to show them up like this.

Except, of course, the weird situation that Israel is the one who really needs peace at this point.

If the US has apparently lost all clout, as this seems to indicate, the reasonable assumption is that the future development will be decided in places like Teheran and Ankara. The Israelis woud seem to have realised this at about the time of the last invasion of Lebanon. They resent it, but they know they have now lost the initiative to unilaterally decide the outcome of this conflict.

The one mystery is why at this point they chose to trip up their bigget and best friend in international politics like this? Unless they also consider the US useless by now.

4. boarder

boarder King

And so its continues...

5. sourboy

sourboy Awakening...

I'm sure the US knew full well and is playing dumb now.

I agree though, Israel has the right, regardless...

6. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

Houses? Those bastards! :mad:

7. Verbose

Verbose Deity

I must say you guys are at least consistent in your support.
    They flip the US govt. the bird over this, and you side with Israel.:D

Whether this is what Israel needs, the US wants, and a good idea, is another matter...

8. bathsheba666

bathsheba666 Fast 'n Bulbous

So, nothing new.

The US periodically postures like it cares, but it's always back to let the Israelis do what they like.

9. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

I have a comment, actually: if Palestinians really believe, that Israel will give them East Jerusalem as their capital, they're even more stupid than I thought.

I'd evacuate the smaller settlements enveloped by the Palestinian territories, and annex the rest. Borders would have to be a bit straightened, which would include some population transfers.

10. Rambuchan

Rambuchan The Funky President

What Verbose said, in both posts. A very fine analysis there.

11. Winner

Winner Diverse in Unity

Unilateral solution is all they have left. There is next to none chance of compromise with the Palestinians, no matter what faction currently holds the high ground. So long as the regimes in Syria, Saudi Arabia, Libya, Iran etc. remain fanatically anti-Israeli, a lasting deal with the other Arab/Muslim states is also out of question.

Talking will get them nowhere, so I guess they'll eventually solve the situation themselves by annexing parts of Western Bank and separating themselves from the rest.

12. Che Guava

If the unilateral solution of annexing what they please (or at least, what they think is necessary) is what is right, or what owrks, or what is going to be done regardless, why waste everyone's time making promises at Annapolis? Why not just stand up and say: "we're taking Jerusalem, pick another capital, its that deal or none!" instead of promising things they won't (or can't) deliver?

13. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Okay, I may have misunderstood then. Did they actually put Jeruselum on the table at Annapolis?! I cannot imagine they did that.

14. Che Guava

Well, he certainly did say that he would be willing to negotiate the 'status of Jerusalem', and previously stated that he would be open to giving up at least outlying palestinian neighbourhoods.

So maybe I jumped the gun a bit on 'promises', but Olmert certainly did suggest that it would be up for debate. To continue construction in E J right now just seems like bad faith to me...

15. Verbose

Verbose Deity

Israel can act unilaterally. They can no longer act unilterally to solve the conflict. They can unilaterally keep turning the screw, which either ends with a general conflagration in the area, or at least to turning Isreal into an apartheid state.

Me, I think it's to the Israelis' great credit that they don't like either of those two latter options, but each to his own I guess...

16. nivi

nivi Call me Ishmael

Olmert is very much a lame duck by now, and he just doesn't have the political capital to do this. This was actually in the works after the Gaza disengagement, however the Lebanon war came and threw a wrench in the whole plan.

17. Nobody

Nobody Gangster

ummm... it says 67... that war israel started.

18. Verbose

Verbose Deity

Exactly. Nobody outside the Arab nations had a problem with Israel pre-1967. After 1967, Israel had a problem.

19. bhsup

bhsup Deity

Oh, come on. The enemy is massing to attack and Israel was supposed to sit there and wait to be attacked? It was started by the others any way you slice it.

I guess if the USA had attacked the Japanese fleet at 4am on December 7th, 1941, we would have been the aggressors as well. Insane.

20. amadeus

amadeus めっちゃしんどい

Just because Nasser said that the Arabs wanted to fight and destroy Israel just a week before Israel launched operations doesn't mean anything and you know it.