Age of Mythology unit: The Hydra

TheMorpheus

Welcome to the real world
The Hydra which lived in the swamps near to the ancient city of Lerna in Argolis, was a terrifying monster which like the Nemean lion was the offspring of Echidna (half maiden - half serpent), and Typhon (had 100 heads), other versions think that the Hydra was the offspring of Styx and the Titan Pallas. The Hydra had the body of a serpent and many heads (the number of heads deviates from five up to one hundred there are many versions but generally nine is accepted as standard), of which one could never be harmed by any weapon, and if any of the other heads were severed another would grow in its place (in some versions two would grow). Also the stench from the Hydra's breath was enough to kill man or beast (in other versions it was a deadly venom). When it emerged from the swamp it would attack herds of cattle and local villagers, devouring them with its numerous heads. It totally terrorized the vicinity for many years.
Heracles journeyed to Lake Lerna in a speedy chariot, and with him he took his nephew and charioteer Iolaus, in search of the dreaded Hydra. When they finally reached the Hydras' hiding place, Heracles told Iolaus to stay with the horses while he drew the monster from its hole with flaming arrows. This brought out the hideous beast. Heracles courageously attacked the beast, flaying at each head with his sword, (in some versions a scythe) but he soon realized that as one head was severed another grew in its place. Heracles called for help from Iolaus, telling him to bring a flaming torch, and as Heracles cut off the heads one by one from the Hydra, Iolaus cauterized the open wounds with the torch preventing them from growing again. As Heracles fought the writhing monster he was almost stifled by its obnoxious breath, but eventually, with the help of Iolaus, Heracles removed all but one of the Hydras' heads. The one remaining could not be harmed by any weapon, so, picking up his hefty club Heracles crushed it with one mighty blow, he then tore off the head with his bare hands and quickly buried it deep in the ground, placing a huge boulder on the top. After he had killed the Hydra, Heracles dipped the tips of his arrows into the Hydras' blood, which was extremely poisonous, making them deadly.
Other versions say that while Heracles fought the Hydra the goddess Hera sent down a giant crab which attacked his feet). This legend comes from a marble relief dating from the 2nd century BCE found at ancient Lerna, showing Heracles attacking the Hydra, and near his feet is a huge crab. Also other legends say that a stray arrow set alight the forest, and it was the burning trunks which Heracles ripped up and used to cauterize the open wounds.
Source: Greek mythology
Pedia icon:

Preview:

Download: extended version :) see readme file
AoM Hydra V1.1

The hydra looks excellent, but I have a question: Is it a little small compared to some of the other "myth" (or other) units? While I haven't looked at it under game situation, in the tool I use for viewing action units (Quick Time) it appears somewhat small. Anyway, keep up the good work and I'm REALLY looking forward to other AoM units!!!!!

Superb unit. I have been waiting forever for one of these. Now that I have it, I will include it in my first beta patch. Good job. Interesting story there, too.

Very Good TheMorpheus, I like this fantasy Unit [dance] :clap: Also like how you handled the CIV Specific Color on this Unit.
If you ever have the Time, a Fire Breathing Attack would also be Cool.

I noticed that it didn't have a units_32.pcx so I made one for you with Civ Specific Colors. Also I included a Small.pcx I made from the Default.flc as an Alternative that is lighter and has the Unit Colors in game.

Here is the small Zip:

Attachments

• AomHydra_pcx_files.zip
    2.1 KB · Views: 294
Looks nice...too bad it can't grow more heads...but I know that's just technically impossible

It says Age of mythology hydra, right! Does that mean you ripped this from AoM? If ya did can you get some more!

I'm lovin this unit! I love it! Great job!
And as for anyone who wants a bigger version, doesn't steph's M-Unit builder have a single unit thing, where as part of it you can "grow" units? Why not try that someone.

I tried a larger version in the early test, but it looked to weird to, especialy the attack animation, so I have choosen this scale.

It says Age of mythology hydra, right! Does that mean you ripped this from AoM? If ya did can you get some more!
You too :)

Look at this thread How to convert an AoM unit

THanksfor pointing that out Sword of Geddon. I hadn't even noticed that he did anything. I'll download it and a nice thanx to Vuldacon as usual for followups, that he is always good with. Mr.Soundman. Although these aren't sounds, but that's what I usually see. :thumbsup:

I have added the stuff from Vuldacon to the main download.
Of cource thanks to Vuldacon for the graphical support :)

BTW: I used the sounds from the Dragon and the Balrog from Kinboat's great units. If someone uses these units in the mod too, he could save space by refering to the sound files of these units.

Sword_Of_Geddon said:
I think Amesjustin could use it as a Kaija I suppose.

Yes this would make a good precursor to King Ghidora - Great Work! :goodjob:

If anyone is interested in taking this unit and making Ghidora out of it, it would need 3 tails instead of one, giant wings, and an attack of shooting electric beams from it mouths in addition to biting.

As is, this unit is going right into G:ROTK.

Top Bottom