Age of Discovery II issues

Wheldrake

Warlord
I'm really enjoying this mod, but there are a few odd "features" I've wondered if anyone else has noticed or has solutions to.

1) From time to time, enemy missions in native villages will generate a converted native unit for *me*. This can't be right!

2) Often I find the pirates either set up their colony right next to my cities, or else their pirate ships will simply camp offshore from my cities, killing my ships indiscrimnately. If I get lucky and they go bother someone else, I can survive long enough to get a privateer or two to hunt them down, but often it means the end of the game for me. I like the pirate concept, but in actual play, it's murder!

And a question: how does this mod compare to the unofficial patch mod?

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

1) From time to time, enemy missions in native villages will generate a converted native unit for *me*. This can't be right!
Observed the same behaviour. However, I didn't upgrade to the latest version, and I thought that was the reason.

2) Often I find the pirates either set up their colony right next to my cities, or else their pirate ships will simply camp offshore from my cities, killing my ships indiscrimnately. If I get lucky and they go bother someone else, I can survive long enough to get a privateer or two to hunt them down, but often it means the end of the game for me. I like the pirate concept, but in actual play, it's murder!
I played 3 games with AOD. In 2 of them, the pirates lost in the very first turns. What happened ?
In one of them, the pirates settled next to me, and yes, that was painful, but since I don't find the game very challenging in its original form, I liked the feature. I got luckier than you : they sank my caravel, but lost one of their ships to my galleon. Since their presence was unbearable, I simply razed their settlements with a couple of cannons, and if if I remember correctly, I had to sink another ship later with a combat II privateer I had trained on the European front.

1. The latest version does not have this bug.
2. I am still working on the basis of the pirate concept. It doesn't seem finished at all, because it literally isn't finished. :)

As for comparison to the unofficial patch, AoD2 contains it. :)

Thanks, I'll return to re-DL it.You've done a great job giving Civ4Col a more authentic feel. I like the fact that the indian converts can't be re-educated in their own vilages, though I do miss the Col1 founding father who changed them all into regular citizens. With this mod, we have the best of both worlds (col1 and civ4col).

I do wish there were more turns to play with before being forced into the WoI. It feels less satisfying to have only a half-dozen built-up colonies, when in Col1 I usually had 12-20.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Oh, one more thing: where can we get "the latest version"?? in the dwnloads section, I only see the sept29 file.
Ah, found it on the Apolyton site.

On the turn limit thing, in the latest version the game ends 100 turns (for normal scaled for the other speeds) after the first player has the DoI. So on a normal speed game you could go the full 300 turns before someone has the DoI then a further 100 turns. :)

Again, I'm really liking this modpack. But the pirates seem to be present only in a few scenarios. I like them, and I hate them. It's a cool concept, but when they pick on you in the very early game, there's really nothing you can do.

Thanks for the good work, Dale!
Also, which is more advanced? Age of Discovery II or the unofficial patch mod?

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

It seem there is another problem with the mod (really a problem ?). I've seen it with americo's mod who use AOD :

Some natives locations are wrong : for example, the incas are on the north of america ...

Is it possible to correct these starting locations ?

I think this issue is corrected by using one of the maps/scenarios specially designed for use with the mod, like "Ozzy's Americas [AODII]".

So far everything seems to be in the right place, and the AI nations are much better developed than in a vanilla game. If I don't amass a dozen or so dragoons, I haven't a chance of taking them out.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Ok, thank :)

In fact, I would like to use Americo's mod, because the map is very very great :).
I'll try the Ozzy' map.

I really love this mod, but I have a consistent problem: whenever I try to clear a colonist's specialty, the game crashes. Has anyone else experienced this?

I have seen the game crash randomly about once per 10-20 hours of play. That's not at all bad, and at worst, with the autosaves, you lose a year or two.

I have found, though, that unless I play the French, I get attacked by indians before I have the cash to built enough defenders to hold them off. Not really a mod-specific issue, but a real problem. The cost for buying land is waaaay down from the vanilla version, which is a very good thing. In vanilla Civ4Col, the costs for buying land are so huge I can rarely manage it.

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

Hi Dale,

I know you probably get a lot of requests like these, but is it possible to make a standalone version with just the new victory conditions? (Or alternatively tell me which files from AoD2 I should replace the originals with, or what parts I should edit. I'm also running the PatchMod if that changes anything.)

Hi Dale,

I know you probably get a lot of requests like these, but is it possible to make a standalone version with just the new victory conditions? (Or alternatively tell me which files from AoD2 I should replace the originals with, or what parts I should edit. I'm also running the PatchMod if that changes anything.)

The victory conditions utilise actual code changes too (not just xml changes). So I'd have to add them to PatchMod. I will get around to that one day soon as I know it was always Snoopy's intention to have more victory conditions. :)

I've been playing build 3 of AoD2, and it's looking very good. My only problem is that guns are so danged expensive that I can't equip my colony defenders in time to stave off the inevitable indian attacks. Next game I will have to put an even higher priority on building my own guns and cannons.

Either that, or build a lot fewer colonies. <g>

Cheers, --- Wheldrake

I really love this mod, but I have a consistent problem: whenever I try to clear a colonist's specialty, the game crashes. Has anyone else experienced this?

It seems to happen only if you clear the colonist's specialty while inside the colony screen. If you go back out to the main map and clear it there, it works just fine. It's a little bit of a hassle but... what can I say?

That will be fixed in the next version as Koma fixes the issue in his Europe screen mod. :)

Hi Dale!! I really like this mode since it helped me survive the first wave of disappointment playing the game...It became quite enjoyable with your MOD, and I like your add-ons also, especially the pirates, but are they playable enough or reserved just for the AI? What is their main goal without the crosses, bells, taxes, trade, independance? I can't loot all over the game and win it the same time. Maybe they should resemble a bit more to the European nations profile...
For me a pirate colony keeps producing pirates every second turn without actually buliding them. Is it intended to happen this way? Sorry for this many questions but I'd really want to play with the pirates, still I don't know how to manage them.

Pirates are still very much in development. The next version should see major changes to Pirates. :)

Top Bottom