[BNW] SMAN`s Privy Council - The Monarchs (formerly known as `After the Revolution!`)

Yeah, there are two or three lua files where the Game.GetActivePlayer() method is being used. So it is not by default Multiplayer friendly because that method will return '0' in Single Player and normal Multiplayer as I recall because in normal Multiplayer the Host is Player # 0 and is considered as the "active" player as I recall.. But it would probably work alright in a HotSeat game since as memory serves the player who is taking their turn in a Hotseat game is the player # that is returned by the Game.GetActivePlayer() method.

Multiplayer is such a vexed issue with Civ5 -- even though a mod is "checked" as being MultiPlayer Compatible that really doesn't mean much of anything since most mod-makers forget to uncheck the tick boxes that don't really apply, and MP doesn't really work with mods anyway.

Yeah, there are two or three lua files where the Game.GetActivePlayer() method is being used. So it is not by default Multiplayer friendly because that method will return '0' in Single Player and normal Multiplayer as I recall because in normal Multiplayer the Host is Player # 0 and is considered as the "active" player as I recall.. But it would probably work alright in a HotSeat game since as memory serves the player who is taking their turn in a Hotseat game is the player # that is returned by the Game.GetActivePlayer() method.

Multiplayer is such a vexed issue with Civ5 -- even though a mod is "checked" as being MultiPlayer Compatible that really doesn't mean much of anything since most mod-makers forget to uncheck the tick boxes that don't really apply, and MP doesn't really work with mods anyway.
Well I'm glad to at least know what the issue is. Is there any way to fix this on my own, or should I just have the mode disabled the next time I do multiplayer?

@TheOneCivZealot, - realize it's a been a while, but I'm in the process of updating the mod, and fixing the multiplayer issues is definitely on my list. I've removed the GetActivePlayer method from the mod as @LeeS suggested, and am in the process of reworking code in a such a way that at least Hotseat might work. Will let you know. If there are other ways of multiplaying your are interested in, could you help me test those? I really don't have a way of trying that.

@TheOneCivZealot, - realize it's a been a while, but I'm in the process of updating the mod, and fixing the multiplayer issues is definitely on my list. I've removed the GetActivePlayer method from the mod as @LeeS suggested, and am in the process of reworking code in a such a way that at least Hotseat might work. Will let you know. If there are other ways of multiplaying your are interested in, could you help me test those? I really don't have a way of trying that.
I was using the mod MPPatch (which fixes the unfinished commented-out multiplayer mods tab) to play multiplayer Civ with a friend.

Hotseat? Pitboss? Standard?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with MP at all. But I have removed all of the areas of the code that "assumed" the active player was any one player (player 0 mostly), and constantly updated itself so it was working with the correct player.

I've made a lot of other changes, and have started to test the whole lot. Will take a bit to work though all the things I broke while fixing the first things on my list. Will test out at least some Hotseat activities once the new version is stable.

Hotseat? Pitboss? Standard?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with MP at all. But I have removed all of the areas of the code that "assumed" the active player was any one player (player 0 mostly), and constantly updated itself so it was working with the correct player.

I've made a lot of other changes, and have started to test the whole lot. Will take a bit to work though all the things I broke while fixing the first things on my list. Will test out at least some Hotseat activities once the new version is stable.
It's fully online multiplayer with mods, but I assume that fixing the active player thing will probably fix it.

I'm almost done with the mod, am completing final testing right now. I re-worked the code in every way I could think of to allow for at least the possibility of this working in MP. I'm hoping that you could help me with testing a MP version? I'm willing to make any changes needed to fix any problems you encounter, but it might take a few "hotfixes" to get it right.

Am hoping to publish in the next day or so. The mod is rebranded as part of my "Privy Council" family of mods. This group of mods has the "Lord Mayors" mod in it (published, automated city management), as well as a "The Viceroys" mod (work in progress, looks/acts a lot like the Governors feature in Civ6). This current "AtR" mod is rebranded as "The Monarchs" in case you're having problems finding it.

I'm not sure "The Viceroys" will ever see the light of day. I put hundreds of hours into "The Lord Mayors" and it's only got about 300 subscribers so far. Not sure if I want to put a couple hundred more hours to finish Viceroys if there aren't too many people interested in it. It's pretty heavy UI programming, and those are painful and time-consuming to get working, so I'm not sure if it's worth the trouble.

Version 3 has been published!

Here is a summary of the major changes:

- The mod has been "rebranded" to fit into my "Privy Council" of mods - now being called, "SMAN`s Privy Council - The Monarchs." This family of mods includes my "The Lord Mayors" mod (automated city management), and a half-finished "The Viceroys" mod (which mimics the "Governors" in Civ6). That latter mod may not be completed, as it will require a lot of time, and with Lord Mayors only getting a couple hundred subscribers, it simply may not be worth the effort.

- Added 3 new governments:
--- Poetocracy (Classical Era, Cultural focus)
--- Thalassocracy (Medieval Era, Naval focus)
--- Meritocracy (Modern Era, Production focus)

- AI Civs will now change governments much more often, and more appropriately.

- Fixed a bug that corrupted the government selection menu after Ideologies had been chosen.

- Renamed the "Anarchy" government (the automatically-awarded one at Ancient Era starting games) to "Tribalism" - to eliminate the confusion with the normal game concept of "Anarchy" (when cities aren't producing anything)

- Added a feature that looks at an AI Civ's leader flavors and often will try to select a government that focuses on the highest flavor for that leader.

- Made many changes to the code, in an attempt to allow the mod to perform better when used in a multiplayer environment. Not sure how well this works, but hopefully if anyone attempts it, they can provide feedback to let me know if any more changes are need to get the mod working for MP. Expect a few hotfixes in the next couple of weeks...

- Cleaned up the code so it now better handles the situation when an AI Civ loses its capital (and therefore its "government wonder")

- Added a “standard” govs for each Era, and changed the AI change government code to award those to a Civ whose government is really, really old - even if that Civ might not be eligible to select that government originally.

--- This is one of the main reasons AI Civs didn't change governments very often: they simply weren't any valid governments available to them.

--- Standard Governments: Ancient (Tribalism), Classical (Empire), Medieval (Monarchy), Renaissance (Monarchy), Industrialism (Constitutional Monarchy), Modern (Republic), Atomic (Corporate Republic), Information (Technocracy)

- Fixed the error that allows the "change government" popup to appear when you open the main "World Governments" popup, if you pressed ESCAPE to exit the popup previously.

- Added a variable "minimum government age" based on game speed. For quick games, it is now 15 turns before you can change governments. In Standard games is it still 20 turns, in Epic games 25 turns, and in Marathon games 30 turns. You will see a notification (Green Crown) at the start of every game/load saved game that lets you know how many turns the "minimum government age" is for that particular game.

- When an AI Civ is in the latter game Eras (Atomic/Information/later if added by other mods), adjusts the process used to help determine which governments will be selected and changed.

- Added more information in the "hovering" tooltip, when you hover the mouse over the leader icon in the upper panel of the "World Governments" popup.

- Added a Red Crown notification that informs human players when their government is still undergoing anarchy after changing. The notification appears every turn while still in anarchy.

- If a human player has sufficient "Discernment" of an AI Civ (basically, if they have an embassy with that Civ or higher) then if the AI Civ is undergoing anarchy for any reason (usually after a government change), the "raised red fist" font icon will appear in the upper panel "hovering" tool tip and in the lower panel in the "Government Age" entry.

- Changed the cost of government change to make it more random - this might change again in the future if it's too expensive to actually change government. Keep in mind that in about 75% of the time, the AI ignores the cost of changing.

- Fixed a bug that made all Civs way the "minimum government age" number of turns in games that started after the Ancient Era. Civs may now change government much more quickly in those later starting games.

- Fixed a bug that accommodates when other mods change the names of the game's Ideologies.

- Added a function that accounts for mods that add extra Ideologies. Basically, if there's a new Ideology added, the mod will not prevent any government from being allowed for a Civ that has these non-standard ideologies. They will be able to build just about all the possible government types. It's generous, I know, but it's better than preventing access to any governments.

- Added 2 buttons to the bottom-right of the popup - allowing players to turn off all notifications and to also enable/disable "verbose" logging (a feature that can make troubleshooting problems much easier).

- Cut anarchy duration for AI Civs in half when they change governments.

- Fixed when the "can change government" green icon pops up, so that it actually appears on the turn you can change governments, and not on the turn before.

- Fixed the broken "unknown government" icon

- Fixed several test keys and tooltips so they better explain what is occurring in the mod

Thanks to everyone who helped me get the mod working better!

Last edited:
BTW - Just found out that opening the Civilopedia for National Governments under GameConcepts/Diplomacy causes a CTD. Will fix that when I get a bit more feedback from the most recent version.

Hey, im giving you what you asked on the steam forum, ive play 60turn til change 2era (i dont understand what is 'government change' since im not english i only know 'governement' from civ 6) also the background change after the third era, game clean and cache eptyed before tryed.
It's for the Lord mayor bug , have a nice day !

Attachments

• 1xml.txt
    2.8 KB · Views: 60
  • 1Database.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 1Lua.txt
    25.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    1.3 MB · Views: 71
Here it is, i cannot open the pannel anymore after turn 10 only this mod enabled , cache and log cleared before starting the game (1v1map speed)

Attachments

• 1Database.txt
    5.6 KB · Views: 50
  • 1xml.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 1Lua.txt
    22.2 KB · Views: 55
Hello everyone! I posted an update of this mod. Here is a summary of the changes (V3, Hotfix 1):

- Changed the random “change cost” into a “predictable random cost” – one where the random number is the same for every turn, so the human player won’t constantly go into the UI and fish around for a lower cost

- AI Change Gov - deduct gold - now actually deducts gold from AI civs when they change gov

- Fixed a Civilopedia error that caused crashes. The main Civilopedia entry text key was too large (somewhere in the neighborhood of 18k characters)

- Moved Civilopedia entry into the "World Congress" game concepts area, away from "Diplomacy"

- Fixed the 512x512 brand pic footnote: from "Formally" to "Formerly"

- Set “enable logging” to OFF as default

- Added an icon to the Gerousia (Oligarchy) governmental wonder

- Corrected the background color of Thalassocracy, to reflect it is Medieval government (gold bg), not a Renaissance (blue bg) one.

- The "Change Government" button will not enable if the human player only has 1 government available. No need to pop up the "select government" button, if the only valid 1 is the same as the player already has

- For loaded saved games, the intro/green welcome notification will only shows once now, even for reloaded save games

- Reworked icon files; made promotions more/brighter yellow

Top Bottom