Age Of Coal & Iron

HandyVac

Gentleman
The shire where the oxen cross the river. UK.
A partial tech tree replacement inspired by classic victorian sci-fi, such as the works of Jules Verne and H.G.Wells.

This mod replaces the industrial era onwards with the Steam and Gaslamp Eras, an alternate history of steam-powered tanks, ironclad naval vessels, mechanical calculating engines and cannons firing men to the moon.

Features:
- 17 new techs inspired by historical 18th and 19th century inventions.
- 19 new units to fight on land air and sea. (including 4 replacement unique units and 1 new Great Person)
- 10 new buildings to bring your cities into the gaslamp era.
- 3 new World Wonders and 1 new National Wonder.

Miscellanious Changes:
- Oil, Aluminium and Uranium are all disabled in this mod, so Civs with traits that gave a bonus to any of these instead get a bonus to the Coal or Iron resources.
- Coal and Iron are more strategically important than in the vanilla game, since they are now required for many late-game units and buildings.
- The science victory now consists of building a Space Cannon to launch a manned capsule to the moon.
- Unique Units specific to the modern or later eras have been replaced: Germany now gets the Zeppelin airship, America the Wright Bomber, Japan the Steam Mecha and Brazil the Riachuelo battleship.
- Archaeologists replaced by Great Explorers, who can culture-bomb as well as doing archaeology.

Credits:
Lord Tirian (for Protected Cruiser model used for Brazil's Riachelo UU)

Other unit models come from the Smoky Skies, Scramble For Africa and American Civil War scenarios included in the game.

Compatability:
Requires both Gods & Kings and Brave New World.

Screenshots:

DOWNLOAD FROM CIVFANATICS
DOWNLOAD FROM STEAM

Well done! Looks very intriguing, will try it the moment I can.

Awesome! This should be fun to play a game or two with :)

New version uploaded, same download links in OP.

Coal & Iron is now compatable with Gazebo's City-State Diplomacy mod, with prerequisites for various diplomatic buildings/units/world congress projects tweaked to fit into Coal & Iron's tech tree when both are run together.

Note that you'll get Coal & Iron's regular-buildable Crystal Palace wonder instead of CSD's world's-fair-buildable one. This game ain't big enough for two crystal palaces... especially when they happen to use exactly the same names for Type and Class. :mischief:

Hey there, if you're still around - would it be possible to make this compatible with the Enlightenment Era Mod? It'd be great fun to have this alongside EE!

The Enlightenment Era is pretty fun, tempted me back into playing CivV in fact, and to updating this mod.

Thanks to a big wadge of SQL (and a handy tutorial by whoward69) this is now compatable with both the Enligtenment Era and Prehistoric Era Reloaded!
(though not both at the same time, unless their various authors make them compatable with each other)

I'm also working on a seperate add-on mod to let the Gaslamp era continue on into the modern era, rather than ending the game.

New Version uploaded (v30). Same download links in OP.

Great Explorers are no longer consumed when performing archaeology (but are still consumed when culture bombing). And the archaeology popup now calls them by name.
Spoiler :

Added a new Joint Polar Expedition project to the World Congress. Rewards are:
- bronze: Golden Age points
- silver: A free Great Explorer
- gold: Get the Pitt Rivers Museum in your capital. Has four artefact slots and comes with a free artefact.
Spoiler :

Better support for UUs added by other mods (through a bunch of SQL triggers). UUs from any and all mod civs should now properly upgrade into Steam/Gaslamp units, and Industrial Era UUs should get moved to a Steam/Gaslamp Era tech where appropriate.

Hi HandyVac I love your mod however im running into a bug. Around the time I start a religion My city begins to pump out Great Explorers in the early game. Sometime I can even start out with 20,000,000/300 and start ramping from there causing my empire and all the AI empires to be flooded with Great Explorers.Any help is appreciated. Ty

Top Bottom