1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

AI attacking city states every game is frustrating

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by schondette, Jun 10, 2018.

1. schondette

schondette Chieftain

In every game i have played since Rise and Fall. the AI has been relentless in attacking city states. I find this to pretty game breaking and ultimately I have stopped playing for the time. Its kind of frustrating playing at all with this inevitability along with the all the other poor AI behavior. Have the developers addressed this at all? i dont really pay attention to the Civ community but this has ruined my experienced to the point i feel i have to express my concern with the small chance some change can occur.

thanks

2. Morino1914

Morino1914 Chieftain

Agree, they should be able to better defend them self early. And for that we have mods: CS starts with walls.

3. schondette

schondette Chieftain

You dont even get a chance to defend them until AFTER there annexed which defeats the purpose

4. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Fred Barbarossa, Gorgo, Alexander and Genghis laugh at your frustration.
    Play against opponents that aren't as aggressive, or get a mod.

Cedbird77 likes this.
  5. Starwars

Starwars Chieftain

I know some people are not really onboard with mods but I can't recommend the Citystate walls mod enough.

Having it installed may not make sense "tech-wise" of course but it makes the game unfold in a way that just makes a lot more sense.

6. schondette

schondette Chieftain

nearly all of them are aggressive. save a couple. not a real solution here.

worth a shot. id really like to get into a game. thanks for the headsup

7. MarigoldRan

MarigoldRan WARLORD

It's less frustrating then when they attack you.

8. Cedbird77

Cedbird77 Chieftain

I too wish City states were more prepared to defend themselves.

But I also feel until that happens I adjust. I always build an army big enough to defend my Civ from a multi nation attack.

Give me a few turns I can build an invasion army to take back a CS I care about.

In my current game as China. The Cree had ate up like 3 CS. But they were Religious so I did not care. I am playing cultural.

Now they are bordering a CS I am Suzerain of. I don't want to fight. But I am ready.

Defending CS and liberating CS has its benefits and fun. I look it at it that way. I don't mind it as much as some.

Socrates99 likes this.
  9. Pietato

Pietato Chieftain

And if the Cree weere your allies or friends?
    What if they ate up Auckland, Stockholm and Kumasi at the start?
    What if several other AI ate the rest?

It needs a fix.

10. acluewithout

acluewithout Chieftain

It’s tricky though, isn’t it?

Because sometimes capturing city states is a smart strategy.

Because the AI capturing city states also gives you city states to rescue.

Because the AI capturing city states triggers Emergencies which, if Emergencies weren’t awful, would be fun.

Because sometimes you, the player, want to capture city states, and if they were too tough you wouldn’t be able to do it.

And because if City States were super tough, that would be a problem when they follow their suzerain into battle.

11. MrRadar

MrRadar Chieftain

Then there's a nice choice for you when the time for renewal comes, what's more valuable for you - they as such friends/allies or going and freeing that CS?

So what? Nothing a few more units can't solve, if they're that important to you.

Surely you're not aiming to be friends with every AI? Pick what swallowed CSs could matter for you and become a hero liberator for them. As for the other CSs, I couldn't care less what's become of them...

Nah, I feel that now things are about right. Apart from anything else, it is a good illustration how OCC is to turn out in most cases in this game :)

12. Ferocitus

Ferocitus Warlord

Empires are built by creating cities, as well as by "absorbing" city-states.
    Some civs, by design in the game, have bonuses against city-states; others get
    advantages from keeping city-states under their control. If you don't like that,
    then get a mod to play the way you want. There is no need to modify the base
    game to suit a few people who can't handle the aggressiveness of some civs.

Socrates99, Naktis and Karpius like this.
  13. Karpius

Karpius Chieftain

This is the sort of thread that seems contradictory to many other threads that complain of the AI's lack of aggression, or how "easy" the game is.

It also fits nicely into the historical context of the "big guy" gobbling up the "little guy"

If the developers read this forum at all, it must surely prompt them into coin flipping sessions to decide what direction to take next.

tzu likes this.
  14. Guynemer

Guynemer Chieftain

The only problem I have with AI aggression towards CSs is that when they lose control over them due to loyalty issues, they become "free cities" instead of turning back into a CS.

15. BlackSmokeDMax

BlackSmokeDMax Chieftain

Didn't they state that they worked on this for the recent patch? Perhaps just needs a bit more tweaking? I have seen them disappearing still but not as often as in the past.

16. Archon_Wing

Archon_Wing Vote for me or die

Actually there is no contradiction at all. The AI rolling over CSs doesn't make the game harder. In fact, it can make it easier.

The human player can also conquer City States too.

TheMeInTeam and Ferocitus like this.
  17. UWHabs

UWHabs Warlord

Yeah, this has been my take, too. With the fixes they've done the last patch or two, I find that if I start the game with 9 city-states, probably 3 of them will get gobbled up by an AI, but the rest will generally speaking stick around. And I do find that they can last now for a little longer than they used to - I remember before when you'd see 4 of them taken out before turn 30, and now usually 1 dies early, but the others can last for a little bit. Some games it's more than others, sure, but there's enough that stick around that I don't feel like I'm wasting all my early envoys.

18. Victoria

Victoria Regina Supporter

For me, I love it.
    Firstly I will try and push an envoy quest in as many CS as possible on my continent because that increases my chance of an emergency... but I will not push more. I’ll wait for the CS to be taken and then take it amd Free it for 3 envoys.
    Also, let’s say Kumasi is heavily contested I will not bother but instead take the city, let if flip, take it and liberate it for 3 envoys as well as destroying theirs.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Socrates99, tzu and Ferocitus like this.
  19. Fluphen Azine

Fluphen Azine What is Fluphen Azine?

Let us be honest... many of us would roll the CS's if they are close to us anyway so either the AI rolls them or we do. Heck many times I will train my troops on the CS and I don't play with any mods but if I played with a CS Wall Mod... my units would get even faster promotions I think. At least that is the idea with training Troops on CS's and Walls.

Ferocitus likes this.
  20. Pietato

Pietato Chieftain

What are you talking about? The AI does not lack aggression, it lacks skill. No one complains about a lack of aggression...