After years of playing, what new things have you found in Civ 4?

Just found out (or at least, confirmed) today that foreign cities can only trade with 1 of your own cities :(........ well, that's another "to-do" on the modding goals :D

oooh....

Suppose you already have the appropriate national wonders? Is this a theoretical way of getting multiples?

If you don't already have the national wonder, it survives in the captured city and you can no longer build it somewhere else. If you have already built a national wonder elsewhere, it disappears from the captured city. In short: "Only one to a customer!" ;)

I just found out that if you trade away all your resources, you lose the resource. I have been playing for many years and I have no idea how I did not know that :lol: I never tried it :p

Does anyone know whether buildings required for world wonders always stay when city changes hands?
No, they disappear (if they are culture buildings).
Say you capture the Great Library, there won't be a library in the city when you take it. I just tested this case and confirmed.

If you don't already have the national wonder, it survives in the captured city and you can no longer build it somewhere else. If you have already built a national wonder elsewhere, it disappears from the captured city. In short: "Only one to a customer!" ;)
Cool, thanks for that.

I just found out that if you trade away all your resources, you lose the resource. I have been playing for many years and I have no idea how I did not know that :lol: I never tried it :p
[nods] which means that if you trade away uranium to AIs that can't use it, you can build privateers, then cancel a trade and upgrade them to destroyers - getting a free sentry promotion for them.

[nods] which means that if you trade away uranium to AIs that can't use it, you can build privateers, then cancel a trade and upgrade them to destroyers - getting a free sentry promotion for them.

Very tricky :lol: Little things that are just so funny :p

Cool, thanks for that.

As long as Mansa Musa is not in the game at (or near) that tech region..... :lol:

Learned today that during a Golden Age Nationhood allows you to draft 4 units per turn instead of the normal 3. Truly happy I discovered that!

Thats a great discovery if true.
Are you sure you weren't playing a large map? :mischief:

As a matter of fact I am playing a large map. Didn't think it changed things. I checked golden age info under game concepts in the civilopedea, and it Cleary states 3 draft. Nothing about changes due to map size or even golden ages. I'll be back home shortly, I'll boot up the comp and check what happens out of GA with nationhood.

Well damn. Rechecked my game. Large map and yes out of GA I do have 4 draft with nationhood. I double checked the civilopedia and it states 3 draft. Never seen any documentation that draft count changes with map size. So I guess I still have learned something today. Map size apparently effects the draft. Does this mean huge maps give 5 draft, or tiny maps give 1 draft? I usually play standard maps, and have become accustomed to 3 draft.

Try a duel map. You you will find that only one unit per turn can be drafted.

I believe that the number of units that can be drafted are based on map size as follows:

Large, Huge: 4
Standard: 3
Tiny, Small: 2
Duel: 1

I'm not sure about Tiny, Small and Huge. Could be off by one.

孫子武

Civilopedia info is targeted at normal game speed and map size. For most things it does not matter but for anything requiring numbers (how many temples for a cathedral, how many turns for legendary city, how many drafts per turn, etc) it does not give the correct amount for anything larger or slower than normal.

Tip: Mass drafting in a golden age on larger maps can be a good plan when one doesn't normally use the nationhood civic. Just start a GA, adopt nationhood, draft the limit each turn of the GA and at the end of last turn of the GA, switch back to the preferred labor civic (bureaucracy/free speech). Just prepare for the massive drafting unhappiness. It is best done with beelined rifling and riflemen.

孫子武

Try a duel map. You you will find that only one unit per turn can be drafted.

I believe that the number of units that can be drafted are based on map size as follows:

Large, Huge: 4
Standard: 3
Tiny, Small: 2
Duel: 1

I'm not sure about Tiny, Small and Huge. Could be off by one.

孫子武

Huge is 5.

I just realized that

Gunpowder Units cannot be promoted with Shock. Does that mean Praets can still be useful vs early Renaissance AI without mounted units? Also, will this change your view on Janissaries?

Archery and Melee Units cannot be promoted with Pinch. This means bad news when defending against a more advanced AI while you are stuck with medieval units.

Of course, Mounted Units does not have Cover promotion. Allowing it will otherwise be OP

Just found out (30 seconds ago)

Try hold control and use mousewheel when you've selected your SoD.

what happens ? Sorry I have my mobo broken - that's why am such a cynic ;) Serioulsy - what doest it do ?

what happens ? Sorry I have my mobo broken - that's why am such a cynic ;) Serioulsy - what doest it do ?

It cycles through your units,this is weird because I only found this out yesterday myself.I also found out that national wonders can be destroyed by nukes when I lost my national epic yesterday in the "is this winnable" game on Strategy and tips atm.

Top Bottom