1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Vanilla] After making a map in Editor, can't find it in file Explorer.

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Technical Support' started by Garrus-N7, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Garrus-N7

Garrus-N7 Chieftain

So, I create the map in editor, and when I try to find the map to move it to an emulator version, it's not there. As if I didn't save, though I did because in the editor I can load it in fine.

Also anyone here know if any other versions work on Exagear strategies? I currently play on vanilla, but others get wine problems (well complete at least, I can't find an edition that's not complete) and I really want to play Conquest at least.

2. Quintillus

Quintillus Archiving Civ3 Content Supporter

I'm a bit confused over the platform you are running Civ on - it kind of sounds like Linux given Wine, but also like Windows given Explorer. But the only explanation that comes to mind applies to Windows. And that is, that if you are on Windows and have Civ3 installed in C:\Program Files, or C:\Program Files (x86), and you have User Account Control (UAC) enabled, then when you try to save a scenario to Civ's install folder, it often disappears. This is due to Windows attempting to protect programs from viruses that might maliciously alter their install files. Unfortunately, since Civ3 (and many other games) predate Windows Vista and have their scenarios saved within their installation folder, this often results in scenarios (and sometimes save files as well) appearing to disappear for no good reason.

There is a way to find the files; look up Windows Virtual Store (which is very different than the Windows Store), which is what Windows uses to save the files that it automatically removes. However, I strongly recommend instead reinstalling Civ somewhere outside of Program Files - such as C:\Civilization III - to avoid this problem entirely. Note that you'll want to back up any scenarios or saves you have first, as uninstalling will unfortunately delete these from the old installation directory.