1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Agricultural Revolution Expanded (AREX) 2.8.7

Tech tree changes, naval movement increased, aiming for historical "accuracy"

1. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Very interesting overhaul! Will play with it tonight =)

2. Knasp

Knasp Warlord

Knasp updated Agricultural Revolution - Expanded with a new update entry:

Fix for naval attrition

Read the rest of this update entry...

3. Elhoim

Elhoim Iron Tower Studio Dev

Hi @Knasp !

In this spot there was a persian galley, for many turns, with lower hitpoints due to attrition. At some point it lost all and became invisible, but it's still there. Also it shouldn't have been there in the first place as I don't have open borders with him but it can be because some other mod... I generally just use cosmetic/gui ones, Real Strategy and YaMP.

upload_2019-9-21_12-26-4.png

While we are at it, some strange things:

- I'm getting way more trade routes than I should, but I can't pinpoint the source. I have 27 cities and 39 routes. I have the Colossus and a couple of great people extra routes, but that would explain around 4-5 of the "extra" 12 routes I have.
    - The tech text for industralization say +1 food to farms, but you get the 2 farm adjacency there, while it's the other way around with Replaceable Parts.

In general I'm very happy with the mod! I'll try to post some detailed feedback once I'm done with this game.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
    Knasp likes this.
  4. Knasp

Knasp Warlord

Thanks for reporting!
    I'm guessing the invisible ship could simply be an visual bug in the base game, but I think I know why it has survived.

It was likely caused by the switch in attrition codes between the last two updates. If you started that game before the latest update where I replaced Firaxis code with my own.

I noticed in my own game that once I switched attrition codes, all units that were already built and present in the game weren't affected. But all new or upgraded units were affected.

So presumably the Persian Galley could've been damaged until near death, but then the latest update kicked in and it was no longer suffering attrition. But since ships can't generally heal outside your borders and since it was also trapped, that could explain why it was still in the plot after all that time. But I have no explanation for why it would be invisible.

5. Knasp

Knasp Warlord

Knasp updated Agricultural Revolution - Expanded with a new update entry:

Update - including add-on for Steel & Thunder Unit Expansion

6. Knasp

Knasp Warlord

7. Knasp

Knasp Warlord

Knasp updated Agricultural Revolution Expanded (AREX) with a new update entry:

Several changes since 2.8:

8. Knasp

Knasp Warlord

Fixing some glaring problems

9. ggalindo001

ggalindo001 Warlord

Knasp -- this is a really fun mod. I am about 1/3 of the way through a game, and I really like the following concepts a lot:

1. Discovery of bonus and strategic materials upon tech advance vs. at the start of the game. Makes city placement a little more challenging early on.
    2. The attrition of units that are moving -- i actually think the attrition should be more than -1, maybe more like -2 or -3. Makes long marches more realistic.
    3. The bonuses for city states being only for the capital and not all faciltities
    4. Pushing Campus back, and changing the adjacency bonuses.

Some of the items, esp. 1 and 2 should be core game mechanics IMO in the base game. They are very realistic.

Will provide more feedback as I continue my game (hopefully before the upcoming patch)

Knasp likes this.
  10. Knasp

Knasp Warlord

I'm glad to hear that you've liked it so far! Now I'm curious to read how you find the mod the further you play. I would appreciate criticism as well as approval.

11. Knasp

Knasp Warlord

2.8.6 changes

12. Revolutionist_8

Revolutionist_8 Prince

Hello my friend! :)

Long time since I played with this mod, and it seems it's evolved quite a lot, good job! :) I've decided to give it a go again! Do you mind receiving feedback and bug reports?

some database errors

Edit: I'm potato, used previous version :D No such errors

Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  13. Knasp

Knasp Warlord

Adjustments and addon for Steel and Thunder

14. Smity2k1

Smity2k1 Warlord

This looks super interesting, I'll have to give it a go!

15. writtendown

writtendown Chieftain

Not sure, but i think it is a bug. Built a plantation on bananas, it shows 4 production icons on the map instead of 2 (sidepanel and city calculated correctly). Also on the left hand i built a farm just to see the difference. Playing for a while, it can get a little confusing how much yields should something actually give. Maybe there is a way of improving the calculations, but in overall i like the idea for the mod. As i built harbors, i realized, as it gets bonuses from adjacent tiles, these bonuses can be quite high, when there are jungle and forest tiles next by. AREX_bug.jpg

On a second look, i see it also shows food incorrectly.

After a reload, it shows the yields correctly.

Last edited: May 2, 2020
  16. writtendown

writtendown Chieftain

Played this on multiplayer yesterday with 6 players pangaea. Felt really good, up to late medieval there were very close science and culture yields.

A really good job! Hope this mod will reach out to a wider community as well, and will start getting more feedback.

What is going on with the Fisheries and Fishing boats? Are they both really required?

Last edited: May 3, 2020
  17. Jaybe

Jaybe civus fanaticus Supporter

What’s status of this mod since the NFP update? I had assumed it would be a bit messed up and so started my 1st post-update game without it (a disappointing way to play).

Hoping to hear good news soon, though clarity will work, too.

On the non-game front, too much pain (and general ’discomfort’).

18. writtendown

writtendown Chieftain

The tech tree alone is already worth saving and the logic that comes directly with it (appropriately revelead resources, better progress through the ages)
    Improved food yields and more responsive gameplay logic is also very welcoming indeed and feels like it could have a lot of potential for adding more balance between civic and tech tree and wide and tall empires.

But i probably do not even realize how many more ties there are in this mod to properly achieve all these goals. I cannot even replace the function with a lua file through a mod, so..

Fixing the strategic resources and combat on the other hand could be too much work without a clear vision in sight what to achieve (right now it is quite broken especially for AI, but fun anyway) - although i feel this could be a secondary goal on such a mod anyway. As there are many good mods that add more units to the game it would probably be best just to keep it a separate "unit and combat balance project" (probably in a manner, so that it would work on both original game and other similar mods)

This mod needs to be taken down to pieces to make something great out of it, but i do not really ask or expect anything, since times come and go. Still, i am amazed to see that when there is desire and care, then a lot can be achieved, even by simply modding the basic mod files ;)