1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Aging Windmills and Similar Events

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by SwirlSlayer, Jul 26, 2019.

1. SwirlSlayer

SwirlSlayer Chieftain

I'm not sure if this belongs here or the Community Events mod-mod thread, but I recently got the event "Aging Windmills" in my game as America. The event allows you to pick between several options in upgrading your windmills, assuming you have the gold necessary for an option. I really wanted to pick the option to upgrade my windmill at the cost of 4 iron and 2000 gold, but the turn I got the event I just happened to have 1976 gold. Being just shy of the picking this option (which would have given me a huge boost of +15% production on all windmills) just because I didn't have enough gold on this random turn was quite infuriating.

I know I could stockpile gold to prepare for events like this, but that allows enemy spies to steal thousands of gold from me at a time. I'm not sure if this design is intended, but it seems a bit counter-intuitive, as it incentivizes and dis-incentivizes gold stockpiles at the same time.

I was wondering if instead of using stockpiled gold, these events could use gold per turn. If they did, players can much better prepare for important events like this, as they are not suddenly caught off guard by not having the required amount of gold one turn. To compensate for this "readiness" factor, players could pay much more in gold per turn compared to the current gold costs. For example, instead of a 2000 gold lump-sum payment, players could pay 50 gold per turn for 90 turns (Marathon speed).

I'm not sure if this solution is feasible, but it would make the game much more enjoyable for me. What are your thoughts on this matter?

2. balinte

balinte Chieftain

(U could have just sold some buildings)

3. SwirlSlayer

SwirlSlayer Chieftain

...Oh yeah, I could have. Oops. I guess stockpiling gold isn't too necessary when one could do this.

4. Deljade

Deljade Chieftain

Yeap you could definitely do that.
    I only had problems with these when I bought units or buildings before checking the event so yeah check events first before you do anything.
    Other than that its usually on point with the gold it asks (a trade deal or sold building can secure it too)

5. Teholb

Teholb Warlord

Mutually exclusive choices between attractive options are what make the game interesting. If you want to have the amazing benefit of that event, you must also accept a risk component or really why wouldn't you choose to exploit it every single time? And would you feel good about it once you got it, knowing that it was essentially inevitable and you had no real input in that? We want to have our cake and eat it IRL, but in games that often simply dulls the experience. I actually don't play with the events enabled because they seem to increase instability in MP.