Age of Discovery

tchristensen

Emperor
Age of Discovery

DOWNLOAD #1: http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/90780/age-of-discovery

The Age of Discovery, also known as the Age of Exploration, was a period in history starting in the early 14th century and continuing into the early 18th century during which Europeans engaged in intensive exploration of the world, establishing direct contacts with Africa and the Americas -- mapping the planet. Historians often refer to the 'Age of Discovery’ as the pioneer Portuguese and Spanish long-distance maritime travels in search of alternative trade routes to "the Indies", moved by the trade of gold, silver and spices.

Civilizations: Aztec, Dutch, English, French, Incan, Mayan, Native American, Portuguese, Spanish, and Zulu.

Paths: Several new transit systems have been added including the Path and the Sealane.

Technology: A whole new technology tree exists in Age of Discovery. Technologies are limited to approximately 1300 to 1800 Common Era. Also, each civilization has its own unique technologies as well as being prohibited from learning others.

Units:
All new units for the civilizations. Unique models used where possible.

NEED HELP: I have an annoying crash in the game that I cannot figure out. Strangely, it does not seem to be tied to a particular culture, bonus resource, technology, or even unit. When the crash occurs, a simple restart often fixes the problem and hundreds of turns can go by before it happens again. It does not appear to be any more prevalent on mutliplayer games as single player games.

If anyone finds something that may be the cause, I would be indebted to you to post your comments.

AOD still needs development on a number of fronts, but I thought I would show the community what I got done and get some feedback.

Thanks

Actually I had that mod done for a long time, but with its sporadic crashing I wasn't going to release it. A friend of mine said I should to perhaps get new perspectives on it -- so I thought, I would and see if anyone else can spot the problem with the mod.

It still needs work, but it is an interesting start.

Yay first post! well...almost.
I am DLing it right now. Should be interesting. ExtremeMod was great, this should also be good.

always wanted this mod in civ 4, glad its finally happening

Nice mod :).....

The "Hidden Nationality"-Promotion does not work. None of the units (Corsair, Pirate etc.) has it.....:rolleyes:

Nice mod :).....

The "Hidden Nationality"-Promotion does not work. None of the units (Corsair, Pirate etc.) has it.....:rolleyes:

Very interesting. I am unaware of the Promotion, which isn't a complete surprise because I tend not to remember things like that. I don't remember creating a Hidden Nationality Promotion, so it must be a stock Promotion in the game. There are controls for units that automatically include a Hidden Nationality, which these should have -- so that could be the problem.

I will take a look at it and see if I can figure it out.

Good to hear that you are still working on Extreme2.

JosEPh

I like the mod very much but I couldn't find a 'classic' 1492 new world scenario with America as the target destination - are you planning something like that? Maybe it's been done too much already.

I like the mod very much but I couldn't find a 'classic' 1492 new world scenario with America as the target destination - are you planning something like that? Maybe it's been done too much already.

A Map is in the works. I hope to have it ready soon, but trying to work out some bugs in the game.

Seems an awesome idea :goodjob:

Don't forget about the south American tribes: Tupi Guarani
Also the African ones and the Polynesians.

I am very close to just recreating the whole mod, with a ton of new civs. I have some errors dogging me, but also I left out so many other interesting civilizations. I agree I should include a number of African, Polynesians, and South American empires -- Even thought of China and Japan because if things were a bit different historically, both civilizations could have easily reached the New World.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I am very close to just recreating the whole mod, with a ton of new civs. I have some errors dogging me, but also I left out so many other interesting civilizations. I agree I should include a number of African, Polynesians, and South American empires -- Even thought of China and Japan because if things were a bit different historically, both civilizations could have easily reached the New World.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Heck, have you ever played Age of Empires III: The Asian Dynasties? That game had a whole campaign about the Chinese discovering the New World.

Sounds very fascinating. I read about early Chinese explorations that would make CC's exploration seem like a trio of row boats.

Just think of how things were different if the Chinese had landed and colonized the Pacific rim; or that early Vikings exploring the Atlantic border slowly introduced the viral diseases of Europe -- the world would be different today.

Top Bottom