Age Poll: Fans vs Critics

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by mike_cf, Sep 26, 2010.

?

Opinion and age

1. I like ciV and i'm less than 18 years old

34 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. I like ciV and i'm between 18-30 years old

291 vote(s)
    37.0%
  3. I like ciV and i'm between 30-45 years old

166 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. I like ciV and i'm between 45-60 years old

34 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. I like ciV and i'm over 60 yeras old

4 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm less than 18 years old

7 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm between 18-30 years old

124 vote(s)
    15.8%
  8. I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm between 30-45 years old

104 vote(s)
    13.2%
  9. I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm between 45-60 years old

21 vote(s)
    2.7%
  10. I'm disappointed with ciV and i'm over 60 years old

2 vote(s)
    0.3%
  1. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Haha looks like the point of the thread (to prove that those who like/dislike are of different age) failed. The age patterns remains the same...

I mean that was the point right?

2. fantsu

fantsu Prince

29, started with the original.
    I like civ5, but don't LOVE it.
    :rolleyes:

3. Orion66

Orion66 Master of Orion

Am 30. Am civ addict since 1991.

I like Civ 5 - but please improve AI (tactical battles, AI should be more aggressive)

4. Exterminas

Exterminas Warlord

Wow, you poll proved that the average civ-player is between 18 and 30 and likes Civ5. I never would have guessed that.

5. Demon Rob

Demon Rob Chieftain

46, I think, you lose count after a while.
    from Civ I on the Amiga (and back then, you really did have to wait between turns).
    Got a nice complete set of Civ manuals for all the games, um, but where's my Civ5 manual?
    Disapointed with Civ5. Like Hexes, like reimagining for the series, but I think lots of this game should have been rejected early in the design phase. Total War series lost the plot after MTW when they went fancy graphics over AI, just hoping Civ series hasn't gone the same way or I'm out of games to play.

I also wanted to mention - not sure about the 'fun' of this game either. Doesn't seem to be any of the old Civ mystery of a new world - what's out there, what's going to happen.

6. SixNations

SixNations Chieftain

I'm 40, and played since Civ1, back in the early 90's.
    Voted for not liking... but...

Some things I love:
    Have to do more thought about warfare other than just stack o' doom.
    City States.

On the other side:
    Not happy with the way puppet's are working out. The larger the map, the less fun the game. Shame, in Civ4 I basically only played Huge maps. Already looking forward to the first patch.

Still early days though.
    /6N

7. WuphonsReach

WuphonsReach Prince

40-something... like it and hate it at the same time. Liked it more until I played 30+ hours, now I'm stuck with:

- balance issues on large maps
    - bad AI
    - bland play compared to Civ4
    - bugs, bugs and more bugs
    - bad UI decisions (save screen)

8. Rexflex

Rexflex Prince

I, too got the distinct feeling that the poll was supposed to demonstrate an immaturity within one group over the other.

There are a few minor variations in the age patterns, but if you take into account the apparent proportion of like vs dislike to determine what confidence level and interval the sample size would allow, the variations between the two are statistically insignificant.

9. RX2000

RX2000 Prince

I like it. I'm 28.

I've been playing since Civ II. I think I first started playing it around '96 or so.

10. Devolved

Devolved Chieftain

What about, I like Civ V because its progressive and new, but dislike it because it's been poorly implemented and strategically simplified? Concepts like cultural expansion and unit ZOCs are great. The fact that non-military traffic can completely shut down your roads (in some cases, causing units to detour out to sea) and a diplomacy system that encourages conquest, is not so good. Also, the Civpedia is extremely sparse and missing a great deal of information is irksome. City-States? A nifty addition. But the only real interaction with them is to either pay them for resources or conquer them. The same can be said for other Civs. After completing two games, I've noticed a trend towards end-game superpowers. Each continent will end up having a single dominant Civ at the end. There's little by way of diplomacy, even among the AI because they've figured out that you're better off destroying everyone you meet, rather than trying to live with them. I also like the fact that there are more diplomacy options, but the trouble is with the AI's animosity towards you and everyone else. I rarely get to exercise many of the trade options because, well, I'm not sure. They're just not receptive. The solution? Conquer.

So there have been many improvements, but so much more has been stripped out. The Civ series generally built up on on previous iterations. Streamlined the new additions for consecutive versions, adjusted as necessary and only removed the chaff. Civ 5 seems to have hacked into the previously established strategic layers with a meat cleaver and left a much more basic experience.

OK, I meant to show a positive with a following negative, but ended up going all negative. Let it be known that I'm still playing and will continue to play, I just really want the legitimate bugs fixed. I'll just hope some of that missing strategy can be modded in by someone far more technically apt than myself.

*Edit*

Oh right. I'm 39 and have been playing since Civ2.

11. mike_cf

mike_cf Chieftain

The poll shows that the majority of players who like civ 5 are between 18-30 years old with quite a handful of under 18 years olds thus, 2k reached their goal: to make civ attractive for the younger (console) crowd.

This means that the next civ iterations will go even more on this path while the old players will remain with their old versions and with high hopes that the modders will bring back the fun for them.

P.S: This also means that probably many things such as the dumb AI won't be patched 'cuz it will spoil the fun...

12. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

:wallbash: How do I put it now... let me think... you see perhaps that those who dislike it the most are also of the same age group, no? That tells you anything... at all? No? Oh well...

13. JtW

JtW Prince

I disagree, Excellency ;)

If you read through the comments, you would see that most "below 30 yrs olds" have played all the way from Civ I or Civ II. How come are they "console crowd" to you? I, for one, am 29, have played all Civ iterations, with Civ I being one of my first computer games ever, and I have hardly played any console games. Flawed logic, if you ask me.

Oh, and I LOVE Civ5. If only they fixed the AI, too.

14. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

There are lies, there are evil lies, and there are statistics :D

I could say, with the same data and with the same ammount of reason, that :
    OFC I'll not do that because that is not the way you do things ;) First you see who likes/ dislikes stuff per age section to see if there is any diference at all , then you might go that way ;) Not doing that leads to nonsense.

15. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Elite Commander

You read more into those stats than they actually tell. In fact, you are seeing what you see because you want to see it, not because it is actually there.

The statistics so far clearly show that in all groups, people like Civ5 more than they dislike it. There's no statistically meaningful difference between the age groups.

i.e. the like/dislike function is independent of the age of the gamer and has to do with something else, something that has not been discovered yet.

My personal _guess_ is that the dislikers are more logistically/mathematically inclined gamers, who try to analyse/study the underlying mechanics of the game and see faults or omissions there. On the other hand, the people who like the game, may approach it as more casual entertainment.

16. mike_cf

mike_cf Chieftain

As a standalone pc game, civ 5 is ok , a pleasant experience. But as a Civ game, civ 5 is a simplified game who targets more casual and console gamers and thus a disappointment for civ veterans who want a deep strategy game.

It is a good game byt itself but a mediocre or even weak Civilization game.

17. Cilpot

Cilpot Pretentious Schmuck

I'm 32 and have played every Civ game. I really like Civ V.

Love is a strong word, though. But I did not love any of the predecessors either, except for Fall From Heaven II.

18. silentounce

silentounce Chieftain

You should also point out that there is a sampling bias here. We're only seeing the results of people that are registered on this site and are taking the time to answer this poll. And those that have purchased/had access to the game shortly after its release.

So, really, this kind of statistical "analysis" is worthless.

19. boredatwork

boredatwork Warlord

^this

20. arioch99

arioch99 Chieftain

I'm 32 and I like Civ 5. Different but fun. I think that apprenticeship is part of the pleasure to play. I liked Civ 1 to 4 too, but I become tired over time of the same rules again and again. New Game = New fun