1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI absurd demands?

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Strategy & Tips' started by firecat318, Sep 30, 2010.

1. firecat318

firecat318 Warlord

I was playing as Greece attempting a Science victory when Suleiman attacks me. No problem since I was way ahead of him in technology, despite him having twice the number of cities (and Japan having about 5x the number of cities). Anyways after about 10 turns of warding off his pathetic army he sues for peace...

He tried that at least 4-5 more times before he just proposed a peace - peace deal, which I accepted (needed the army units to fend off the western frontier).

Here was his score compared to mine and the others.

Has anyone else experienced this odd AI behavior?

2. nekom

nekom Warlord

Some of the AI's demands AND capitulations are indeed quite wonky. I've had civs relatively on par with my own either demand everything but the capital or offer everything but theirs to end wars that never went anywhere. I hope the next patch fixes that.

3. Martin Alvito

Martin Alvito Real men play SMAC

It's just terrible at calculating relative strength and learning from experience. I had a recent game where the killcount in an Ancient war was 10:0 in my favor, and the AI kept making ridiculous demands for peace. Never mind that I'd just wasted half his army.

4. Hacksaaw

Hacksaaw Chieftain

This has been an element of most recent games of civ, and something that should have been addressed by now. the AI should find far more equitable trades and agreements acceptable.

5. Show

Show Chieftain

Generally happens, I'm playing Greece as well on deity dual maps to fine-tune a strategy and generally it starts off with me declaring war, followed by them asking me for everything I have on the next few turns. Than I take one city and they offer everything they possess for peace even tho the war only just started.

6. ShowOfForce

ShowOfForce Chieftain

Has anyone even found a scenario where demanding things even works?

7. TheBlindLeader

TheBlindLeader Chieftain

Most absurd are in my opinion the peace offers you get when you are about to conquer a underdeveloped civ... You take 2-3 cities of their approx. 15 and then you get offered all their gold, all their GPT and all their other cities except the Capital...

Well some demands of the city states comes close... I played on a huge earth map with real starting positions with Ramses II. Upon finding Hanoi or some other far away city state they wanted streets to my capital not caring about the 50-60 fields they were away.

8. Sable

Sable Chieftain

I think the AI places a higher importance on having cities conquered/razed than they do tiles pillaged or units killed. In my Bollywood playthrough, I must have fought about six defensive wars against Napoleon and Nobunaga. The only time I got one of them quickly coming to me for peace was Napoleon when I razed 2 cities he'd built right between mine. The rest of the time, I must have killed a dozen of their units per war, but they just kept throwing guys against my defenses and refused reasonable peace terms.

9. Bibor

Bibor Doomsday Machine

Yes, razing or capturing cities does the trick :D