Ahmadinejad "wins" Iran presidential election

Abaddon

Deity
Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has been re-elected as president of Iran in a resounding victory, the interior minister says.

With more than 80% of results in, official figures said he won 62.6% of the vote, amid a record high turnout. But reformist Mir Hossein Mousavi has also claimed victory, calling the result a "dangerous charade", as backers vowed to appeal for a re-run. Police have sealed off Mr Mousavi's campaign HQ, preventing his supporters from holding a news conference. There have been reports of police deploying on the streets of Tehran and beating people with truncheons as small groups gather to protest. One opposition newspaper has been closed down and BBC websites also appear to have been blocked by the Iranian authorities.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/8098305.stm

:(

Another country slips out of democracy. Will there be big enough protests?

As long as he's in, the US should not deal with the man. It's too much to swallow to have relations with the leader of a country who was part of the group that assaulted and overran our embassy and held our diplomatic staff hostage.

(not that i doubt it) Has that been proven VRWC?

As long as he's in, the US should not deal with the man. It's too much to swallow to have relations with the leader of a country who was part of the group that assaulted and overran our embassy and held our diplomatic staff hostage.

I've heard about that but has anyone offered any proof?

Eye witness claims by some hostages.

I think he was involved, but not physically present during the ordeal. Maybe they saw him get coffee before talking to the Supreme Leader? :D

Yeah, so Iran != democracy, if there was any doubt before...his opponent had HUGE public support. If the division was smaller (say, 1-3%), I could believe it.

Could've been rigged, if i rigged an election i would put down a number like 62%... just saying..

I am amazed they always get daft like this. If i was to rigg a vote, i'd win by a close margin, arouse less suspicion and anger.

Anyone taking bets on how long it will take him to reverse the "only two terms" deal?

So who here actually knows it was rigged? Is there anything to indicate this? Or is this simply because a guy you hate was re-elected?

Unless BBC news, The Times are both significantly biased, it seemed there was significant support for an alternative to Ah-mah-dine-jad. Also his actions seem to point towards it. Political Freedom has been curtailed in the last few months.

It should have at least run into a second election. I do not believe is gained greater than 50% of the vote legally.

I am prepared to believe he is in the lead, just not in a lead so significant.

Unless BBC news, The Times are both significantly biased, it seemed there was significant support for an alternative to Ah-mah-dine-jad. Also his actions seem to point towards it. Political Freedom has been curtailed in the last few months.

It should have at least run into a second election. I do not believe is gained greater than 50% of the vote legally.

I am prepared to believe he is in the lead, just not in a lead so significant.

So its a hunch. And upset elections have happened before. Was 1948 also the end of democracy, because Thomas Dewey was the "favorite?"

As I said in the other thread: the fact that the regime didn't allow any pre-election public opinion surveys tells me they were going to cheat and didn't want be be caught.

As I said in the other thread: the fact that the regime didn't allow any pre-election public opinion surveys tells me they were going to cheat and didn't want be be caught.

You may very well be right, but we should only say they cheated if they actually did and we can prove it, not because we don't like them and shouldn't pass up an opportunity to debase them further.

To say it was rigged makes no sense. It's fairly clear the Ayotollah was up for the other guy, so who the hell is going to rig it behind the Ayotollah's back?

Top Bottom