Agriculture

grallon

Warlord
I'm trying to rewrite the very poor tech tree so I swapped Trapping with Agriculture as 1st free tech - on the reasoning that hunter gatherers settle down to begin agriculture - not the other way around (although some hippie new age cult would have us think otherwise). After loading I still have Trapping as a 'researchable' tech - as opposed to 'agriculture' that is already learned.

So is there another file other than CivVtechnologies which I should change to specify what is the free starting tech? If so what's its name?

G.

Did u check in lua....havent messed with it yet but i did a mod like this on civ4 and i had to delete it from EVERY xml file it showed up in. That was ALOT of files lemme tell you. Anyway i did all that thinking i was done, and then turned out i had to go into python (lua now) and get it out of there. Might check into that or ask someone with more experiance.

No. This issue does not require LUA.

Check the Civilizations.xml. Each civilization is assigned a free tech. That technology is always Agriculture. Change it to Trapping. In addition, if you've downloaded any civilizations, you'll need to edit those files as well, or they'll start with Agriculture as well.

Hope this helps!

but Technology_PrereqTechs is still going to need change, the first few techs have agriculture as requirement, and then whatever requires trapping

Of course. I'm specifically addressing the issue of starting with Agriculture.

Let us know how it works out! I'm going to fiddle with the starting techs for my own mod, and if there are any pitfalls it's good to know what they are. :)

It's working - just need to remember to reposition the X/Y xis display. Btw anyone know what the full graph is? How many rows and columns? I changed the name of Rome to Roma and now all cities show Text_key_ something or other...

G.

It's working - just need to remember to reposition the X/Y xis display. Btw anyone know what the full graph is? How many rows and columns? I changed the name of Rome to Roma and now all cities show Text_key_ something or other...

G.

Pretty sure it's 10 rows (0-9)(y-value) and infinite amount of columns (x-value).

Pretty sure it's 10 rows (0-9)(y-value) and infinite amount of columns (x-value).

Correct. 10 rows, GridY numbered 0 through 9, is the default, although there's already a really simple mod that increases this. (In TechTree.lua there's are x-spacing and y-spacing variables. Reducing these fits more techs on.) The number of columns is technically unlimited, since the game has a scroll bar; in my future-era mod I have 26 columns of technologies, with GridX values going from 0 for Agriculture to 25 for Transcendent Thought (a.k.a. Future Tech). The main catch here is that if you're adding additional Eras, there's a small amount of .lua editing necessary.

The only other thing to watch out for, if you decide to rearrange/insert techs, is that you should never have two techs with different Era settings in the same column. Do this even once and it throws the entire tree off. But other than that, it's very flexible, and will automatically adjust to almost any change you make.

What about the city names which no longer display properly? I merely changed Rome to Roma... Oh and I added Alba as 2nd city instead of Antium... Is there another file where these names are reported - other than Civilizations.xml?

G.

The Civilizations text file?

Check NewText folder.

Top Bottom