1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI always go for cultural victory on noble?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Mahi, Apr 24, 2010.

1. Mahi

Mahi Warlord

Hey CIV fanatics. I'm new to the forum but have been playing CIV IV BTS for a while now.

I'm playing on noble at the time but I have a problem with the AI. It seems that the AI always chooses to go for a cultural victory and (admitted) often win the game because of it. Mainly because I'm not interested in a cultural race at all but I really don't like to turn any victory conditions off besides the time victory.
    I had three games in a row now where I was the most advanced or/and powerful civ in the game but was "cheated" from my victory because of the culture.

My question is this: Is the cultural victory a main strategy for all AI civs or is it just because I played against certain characters?

Also I would like to know if I turn off a certain victory condition will the AI be aware of this or will it still go after a victory that is no longer in play?

Hope someone can answer my questions. Thx :)

2. Sveon

Sveon Warlord

Do you pick peaceful AIs or go random?

For peaceful AIs think India, Egypt, Mali etc. If you pick those leaders you will end up with a game that is in deed peaceful but ultimately much harder to win than against a mix of personalities that will spend serious resources on war and protection. Seems to me the peaceful AIs are more prone to pursue Cultural if they never get attacked. Remember, on noble the AI has the same tech rate and production you do. To get an edge you want them to spend their resources on less productive things, like war with each other.

3. Ghpstage

Ghpstage Deity

Unfortunately I think that culture is the only victory condition the AI actually plans, everything else it stumbles into. That being said some AIs are much more liekly to try culture than others, in particular watch out for Mansa Musa and Gandhi.

When you get used to watching for culture whores its very easy to prevent them in most games. Check the victory conditions screen every so often, it lets you see where the AIs arein the race for culture, and it even names the target cities for if they get close to a win. All you really need to do then is raze 1 maybe 2 of those cities to wipe that civ out of contention.

It will still play the same way, it doesn't understand any game settings like that or raging barbs.

4. David7

David7 Chieftain

If you're ahead in power and tech, just nuke/ raze the soon-to-be-legendary cities.

5. GhostWriter16

GhostWriter16 Deity

Looks like this will change in Civ 5.

6. Challs

Challs Warlord

Thats weird. They useally go for either a domination victory or a conquest victory when i play on Noble. Although i guess i depends on which characters you are playing with.

7. Disgustipated

Disgustipated Deity

For me it's Ghandi, and I think once or twice I saw Mansa do it. But Ghandi does it nearly every game. I primarily play on noble and prince. Dropped back down to noble because the mod I'm playing is a bit more difficult than regular BTS.

8. ParadigmShifter

ParadigmShifter Random Nonsense Generator

Brennus goes for it a lot too.

9. Mahi

Mahi Warlord

Thanks for the replies :)

I always play large map with random civs.. Actually I think to recall that the last game i played Bismarck was the one who won close followed by Brennus who lso had alot of cultural points.
    I often go for diplomatic victory trying to keep a good amount of peace in the game but as you stated before it seems that too much peace encourage the oppenents to go for cultural victory overall.

10. ParadigmShifter

AI Brennus is a bit of a doofus though since he is warlike and yet still goes for culture.

11. georgjorge

georgjorge Deity Wannabe

The annoying thing about Mansa is that he'll pursue that Culture victory while being a voluntary vassal to the most powerful civ out there, so razing those cities becomes quite a large-scale operation. Does anyone know how fast he'll get the victory on average, i.e. is there a chance to get to space before he goes culture (Immortal level)? He turned off his research right after Scientific Method...

12. happyturtle

happyturtle Mrs GrumpyOldCivver

You can also send spies in and sabotage their culture buildings to slow them down if you don't want to go to war.

13. Scoottr

Scoottr Prince

Mine usually go Culture or Spacerace. Most of the time they just lumber through and I can't tell what the heck the plan is.

I wish more would go for Conquest or Domination...I play random civs and no matter what they are rare to fight each other.

14. ParadigmShifter

Shaka is normally the best at war although I've seen Charlemagne go for it with nukes.

15. Willem

Willem Deity

What game are you playing? I've never seen, or even heard of, the AI winning a domination or conquest victory. Culture, Space Race and occasionaly Diplomatic is about all it really knows how to accomplish.