[BNW] Ah, so this is the Big Leagues...

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter
A couple days ago I posted in the Game-of-the-Month forum that my first Deity victory would probably come in a GotM game.

Well, no it won’t. Today, for me, is a Triple-Witching Day.

Spain, small, inland sea, standard pace, DEITY. Hand-picked India, Venice, and Austria as opponents. I was northeast, Austria to the south. India (to the north) and Venice were at the western edge, six of the eight city-states between the two hemispheres.

I was semi-planning a science victory, but would watch for other opportunities. Early on it was apparent that Austria was wonder-whoring. And while India seemed to lag in science, he was getting his share of wonders, too. On T144 I bribed Austria to DOW Venice (whom she could more easily reach, across the bottom of the map). That war lasted the entire game, without cease-fire.

T183 Austria became influential on me (so, 2 to go). India influences me a few turns later.
T184 Austria takes ORDER.
T185 India takes FREEDOM, which immediately gave Austria cultural-indigestion. That made me notice how high India’s culture was. While that removed any of my thoughts of a Culture-victory, it probably also meant neither of them would get it, either.

But I need more. Luckily, on T194 another relatively small bribe sent Austria after India.
T195 I took FREEDOM (and Venice followed, but not until T213).
T218 India influential on 2 out of 3. (Still thinking he won't be able to influence Austria, but...)

Meanwhile, a curious thing was happening. Austria had married 4 C/S, and Venice had merchanted 3 more. Yerevan was the only C/S left, allied to India.

T252 World Congress becomes UN. Gandhi garners 8 of the 9 necessary votes. (Nine! Only nine? Yikes!)
T261 Gandhi enters Atomic Era. I am 8 turns from researching Satellites, so even though I have 9 or 10 Great Scientists, there is just no way I’m going to get a Science-victory. The next Leader Vote is T267!

T266, what to do? The only thing I can think of to delay Gandhi was to buy Yerevan’s affection. Fortunately, I have plenty of gold. What I DIDN’T think of was that that would give ME the necessary 10 votes.
T267, opened the voting screen, and – HEY, I’M GONNA WIN THIS THING!!

T-268 Diplo-V. Two achievements, "Flawless Strategy" (Deity win), and "Dark Horse" (Diplo-vic having never been host of World Congress).

Triple-Witching-Day?
1 First Deity victory.
2 Father’s Day (4X; @deafritz is the one that gifted CiV to me).
3 And today, June 18, 2017, I have completed 41 solar orbits since the day I married Berri. Still in love.

Top Bottom