1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Aftermath of the militia takeover of Malheur National Wildlife Refuge headquarters

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cheetah, Mar 12, 2016.

1. Senethro

Senethro Overlord

Uhhhhh, I think you copy and pasted the wrong video. Be glad it wasn't women sitting on birthday cakes or something.

2. Nexlev

Nexlev Chieftain

I fixed the link, thanks for the heads up

3. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

Looks like that video vindicates the government if you ask me. I watched the whole thing and I didn't see a single thing those LEOs did wrong.

4. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

As much as it pains me, I have to agree. Shouting threats and not keeping your hands in plain view is going to get you killed, period, and even I can't argue that case.

5. Nexlev

Nexlev Chieftain

There are two separate issues. One is the appropriate use of force and I lean towards your position on that.

The other is the obstruction of justice by LEO's on the scene, who lied to the Department of Justice about whom fired shots, and when.

6. Commodore

Commodore Technology of Peace

Did they really lie though? I've been in firefights and they get pretty chaotic which makes it really hard to give an accurate account of what exactly happened. So while the story the LEOs gave may not have been accurate, it doesn't necessarily mean they were being willfully dishonest.

7. Nexlev

Nexlev Chieftain

The official story was that all shots were fired by state police. It has since been uncovered that two shots were fired by FBI agents. There were also bullet holes in the roof of LaVoy's truck, and the video seems to show a bullet piercing the roof and exiting through the drivers side window.

I can understand an imperfect recollection of how many shots were fired, but agents of the FBI should be able to recall if they fired shots or not.

Here is an article from OPB with more detail
    http://www.opb.org/news/series/burn...s/lavoy-finicum-shooting-death-investigation/

In any case, I'm not trying to state a resolution on this case, but there is an ongoing investigation that is newsworthy.

8. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Another drone in the hive mind

The only thing I would call a lie is if someone claims they didn't fire and they actually did. If someone asked "who fired first?" my answer would be "it wasn't me, and if you are asking me for more information than that you are an idiot.

9. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

Yeah what a cover up with Videos and Drone footage and investigation and Hours of press briefing and testimonies.

How many Police shootings of unarmed black people are called "assassinations" by Republicans ? How many Republicans feel the shootings are justified ?

10. Nexlev

Nexlev Chieftain

I don't know the answer to those questions, probably very few. Assassination was a poor choice of words, I was riled up when I wrote that.

11. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

12. kramerfan86

kramerfan86 Chieftain

How in the world did the jury justify finding them not guilty?

13. FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire Codex WMDicanious

It Oregan ?

14. Bootstoots

Bootstoots Warlord Super Moderator

Interesting outcome - I did not expect that. I wonder if we'll see any more occupations of any rather more substantial federal property, especially in the aftermath of Trump's loss, and find out what exactly it takes to be convicted of federal conspiracy and firearms charges if not an armed takeover of government property.

15. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

...what do you mean they're not guilty of having firearms on federal property

This is a very dangerous precedent. Just wait; there will be more of these after the election if Trump loses.

Lexicus likes this.
  16. Evie

Evie Pronounced like Eevee

Honestly, it seems to me that low-level judges and juries (aka often the least qualified judges) have far too much power in American criminal justice to just do whatever they want without any regards for what the law actually says, thanks to the ludicrous interpretation of double jeopardy the US has in place.

17. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

It's literally insane. Those morons on the jury probably just sealed the deal on a repeat of Oklahoma City.

18. BvBPL

BvBPL Pour Decision Maker

It’s a shame that no action relating to reforming mandatory minimums came out of this whole thing.

No, there wouldn't be.

19. tetley

tetley Head tea leaf

Looks like another darned-if-you-do, danged-if-you-don't position for the feds. If you crack down on them, that makes you the evil, oppressive Federal government. But if you don't, you encourage armed insurrection from deplorables who don't want to respect the democracy. I would actually say to give them what they want, if they weren't the minority. If the majority don't want democracy, go right ahead. You can be Red China. I won't be there to sink the ship with you.

Me, I scrutinize each individual situation and make up my mind case-by-case, but I know *I'm* the minority on that one.

20. Phrossack

Phrossack Armored Fish and Armored Men

Why not? We have a large portion of the electorate vowing violence if they lose, and they tend to be heavily armed. Are you certain everything will be just fine, or are you just saying that because that's what you want to believe? You tend to use a lot of wishful thinking.