After the Bamiyan Buddhas, Mohammedans target second-largest statue

aneeshm

Deity
Orthodox/Fundamentalist/"Real" Muslims, rejoice! It'll warm the cockles of your heart to know that the same thing Mohammed did to the Kaaba, his followers are still doing everywhere else in the world.

Everyone else, read it and weep.

Link

Attack on giant Pakistan Buddha

Suspected pro-Taleban militants have tried to blow up an ancient carving of Buddha in north-west Pakistan.

The statue, thought to date from the second century BC, sustained only minimal damage in the attack near Manglore in remote Swat district.

The area has seen a rise in attacks on "un-Islamic" targets in recent months.

This is the first such attack in Pakistan and is reminiscent of the Taleban's 2001 destruction of the giant Buddhas at Bamiyan in Afghanistan.

Dynamite

Officials and witnesses in Swat said armed men arrived in the area on Monday night.

"Militants drilled holes in the rock and filled them with dynamite and blew it up," provincial archaeology department official Aqleem Khan told Reuters news agency.

"The explosion damaged the upper part of the rock but there was no damage to the image itself."

And eyewitness, Shahid Khan, told the BBC that because of its location on a steep ridge the statue had been only slightly damaged. It is carved into a 40m (130-foot) high rock.

Local archaeology expert Professor Pervaiz Shaheen told the BBC that the Buddha statue in Swat valley was considered the largest in Asia, after the two Bamiyan Buddhas.

He said it was 2,200 years old. Swat valley is a centre of the ancient Gandhara civilization.

"They constructed similar smaller statues and figurines, dozens of which are still present in the area," Prof Shaheen said.

Swat has seen increased pro-Taleban activity in recent months, with the re-emergence of militant group Tehrik-e-Nifaz-e-Shariat-e-Mohammadi (TNSM) under new leader, Maulana Fazlullah.

Last week, militants blew up about 60 music, video and cosmetics stalls at a market in the valley after stall owners ignored warnings to close businesses deemed un-Islamic.

The world watched in shock in March 2001 as Afghanistan's then rulers destroyed the 6th-Century Bamiyan Buddhas. The Taleban said they were offensive to Islam.

Gandhar - one of the great kingdoms mentioned in the Mahabharat. A region which was once a seat of Buddhist thought and learning, or fine arts and architecture, where the people were happy and numerous. Which once had civilisation, and which was once capable of building things of this scale and size.

And then it all came to an end.

Idolatry is an objectively terrible sin. They are completely justified in destroying it.

Idoltry is a sin to buddhists? (I don't know).

If it is not an idol of your god, why would you care? Because your religion says 'no idols' - that goes for everyone else too? Authoritarian much?

I know, you were kidding, but I really am curious what buddhists say about idoltry...

And then it all came to an end.

Dammit, you deleted the "and then they came" troll while I was looking for a picture of E.T.

That's ok this thread still has plenty of lulz. A Hindu nationalist condemning acts of cultural disrespect by Pakistani nationalists, laffo.

Bill3000, isn't that like saying, "Hey, I know Darth Vader was wrong, but he was clearly within his rights to build that Death Star. After all, he had the proper zoning permits."

edit: I don't care what your religion says, you just don't destroy human history and heritage for everyone simply because you have a personal beef with it. The thing was over 2200 years old.

Dammit, you deleted the "and then they came" troll while I was looking for a picture of E.T.

That's ok this thread still has plenty of lulz. A Hindu nationalist condemning acts of cultural disrespect by Pakistani nationalists, laffo.

Its not cultural disrespect. Its cultural destruction in the name of islam.

I think it is disgusting to try to destroy a piece of history like this. I think it's time for a....

BUDDHIST JIHAD!

militants in that area have always tried to target pre-Islamic monuments... this is nothing new

Too much religious zeal makes people stupid, I am coming to this conclusion...

What a flippin' waste of dynamite.

UNESCO is a very useless organisation atm. It's time to make it more useful.

The international community needs to put pressure on Pakistan to conserve these sites.

UNESCO is a very useless organisation atm. It's time to make it more useful.

The international community needs to put pressure on Pakistan to conserve these sites.

Pakistan is a little busy trying to conserve its self from being over run by these same idiots.

Oh god. Stupid Taliban.
STOP
GIVING
MUSLIMS
A
BAD
NAME!!!!!!!!
(This is directed to the Taliban, not you guys)

Well, it's those highlanders in tribal areas, I don't think something like that could happen in Karachi or other big cities. But again, I could be wrong.

I dont see what the acts of a raging band of vandals has to do with Islam so:

1. Why are they relating this to Islam ?
2. Why are you relating this to Islam ?

Apparantly the vandals claimed their act is in the name of Islam.

Because they think they're doing something good in the name of the Islam, but they really are not.
Because they are relating this to Islam.
Comments in bold :)

Time for fanatical buddhist suicide bombers to blow up mecca.

Wait.. that doesn't sound right for some reason.

No, but that would be cool! :lol:

Nah, just kidding. I think that people of different religions should not blow each other's statues and monuments and the like, but just leave them there.

EDIT: 400th post... wasted on this. Whatever. [party]!

Top Bottom