1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

AI armies

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Rastajoint, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Rastajoint

Rastajoint Chieftain

HI

Damn... in all games i play i cant just organize decent armies to take enemy cities... And puff, when i look to my borders i just watch the AI armies stacks with 4 catapults, 4 knights and + some random units... its always the same, their military power is immense (and also all the cities defended with like 3 longmen). Their units come from everywhere (lol same with barbarians...)

I´m having huge problems with my military tactics...

2. killmeplease

killmeplease Mk Z on Steam

you must to have 1-2 hi production cities that constantly builds only military (or hero epic, forge and so on to increase production). this will be enough for defence. if you preparing for offensive war, most of your cities have to build units for 10-20 turns. the key strategy is concentrate on something at sertain time - on producing buildings, expansion, preparing for war etc.

3. unclethrill

unclethrill Why am I up right now?

Lots of catapults. Let me say this again, build lots of catapults. Roll up with about 15 of them and in one turn you can knock down all the walls and collateral damage everyone in the city. They are way overpowered but since the AI uses them so effectively there is no reason why the human player shouldn't also.

4. Rastajoint

Rastajoint Chieftain

Ye i know... cata´s are a must to attack... But still, i miss the organization and time to build units... seems that i have like 20 military units and my enemy already has 40 (even if lower on tech)

But tks for the advices

5. Magma_Dragoon

Magma_Dragoon Reploid

AI can't use them as well as a human.

6. buffalo6542

buffalo6542 Nuke Maniac

Plan. If you plan to have a war with AI, prepare in advance. And if you think an AI is preparing for war against you give them something. that will buy you ten turns.

7. blitzkrieg1980

blitzkrieg1980 Octobrist

Whip your citizens in emergency situations. Mounted units are good distractions as they can pillage the enemy resources diverting their attention to those important mines.

8. Stoney the I

Stoney the I Prince

I have one city at unitproduction all the time (heroic epic city) but if i plan for war i usually pick a tech when i want to go in.
    Then I usually build in "waves"

if for instance i'm rome, I can choose to go to war with construction. then in the 30 turns or so before construction ALL my cities build pretorians and the 30 turns thereafter ALL cities build catapults.

if im english and i choose to go with rifling, 30 turns before the tech is done all cities build trebs, 30 turns thereafter rifles.

30 being a number chosen on mapsize, opponent etc, its highly variable, but you get the idea. the benefit of this tactic is that yr main stack isnt standing around for 100 turns costing money. they are build and thrown onto the battlefield rather quikly.

if you have a good economy but are not very productive, you can build a load of crappy units and upgrade them once the tech hits, but thats not very efficient. sometimes its a good tactic if its in the stars.

in defence i usually build whatever i can with walls around it (combination axes , archers, 1 or 2 spearmen). if the AI sends a massive SoD, at least they'll have losses when striking the first blow. having a small strike force standby (with some cats preferably) to hit them after they received damage is great. this stack doesnt have to be huge, just enough to take the bite out of their attack. let them crash into a city, then mop up. you can do that with less then half the AI's units.

9. I_M_Weasel

I_M_Weasel Chieftain

You don't have to have the most units, having more units where the fight is, is the important thing.

10. jackdog

jackdog Warlord

Gifting an AI doesn't cause a 10 turn peace or I would gift every AI 1 gold every ten turns and never build a unit! Only giving into a demand or making one and them giving does this.

Yup its all about the planning. You should be thinking when I get cats online I will start war with 'x' and take these cities before trying for peace and then all resources are ploghed into that task. If you try and expand and build libraries and get a stack together at the same time you will fail. As someone said they might have twice as many units overall but if most of yours are in one place the city will fall. I rarely use cats to knock down defenses as the planning should always include esponage points. I usually put all points to one AI from very early on with the plan eventually they will fall. Even if circumstances play out and you attack someone without the points for a revolt or two its a fine line between reducing the defensive bonus and just attacking the units with the cats/trebs as you need loads to get the defenses down and if you have superior units as you should then just those few points off their strength an that 60% defense isn't that important. This has the major advatage of saving a turn when another longbow or two could arrive to reinforce, and bang goes the plan. Having the better units is very necesary or you need absolutely loads of the same unit as well as loads of cats/trebs.

My strategy for war usually centers on being first to a military tech like cats or rifles and then building nothing but them so make it easy. The techs you have to miss on the way as you must seriously beeline at every expense for it to work well can be donbe later and some will be part of the peace deal when you have kicked their arse. Even onb Monarch I can 50% of the time face longbows, maces and maybe the odd musket with rifles. war is then easy peasy....

Plan..Plan...Plan

11. pumpkin

pumpkin Chieftain

Rastajoint, you must ask yourself where you are on the production curve. Press F9 and check 'manufacturing'. You don't want to fall behind the AI there.

Perhaps you are slaving your population too much and thus hampering your growth to really productive and competetive levels?

Perhaps you have expanded too much for your economy and thus need to build buildings in your cities all the time to compensate for that and thus have not the time to build units that you would be able to build if your economy were sound.

I read your question as being fundamentally about empire tactics rather than military tactics. And as such, your first step should be to combine killmeplease's advice with an analysis of your empire's productivity along the lines I outlined.

12. The Fishman

The Fishman Resident Megalomaniac

To build a good medieval war stack you need more than just 20 units. Start by running Theocracy (or vassalage) and make sure that you have barracks in your high-production cities. Then, make them build catapults or trebuchets if they are availiable. 8-12 of these is good. Promote some of them to Barrage 1 and accuracy, and promote a smaller number to barrage 2 if you really want to. Then, build the city-killers. These should be macemen, as they can be given city-raider promotions. Build 15-20 of these, and stack them with the catapults. This is the main core of your army, they are the ones who will be doing the important job: attacking cities.

Once your core is finished, you need to add counter units. Counter units aren't usually as strong as the attack units in the earlier eras, but they get bonuses against different units, defending the stack against all counter-attackers. Crossbows are a good counter unit. Build five of these and put them in the stack. They also have the advantage of being able to hold cities quite well as they can be promoted to city garrison. Another good counter is the Pikeman. It's very weak, but has a massive bonus against mounted units. It comes with quite a late tech though, so spearmen may have to do. Put 2-3 of these in the stack.

Then, its time for various odds and ends you might want to include. Knights are non-essential as cavalry screens are not that effective in the Medieval era, but they are still useful. They are good at pillaging improvements, and the AI wastes their units on attacking them rather than forming a coherent counterattack force. They can do flanking attacks against catapults and trebuchets as well, so if there are enemy stacks coming for you, you can easily route the seige weapons. If you want build 15 or so of these, maybe more.
    Another unit that is a good idea to use is the Longbowman. Not a good attacker, but its ability to defend cities is unparalleled before gunpowder. Build one longbowman for each city that you intend to keep, that way you will not have to divert the actual fighting parts of the stack off to garrison cities whilst you wait for a new longbow to be built.
    Then come war elephants. Impressive and very strong against mounted units, but not really necessary. They are very expensive, so build three or four.

Now that the stack is ready, switch back to org. religion and move towards enemy territory. Use the tactics screen to draw lines and arrows to plan your attack path. Avoid attacking across rivers. Avoid attacking hills and forests. Never, ever attack a forested hill from across a river. Once your troops have gone as far as possible without declaring war, contact your target and tell him about how good his head would look hoisted up on one of your pikes. Begin your invasion, but take care of the large numbes of counterattacking units the AI will throw at you in the initial stages of the war.