After lit should we go on a straight path to monarcy?

Should we go for monnarcy?

• Yes

Votes: 21 75.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Abstain

Votes: 3 10.7%

• Total voters

Strider

In Retrospect
We are currently researching lituture. When we complete that should we research polytheism & then monarcy?

This proposal has been approved already, but it needs to be polled.

I think this is a logical plan of action. However, I am concerned that we seem to be falling behind the tech race once again (even after we went through all the trouble to trade all of our contacts and pulled out in front).

We either need to up the Science budget or we should target a tech that the other civs won't likely pursue so that we can use it to trade with them to pull even in the science race once again. In short, I think this is a good strategy, but we should not be so rigid in our plan that we lose an opportunity to make a trade for other knowledge (ie. Map Making, Mathematics, Construction, etc...).

Of course, if anyone can determine/predict/divine which tech the other civs are not researching, it would be a big help. ;)

We have fallen behind in the tech race in one short t/c. Because we have spent so much time avoiding Monarchy, it will be very hard for us to catch up via the science rate.

Not to mention 3 cities was too little to keep up (we have been at 40-turn research for the ENTIRE GAME!! 100% science included!). We have 5 now (1 is in danger of a culture flip due to its' proximity to the Aztec Capital). We need more to keep up.

i've been saying this for a month! now we start doing it when it my be too late already...

Yes,I wanted it for ages.

Once Literature is finished, we should make a bee-line to Monarchy :).

Originally posted by Cyc
We have fallen behind in the tech race in one short t/c. Because we have spent so much time avoiding Monarchy, it will be very hard for us to catch up via the science rate.

Cyc.... monarcy would have helped us VERY little in catching up. We are also falling behind in culture, most nations already built temples in their cities. The addition of libries will give us a cheaper culture improvement with scientific benefits. You might plead that we can not use those libired without monarcy, but that is incorrect. Yes they will not work as good in depotism, but he hold a much greater chance of catching up in the science rate going straight for lit than going poly,monarcy, & lit.

Also this way.... If we do not have enough time to build libries, by the time monarcy is done we might have some libries a turn away or something.

There is something that people have refused to learn here. At emperor level we WILL NOT be able to out research the AI. Libraries do not matter one fig except for their cultural value. Money spent on research is money flushed down the toilet. Do the smart thing and get technology from the AI. Let them invest in research. Purchasing techs costs an average of 20% of what researching them costs.

Originally posted by Shaitan
There is something that people have refused to learn here. At emperor level we WILL NOT be able to out research the AI. Libraries do not matter one fig except for their cultural value. Money spent on research is money flushed down the toilet. Do the smart thing and get technology from the AI. Let them invest in research. Purchasing techs costs an average of 20% of what researching them costs.

Exactly.;)

Actually not exactly....

It is alway possible to keep up in research with the AI.

Yes you can purchase them from the AI for less than is costs to research them, but that waste's the effects of having a unit before a AI. We will get about no where if we have the same exact units as the AI, but they've had more time to build them.

Originally posted by Strider
Actually not exactly....

It is alway possible to keep up in research with the AI.

Yes you can purchase them from the AI for less than is costs to research them, but that waste's the effects of having a unit before a AI. We will get about no where if we have the same exact units as the AI, but they've had more time to build them.

Strider, the only way to keep up with the AI by researching on this level is to have about 4 times the landmass of the next most powerful civ. That is not going to happen for a long time. Have you ever played on emperor level?

No, Strider. At this level, this early in the game there is NO WAY to out research the AI. Techs must be acquired through other means just to stay on par. Since those other means must be used anyway, why stay with the absolute least effective method of spending our resources on research?

I think most just don't feel comfortable with 0% research...

Turn down science to 10% or 0% (with a scientist), and research the most expensive end of the line tech. Cash in, buy when everyone else has the tech, try to stay on par, but be the last to buy if possible.

Do that for a while. Hard to tell when to start researching on your own. Music Theory can be good to research on your own.

Originally posted by Chieftess
I think most just don't feel comfortable with 0% research...

The best way to accomplish the illusion of 10% research is to turn a citizen into a scientist, and then drop science to 0%.

Originally posted by eyrei

The best way to accomplish the illusion of 10% research is to turn a citizen into a scientist, and then drop science to 0%.

Actually 10% with alot oof libries is a good way to have a good research rate, but not spend much money on researching. It's something I've used all the time.

Eyrei: No... I have never played on emporer... I have played on Diety and managed to get throught the game alive and in the same age as someone else (I always lose through)

Hey, I'll be a lone voice of dissent. I have no problems researching to monarchy, but I suspect that the AI will get there first, and trade/give it to most of the other AIs, leaving us with nothing to barter and being further behind. I'd rather try to get a unique tech, and then trade for Poly and Monarchy.

Alternatively, we can pre-build for Great Library, and save all our money.

Top Bottom