Ages of Provolutia, surprise pitboss

I've just done one turn for Ostrig. didn't have time to sort out a proper replacement before he left but are people ok for me to find a sub whilst Amask is away? I'll be able to explain what's going on to them well enough. and half of ostrig's troops are really mine anyway ;)

me playing Ostrig won't be too different to him playing these next few turns much though tbh as we have been in touch and I more or less know what he's got in mind.

Do whatever feels right to you. I'm not strongly objecting your take over. I'm just curious, why you objected us to play CH's turns and now consider it totally alright to play on behalf of Ostrig now. I don't know details well enough, but AI cotrolling the nation must have given you quite a bit of advantage.

Do whatever feels right to you. I'm not strongly objecting your take over. I'm just curious, why you objected us to play CH's turns and now consider it totally alright to play on behalf of Ostrig now. I don't know details well enough, but AI cotrolling the nation must have given you quite a bit of advantage.
I had no objections before btw.

I've just done one turn for Ostrig. didn't have time to sort out a proper replacement before he left but are people ok for me to find a sub whilst Amask is away? I'll be able to explain what's going on to them well enough. and half of ostrig's troops are really mine anyway ;)

me playing Ostrig won't be too different to him playing these next few turns much though tbh as we have been in touch and I more or less know what he's got in mind.
A sub solves all issues! :D

Not so much for now, but for exploring the principle ... I think in some cases, having two allies played by one particular player can potentially create a coordination advantage, when the two civs border each other, or share a border with a common enemy. The answer may be to have the uncovered civ played by a member of the alliance that is more distant, where the two civs are less likely to be having joint maneuvers, which is really what the issue is, in my view. Plako covering pianoland pending a sub would have been the option closest to this principle, for example.

Generally, I think having a civ in AI mode is to be avoided in pitboss, and few things are worse. My suggestion to kick Amask to AI was really tongue in cheek, only designed to devilishly poke Morgan with a dose of his own medicine, :devil: :mischief: conceptually, not in reality. (You can tell when I am poking fun by the appearance of the small print! :lol:)

Now, if plako feels he is at some disadvantage, even if small, from Kaleb being the one to handle Amask's civ, isn't it worth exploring having a different alliance partner play the turns? If that is less advantageous to your alliance than Kaleb playing it, well, then isn't that the point? I suppose one could use as reference, what choice is most like Amask playing for himself, which might be the neighbor, and might lead to chosing the sub creating a small advantage to the sub creating a moderate disadvantage. While that is fairest for the team with the missing player, may not be so fair for the opposing team. And if getting a sub is the ideal goal, isn't that always a relative disadvantage vs. original player continuing (other than issues of player game skill), and against any alliance member continuing?

If my goal in pitboss were to win games personally, I could have hung up my mouse years ago! ;) I play hard for the team I am on (doesn't is always boil down to teams?), but in other areas, I tend to think that the benefit of the doubt should go to game balancing choices. Keep the game as competitive as possible for as long as possible. So in a choice between which alliance gets disadvantaged by a subbing choice, my philosophy would tend to put the burden on the dominant alliance.

I don't think anyone is really going to get twisted up about how this plays out, but I have found that discussions like this are good to align players' expectations about how to handle situations that arise, and make for a smoother future of the current game and future games.

dV

Can recommend then that Geronimo or Giger take over for Ostrig please? probably the simplest option as there isn't really much going on between them coordination wise.

This turn nothing significant will be happening (neither did anything happen last turn) so I'm just going to go ahead and do the turn

Morgan, I haven't been offended so apology wasn't needed, but I appreciate your humble attitude.

dV, very good points. AI shouldn't be part of competitive pitboss games. In this game Fosse also skipped lot of turns at some point. I'm going to be more active in the future to prevent AI take overs and ask for actions earlier, if there are very inactive players.

Kaleb, I would feel more comfortable if someone else would take over, but it is your call.

I'd prefer it too tbh as I don't want to do things that are more in my best interest than Ostrig's - Geronimo or Giger stepping in will be easiest thing IMO

(p.s Morgan don't forget to do Ostrig's turn after plako has done his ;) )

Ostrig's back soon so hopefully both he and plako will be alive and they can continue beating the crap out of each other :D

Sorry to have imposed this situation on everyone.
I have returned and will be getting back into things.

Giger's missed his turn after 70 hours :(

If it doesn't look like he's going to play in the next 70 hour window should we pause the game? and if so until when?

I don't mind a pause, although I would suspect our host would have arranged a pause or break, if he felt he needs one.

Game down? civstats is disconnected and my connection attempts just time-out.

Kaleb: I won't be able to play again until early evening EST tomorrow, so depending on when the game comes back up, you might need to play before me (or play the bulk of your turn and I'll leave the game paused for you to finish up after I'm done, if there are any double-move situations)?

Since this is my first turn back since my vacation I'm not fully up to speed yet on any unit moves that might be affected.

Game down? civstats is disconnected and my connection attempts just time-out.

Kaleb: I won't be able to play again until early evening EST tomorrow, so depending on when the game comes back up, you might need to play before me (or play the bulk of your turn and I'll leave the game paused for you to finish up after I'm done, if there are any double-move situations)?

Since this is my first turn back since my vacation I'm not fully up to speed yet on any unit moves that might be affected.

You were right. The server had crashed. Reloaded, Elkad will have to replay.

Hi, sorry I need to do some more moves as Munro hadn't done his turn before I logged last time (which is fair enough as there were still 16hrs on clock at that time). Can I have a 3hr pause at some point within the remaining time as I am travelling today and would be able to do my turn until later (8ish UK time)

Top Bottom