"Afterlife is a fairytale", Hawking says.

Do you believe in afterlife

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't call it offensive as much as deluded.

I pity these people, and the rude awakening they will experience on Judgment Day.
Yeah, "deluded" is more accurate.

I wouldn't call it offensive as much as deluded.

I pity these people, and the rude awakening they will experience on Judgment Day.

You as well, heretic. That is not any less of a sin than apostasy.

"Smart person says you're wrong, so you're wrong. Hahaha!"

I hate this. I don't believe in an afterlife, but it's really annoying.

And, by the way, while Hawking is a very influencial cosmologist, his overall scientific impact or general smart-ness is regularly exaggerated in popular culture. If he was really that smart, he would shut up about these things, especially considering the field he's working at.

I believe he said it in an interview where readers could send in questions of their own which would be asked to Hawkins. Though I'm not quite sure if it was this interview.

Well, I have seen Christ make visible changes in my life, so I'm pretty sure I'm saved, even still;)

What makes you sure that it is not Satan in disguise? :confused:

So you support calling Africans the N-word? After all, them being offended is their problem. Same with homosexual slurs, and so on. In fact, I guess I can call you an expletive and it would be fine. After all, to quote a famous philosopher, "you being offended is your problem".

You truly equate Stephen Hawking's answer to an interview question about his personal faith and his thoughts about an afterlife with deliberate racial slurs, homophobic attacks, and personal name-calling? For real? :lol:

Frankly, you'll need to bring more to the table. I'm sure you're a fairly intelligent kid, so let's see you come up with something more constructive and worthy of discussion. Blatant and unsuccessful attempts to start arguments aren't going to cut it.

Hawking should learn to shut his mouth or quit being offensive.

Religious people who go on TV to talk about their faith should learn to shut their mouths or quit being offensive. I am personally highly offended by their insinuation that the rest of us are less perfect than they are just because we don't share their beliefs and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who feels that way.

See what I did there? Your line of reasoning gets to cut both ways. The freedom of speech protects everyone, not just those who agree with your worldview, get over it.

Religious people who go on TV to talk about their faith should learn to shut their mouths or quit being offensive. I am personally highly offended by their insinuation that the rest of us are less perfect than they are just because we don't share their beliefs and I'm sure I'm not the only one on here who feels that way.

See what I did there? Your line of reasoning gets to cut both ways. The freedom of speech protects everyone, not just those who agree with your worldview, get over it.

I don't think CivGeneral was denying that (That Stephen Hawking has free speech to say these things). But CivGeneral's right to criticize what he says is also protected under free speech.

Telling an atheist s/he is going to hell is as about as offensive at it gets. Even if an atheist doesn't believe it, it is still a genuine threat on the part of the speaker.

Telling an atheist s/he is going to hell is as about as offensive at it gets.

"He who believes is not condemned, but he who does not believed is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."

I am sorry, but the truth is the truth. It would do you well to accept it.

Even if an atheist doesn't believe it, it is still a genuine threat on the part of the speaker.

Actually, that's GOD threatening people, not man. And God is perfect, and so man deserves nothing but eternal Hell because he is a sinner.

^ Just words in a book. No evidence at all for it. No Judeo-Christian God, no afterlife, nothing. It would do you well to accept it.

Hawking is right of course.

There is zero evidence for an afterlife, let alone a Judeo-Christian one. All that there is a book, an old book written by people who plagiarized old Mesopotamian and Egyptian tales to try to control a different group of people.

Hawking is right of course.

There is zero evidence for an afterlife, let alone a Judeo-Christian one. All that there is a book, an old book written by people who plagiarized old Mesopotamian and Egyptian tales to try to control a different group of people.

This is very off the ball. I don't even know where to begin.

First of all, its wrong.

I don't think CivGeneral was denying that (That Stephen Hawking has free speech to say these things). But CivGeneral's right to criticize what he says is also protected under free speech.

But CivGeneral wasn't just criticizing what he said, he (or she, hell if I know) was saying that Hawking should "shut his mouth" or "learn to not be offensive" (aka not state his real beliefs). Criticism of what he actually said is of course valid, but CivGeneral's post was saying that he shouldn't even say them in the first place.

Obviously Stephen Hawking does not need the approval of any forum members to validate the view that he is very intelligent.
Even more obviously he is a physicist, not a theologian or philosopher. In these fields he remains a layman.
The question of an afterlife goes way beyond the mere trivialities which seem to most probably/almost certainly belong to the realm of a fairytale. Some people have actually pondered it to a great extent (Dostoevsky being a known name here), and they did not reach any final conclusion.
That most people are incapable of discussing this matter in any serious way is only evidence to the fact that most people's view on the subject is virtually irrelevant. "Seek and ye shall find" works in this case, and as an agnostic (but leaning towards the view that there is an afterlife of some sort) i can use it with no problem at all :)

"He who believes is not condemned, but he who does not believed is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son."

I am sorry, but the truth is the truth. It would do you well to accept it.

Actually, that's GOD threatening people, not man. And God is perfect, and so man deserves nothing but eternal Hell because he is a sinner.

Dom, youre better than this. You are being insulting, bigoted and a troll.

You truly equate Stephen Hawking's answer to an interview question about his personal faith and his thoughts about an afterlife with deliberate racial slurs, homophobic attacks, and personal name-calling? For real? :lol:
I'm going off of what you said. Or are you denying that you posted:

you being offended is your problem

It would do you well to accept it.

This is hilarious :lol: You failed to recognize the point of my post. Your unfounded belief is not more important than Stephen Hawking's. And to call his statement of belief offensive is hypocritical, as your post shows it is a two way street. How do you not see the connection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom