AG5 - Honorable Space Race

Aggie

Deity
In this variant we follow the RBCiv honorable rules. Our goal will be a Space Race win. I was first thinking about demigod or deity level, but the terrible outcome of AG2 made me rethink. Emperor or demigod is the level I want to play now.

VARIANT RULES: We must be honourable all the time. This has some serious implications:

-when you declare war, you may only fight within your borders or those of your ally
-When the other civ is the aggressor, then you are allowed to take necessary steps and invade them
-no razing cities, starving or abandoning cities

The complete list can be found here:

RBCiv Honorable Rules

GAME RULES:
Standard map size
AI Aggression: normal
Opponents: random
Rules: Standard, all standard single player victories enabled
Barbarians: Roaming

ROSTER updated March 20th, 19.50h:
Aggie
Microbe
Melifluous
Barbslinger
CarlosMM
open spot

I will start with 25 turns. Next up can take 15/20 turns, and the next leader 10-15, then 10 each turn after that.

When you're up, 24hrs to post a "got it" notice, and up to 48hrs after that to finish and post your turns.

If you are interested to play, please also state your prefeences on:
-Tribe
-Map shape
-Level

My thoughts about that are:
-England, I've never played them since they have been improved in C3C
-Continents
-Demigod

-Tribe

I'd prefer a scientific tribe, and NOT militaristic or religious. Anything else is OK (with a slight preference to commercial as I never played this trait and it may be good for space race?).

-Map shape

Large or standard.

-Level

Emperor (pangea or continent) or demigod (continent or archipelago).

EDIT: Just notice you mentioned England, it's OK for me (at least it's Commercial, and Seafaring is a grea trait too), and demigod/continent sounds great.

Aggie, unless you have a poorer start or limited land, I think emporer is too easy to be a challenge. I am playing in Cor1 which is a purely peaceful game at emporer. It might give an idea of what to expect with a good start at emporer; we are running away with it.

My suggestion is if you want a challenging game then choose demigod, but give yourselve some room by choosing 60% water.

If you want an easier game then choose emporer with no food bonuses within your capitol radius.

Actually, the placement of the AI matters even more than the start, but it is almost impossible to predict this. Maybe have somone not playing open the save to guarantee you aren't on a tiny peninsula that will be blocked by the AI.

----

One other interesting thing we discovering in our game: Getting cultural conversions is much more difficult now with the AI getting culture faster, so it is very hard to grow. Don't be suprised if no cities flip in your direction.

Greebly, thanks for the input. It's true that emperor is a lot easier than deity. It's good to have the demigod level now.

Regarding the AI's start: that's a good one, I may ask one of my fellow PBEM-players to make a good map.

Haven't had a good spacerace in months. I just won a Demigod diplo and was thinking that I should have went space but lost the last save.

I like Korea and demigod. Other considerations are important but I will go with group.

Originally posted by Aggie
Barbslinger, you are very welcome. But note that honorable rules on demigod makes it more difficult than a standard game.
Thank you Aggie. On the honorable rules I want to state I always play mostly honorable in even my personal games excepting the starving and whipping. I don't see a problem with whipping cities in despotism though. I see a whipping loophole where you add workers to keep whipping. We're not allowed to whip a unit if need be?

Originally posted by barbslinger

Thank you Aggie. On the honorable rules I want to state I always play mostly honorable in even my personal games excepting the starving and whipping. I don't see a problem with whipping cities in despotism though. I see a whipping loophole where you add workers to keep whipping. We're not allowed to whip a unit if need be?

Oops. I guess I made a mistake here. This is NOT in the honorable rules. Sorry for this wrong example.

Originally posted by microbe
Korea sounds cool, but Seafaring is probably the best trait for continent/archipelago. So I don't have a preference either way..

I just find out that "suicide galley" is not honourable?

Wow, that makes me think twice about the traits..

Does it mean we probably won't make contact with the other continent until Navigation?

I vote for pangea. Must have contacts IMO or we will fall behind in tech. If we end up on a small continent with one other AI we will fall so far behind there will be no catching up. We are not allowed to steal tech, I don't understand this one because the AI does it.

"Using spies to steal anything, sabotage production, or initiate propaganda is dastardly."

So if we have no contacts it will be very tough to pull up to parity if we only know 1-2 civs.

Good to see that you two picked a few issues that make it more difficult for us :)

I think that on a 60% water continents map we will not have to fear for an isolation. The problem with a pangaea map is that the AI can make contact soon themselves and be very fast in tech research because of that.

The problem with a pangaea map is that the AI can make contact soon themselves and be very fast in tech research because of that.
True indeed! If pangaea, our diplomatic trading skills will have to at their sharpest. I update my vote to NOT Archipelego.

BTW Aggie, I enjoyed your pictures on your site.

OK! I will start the game with Korea as the civ and a standard continents map.

Sorry its a bit late. Just got to work here.

Korea and Continents sound good especially now they gave the H'wacha lethal land and sea bombard :D

Melifluous

Top Bottom