AI aggressiveness

dhialuck

Chieftain
Hello great people!

I have always been bothered by how peaceful the AI is.
I have heard that the likeliness of the AI to declare war also depends on the difficulty, I usually play emperor and the AI is far too peaceful and allows me to snowball as I get away with a tiny army and with my diplomacy play most of the AI's are friendly with me.

I would like to ask if there any XML values I can modify to increase the likeliness of war?
If not, is it easy to expose such variables for us to modify?

Thank you

The side effect of making the AI really aggressive is that, unless it's only aggressive towards the player, the game becomes much easier. Even if it's player only aggression, if it's not declaring war in a smart manner (when your weak and it's strong), it's only throwing it's units into a meat grinder.

I actually like the current AI when it comes to war. Particularly late game when the AI goes into "oh crap, he's going to win mode", and you get 3 or 4 of them all declare war on the same turn.

I've found the AI on Emperor difficulty to be plenty aggressive enough. Either they punish me early game for a small/backwards army, which means it's almost necessary to hit Steel at the same time as the AI, or they punish me late game for having a small/backwards army and trying to win. It's very rare that I can have a small army and not have an AI declare war on me, especially once Ideologies come into play.

I can't remember a game where I wasn't simultaneously at war with 3 AI at the same time, and I don't think I've gotten one declaration of friendship in months, so I'm not sure what game you're playing, but please share :D

This mod makes the AI belligerent, so you'd probably enjoy it.

I think AI strategy depends on what kind of victory conditions are enabled, so you could only enable domination victory and a few or no others.

I've been playing on King with CBP. Trust me there are wars constantly. Add on top of that the AI's propensity for forming Defensive Pacts and suddenly Pedro declares war on Pacal and 10 civs declare war on Pedro.

I've thought a few times the game was too peaceful. Only the most warmongering of AIs ever seem to declare war on other AIs.

Obviously I'm an exception if I have no military.

I've thought a few times the game was too peaceful. Only the most warmongering of AIs ever seem to declare war on other AIs.

Obviously I'm an exception if I have no military.

It's the side effect of the AI being smarter.

If attacking you (or another AI), does not help it's goals it won't.

Top Bottom