1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

After the Lord of the Rings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by The Balrog, Dec 19, 2001.

?

What do oyu think about the movie?

1. LotR 4EVA!!!!!

40 vote(s)
    70.2%
  2. Go Lotr, go lotr.

9 vote(s)
    15.8%
  3. It's allright.

6 vote(s)
    10.5%
  4. I want my money back!!

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. The Balrog

The Balrog ***Not Perm Banned***

What do you think of the movie???

I just returned from the Cinema and i think that the movie is: SUPERB, SPLENDID, EXCELLENT!!

THIS IS ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE SEEN THE MOVIE!!!

2. Glaurung

Glaurung Warlord

dude, have you even read the books? this is a pointless thread, but, as i will be seeing tomorrow, i will no doubt like it.

3. jc011

jc011 Rider of Rohan

I have not seen it yet, but I expect it to be very good!! :D But I don't believe they took Tom Bombadil out!! :(

4. joukov

joukov Communist Nazi Slayer

awesome its awesome just like it........... but it will probably hard for the who has not read the book to understand all the complexity of the middle earth. but its great hawwwww i love it even if the french version suck a little bit......:D

5. Mongol Horde

Mongol Horde Resident Savage Army

Did the French version have subtitles or was it dubbed?

6. Nick

Nick Chieftain

They left Bombadil out of the excellent BBC Radio version as well.

7. The Balrog

The Balrog ***Not Perm Banned***

Uhmmm.... Yea' i just finished, THe Fellowship of the Ring.

8. Sodapop

Sodapop Teh pop in teh can

Well, don't you know a majority of Quebec's population can't read :p ;) Nah, just kidding. But the great majority of our movies are dubbed. Not kidding there. As an american, you're probably asking yourself "How can they live with it?" I know you guys in the US hate that, but we have many known artists that make the voice in French, and we sometimes get very good translated movies. But I like english version more than french translation, that's more real, more natural...

I'm going to see it this afternoon, I'll post my comments tonight. I can't wait :mad:

9. Mongol Horde

I have just finished listening to that, it is good isn't it. I do kinda understand why Bombadil is left out of any abridged versions though. Although his section is interesting and well written, I think the story works just as well with that bit taken out.

I would be interested to know if anyone else had heard the BBC radio version and what they thought of it. Personall I thought it was excellent although the voice of Frodo never really sat comfortably with me. Trivia fact: the guy who played Frodo will be playing Bilbo in the films.

10. FearlessLeader2

FearlessLeader2 Fundamentalist Loon

I do not think there could have been a better screen interpretation of the book. Using Arwen to handle transporting Frodo to Elrond was in point of fact a stroke of brilliance. We eliminate a useless bit player (the elven lad who originally handled the chore), allow the movie to more fully explore Arwen's character, and the story suffers not in the slightest. Other characters, like Bill Ferny, are seen, but not mentioned, which is fine, as a few seedy folk hanging around Bree are all the foreshadowing one needs.

Tom Bombadil's part in Fellowship was a stifling yawn of a bore for me my first time through, and ever since, I have skipped that chapter when re-reading the trilogy. His removal from the script was a blessing. The whole chapter seemed to be a vast unweildly contriviance to arm the hobbits with some nice little Westernesse blades. Aragorn unrolling a bedroll with some daggers in it took care of that nicely.

And I have to say, the fall of Boromir was done magnificently. So many things in the book that I had always had to suffice with imagining have now been made nearly real, and I am definitely going to see this movie again in theatre, and buy it on DVD as soon as it comes out.

The scene where Pippin drops that dead dwarf into the well was done perfectly, right down to his innocent chagrin in the face of Gandalf's ire. And the Balrog!!

11. Glaurung

Glaurung Warlord

i thought it was ok. i couldnt stand all the parts that were left out and changed. wtf is up with merry and pippin just bumping into them? "oh, ok, well come." gay.

i think bombadil and the barrow downs are quite necessary. bombadils chapter is one of my favorite parts. and, where did aragorn get those nice little knives. where could he get them? only at the barrow downs, and other such ruins. that is essential to te story, because only that kind of blade would be able to harm the witch king.

there are also many(tons of) minor inaccuarcies. ie, elendil falling on his blade.

and, that was no elvish 'lad' that saved them. thats freaking glorfindel, and he was also at dagorland, and is a great elvish lord in his own right. the whole warrior princess thing just makes me sick. same with aragorn in the beginning. what a scum bag. whats up with him leaving them on weathertop? and that whole battle was done horribly. they had a fire, a quite large one, and, when they were attacked, they were farther down the side, on the north, i think. 3(or 2) wraiths attacked from the top, and 2(or3) attacked from the bottom. the hobbits standing up to the wraiths is ridiculous, they would be in some corner hiding. and, aragorn fighting them with a sword is even more ridiculous. for one, at night, they chose not to be seen in the book. and, aragorn knows if he stabs them hes dead. and, i dont think he even had a sword at that point, just a hilt....

saruman's role was heavily overdone. not even gandalf knew he had one of the palantiri until the end. if all that extra had been left out, they would have at least 30 mins to spare on the beginning, or even the council of elrond. and damn, bree was done horribly. only one night of freaking traveling and they are there. damn, it took them a few weeks to get there in the real story. could have done a better job with moria. cave troll wasnt necessary. gandalf didnt know gollum was following them, either, or at least he didnt mention it in this book.

must admit, the balrog was done nicely. but, the rest, i think is far too off course for the movie to be considered a 'nice' interpretation. and, i dont think it will be the 'classic' i thought it would.

oh well. i had a feeling id be disappointed when i went into it.

12. Mongol Horde

I understand what you are saying Glaurung on how you thought that some bits of the movie could have been done better. At some point though you have to let go of the book and accept the movie as a piece of art in its own right. It is such a cliche for people to come out of a movie and say "The book was far better" as if by saying that they are claiming some kind of intellectual higher ground.

Although the film weighs in at a hefty three hours that is simply not enough to fit the whole of the fellowship, a question of simple maths. It seems to be Glaurung that you are trying to compare a film with a book which is impossible as the mediums are completely different

Anyway I see the film tommorrow night, I will let you know what I think of it then

13. God

God God

I agree with Glaurung on some of those points.
    They should have spent much more time on bree and more time in Lorien. The Galadriel talking to Gimli in dwarvish was an important part because Gimli finally liked elves.
    Also Saruman didn't cause the storm in the Misty Mountains, it was just bad luck.
    Aragorn and the friends found out Boromir was dead in the second book, but i really didn't mind that. People needed to know what happened to him and can't wait a whole year.
    Hobbiton and the Shire was done really well. I loved the whole party and everything.
    Originally i thought it would be stupid having Arwen in for Glorfindel but she played a good role.

It was still a great movie, but i came expecting more. The trailers made it look better. Still i loved it. :yeah:

14. Lefty Scaevola

Lefty Scaevola Moderatus Illuminatus Super Moderator

The blades that the Barrow wigts hade were made in Arnor or its sucsessor kingdoms. Aragon as the heir to the royal line would undoutedly have a large supply available somewhere.
    . IIRC Narsil was brocken when the slain Elendil feel on it .

Gil Galad was burned to death from Sauron's flames (sounds like for that incarnation, after his death in Numenor, he took a balrog like form). Elendil mostly done for him but was slain. Isildur finished him off.

15. Glaurung

Glaurung Warlord

wasnt necessarily bad luck on caradhras, it was more the mountain itself not letting pass. i think that was still an interesting interpretation, though. it just made it a little more obvious with them saying it was saruman.

16. TrailblazingScot

TrailblazingScot I was kittenOFchaos

This film is the best I've ever seen (and I've read all the books MANY times over starting when I was 5-6 when my dad read it to me).

Although certain aspects like the movements of Gandalf (the timeline was a bit confused at the start with Gandalf getting to ?Isengard in a few minutes, so it seemed!), the portrayal of travelling in space (esp. brandywine ferry to Bree) and Gandalf not being physically dragged down by the Balrog but letting himself fall would have been nice.

My main comments on the film (that I make at 5:30 am are on this thread):

http://pub6.ezboard.com/faxisandalliesessayfeedbackchatter.showMessage?topicID=837.topic

I love this film and will be returning to the cinema tonight or VERY soon to repeat the experience...(hopefully I'll be further from the sceen, row two was a little too close, especially when those orcs were bearing their teeth!)...if you didn't enjoy this film immensely and are not impatient already for the subsequent films then I pity you (hell your sexual partners have their work cut out!)

:D :D :D :love: :love: :D :D :D

17. BlueMonday

BlueMonday Can I Kick It?

I must say: Do not miss this movie in theatres.

Personally, I loved it; LOVED IT! It had everything I could ever want in a movie. At times it was bright and gleefull, yet at others it was absolutely terrifying. The acting was superb, the story was incredible (and as close to the book as is possible for a 3:10 movie), and the special effects were beyond incredible. If they don't get every award possible for special effects, I'm going to start firebombing. Most of all, unlike most fanatasy movies, it didn't have that candy-apple atmosphere that makes you go, "Well that was cute." Everything was impossibly amazing, but yet dark and brooding. Intensity is the word. I haven't been that tense during a movie since I saw Saving Private Ryan.

...and I had one damn fine lady clinging to me the whole time...OH YEAHHHHHHH!

18. CurtSibling

CurtSibling ENEMY ACE™ SLeague Staff Supporter

"You fool of a Took!"

I went to the cinema with my younger bro and had the frame of mind "OK, Lotr...impress me!" and it blew me away.

From the stunning battle scene at the steps of Mordor at the start until the battle with the Balrog, it was visually superb!

Real other-world fantasy that is sincerely realised, I heard peoplesobbing when Boromir died! (no kidding)
    In short, the audience was child-like, spellbound!

I will not compare it to any other movie this year, coz there are no comparisons, the whole book was captured and made exciting!

The vision is intact from the book and I feel anyone who walks out on the movie because it is not up thier standards...well, go and make yer own movie!

The cast was damn good..veteran thesbian Christopher Lee as Saruman was a good choice.

Full of emotion, action, drama and fantasy, the film his the mark.

A new standard for cinema, methinks!

PS
    Did anyone else jump when Bilbo shrieks and makes a grab for the ring when talking to Frodo in Rivendell? I did!

Now we have to wait a year for the next one...:lol:

19. ComradeDavo

ComradeDavo Formerly God

I didn't really like the film a great deal but that isn't surprising (i've read the book 3 or 4 times and love it to death)...It left out way too many details though!!

Though I did find it amusing how they added the 'Frodo push Sam into girl bit at Bilbo's party' so it doesn't look like their gay.

And also when my friend said 'head shot!!' in typical unreal tournement stlye when Leogas (spelling?) shot an arrow through the troll's head:lol::lol:

20. andycapp

andycapp Grumpy Old Griper

I will be going to see the movie later this week with my dad and brother so I've been interested to read peoples reactions to the movie on this thread.

I'll admit that I'm a bit of a nazi when it comes to LOTRs because I sincerely doubt that anyone has the ability, or the right to 'improve' on the way Tolkien told the story and so I'm preparing myself to be disapointed with the way the film has been done despite the almost universal approval of those that have seen it.

From what I've heard about the inclusion of Arwen into the story in place of Glorfindel, my cynicism has been stirred. I also don't like what I'm hearing about the portrayal of Gimili's character - seems a bit fascile.

Anyway, all of my comments here are a tad premature - I'll give my judgements on the movie after I've seen it. :rolleyes: :spank: