Agressive settling

I haven't actually tried this but I strongly doubt it, since this was one of the known exploits in Civ 3 that people wanted removed.

You can occupy or raze the city that provides the cultural border that prevents you from settling. However, if your enemy gets that city back, its culture will again swallow your new city, and your new city will probably revolt to join your enemy.

As a quickie on a related topic...

You CAN move units into other civs territory when you have an open borders agreement, and I'm pretty certain workers can err work there. But could you send in workers to sort of pre-pillage key resources and routes if you were intending a sneaky backstab attack?

StrideCollosus said:

You CAN move units into other civs territory when you have an open borders agreement, and I'm pretty certain workers can err work there. But could you send in workers to sort of pre-pillage key resources and routes if you were intending a sneaky backstab attack?

I did build routes inside my wanabee victim before i sent my commandos.
It's really fun to catch a core city within the first turn :D

StrideCollosus said:

Workers can't build improvements in enemy land. They can only build roads.

You can't pillage inside cultural borders unless you're at war. You can, however, pillage on neutral ground that is soon to become part of a friendly civ's borders.

But could you send in workers to sort of pre-pillage key resources and routes if you were intending a sneaky backstab attack?

==================
His question is more like : Can he station his units at the ennemy's resource to start pillaging right at the start of the war.

The answer is no because you were able to station your unit there thanks to the open border agreement, but as soon as you declare war, all your units are automatically sent back to your closest border, thus, after declaring war, you will have to move your unit (one tile per turn, unless special unit) to the spot again before you can start pillaging....

I thought he meant build a useless improvement there, for eg, a windmill on a hill that has bronze. But no, as you can only build roads. :)

1. You can only build improvements including roads/railroads in your cultural boundries. You can settle in this area too.

2. You can only build roads/railroads in neutral territory. You can settle in this area too.

3. You can only build roads/railroads in a territory that you have an open border agreement. You cannot settle in this area.

4. You can only build roads/railroads in the first tile into enemy territory. This tile is still connected to your trade/resource network (ie roads/railroads), but the moment you move one more tile into the enemy territory, you are cut off from your trade/resource network. You cannot settle in this area.

It is a common tactic to pre-build roads/railroads in a future enemy's territory while you have an open border agreement. That way after you capture or raze a city and cultural border receeds, your troops will have full movement capability. It really helps in getting garrison troops (i.e. 1 movement point units) to the captured cities.

You can also chop forests in neutral territory. It's especially nice to chop forests that are going to end up in enemy territory but haven't yet.

Top Bottom